none
Open Excel 2010 in 1 instance/Window

Question

• Hi,

I am running Windows 7 with Office 2010. I recently upgraded to 2010, and the main purpose for my upgrade is I wanted to be able to open excel files either from the web, e-mail or through windows explorer in 1 excel "instance" or window so that I can work between those open spreadsheets. I learned if I upgrade to 2010 from 2007, it would fix that issue.

Unfortunately,I still have the issue that every time I click to open a new file, it opens it as a new instance/window. I've tried checking and unchecking "Ignore other applications that use DDE" under Excel options and that has not fixed the issue. Also, I've used excel 2010 on colleagues' computers, and they do not have this issue. Is there an issue with the registry? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.<o:p></o:p>

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You are right. You may have the corrupted registry keys which could affect opening Excel files.

I would suggest renaming the following registry keys, and then repair Office again to recreate new keys.

Important
    This method is related to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you do it carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12
    And
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8

Sincerely
    Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 16, 2012 7:22 AM