none
MS09-027 not updating wordconv.exe

Question

• I have an incident where I need to update the version of wordconv.exe from file version 12.0.6425.1000 to 12.0.6500.5000.  When I go to the MS09-027 page and try to install the update, I get a message that shows that I already have the update (which I do), but the problem is that the update didn't update the wordconv.exe file.  I've seen this happen on different machines with different products and wasn't sure if there was a way to fix this.  As it stands, any update suggested that I try has already been installed, but the update didn't update this file.

I did some research and stumbled to a link that had update information pertaining to wordconv.exe and updating it to 12.0.6500.5000, but when I tried to install it, I got a message that the update was installed, yet when I check the file and version, it's still 12.0.6425.1000.

I'm not sure what to do from here, anyone got any ideas?  All help is appreciated.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Which update in this security bulletin are you referring to, KB969613?

If this is the situation, please try to uninstall the update first: go to control panel > Uninstall a program, check the box before: shows updates (XP), or click View installed updates from the left pane (Vista or Windows 7), and then you can see the update if it is installed. Uninstall it.

You can also download the update manually from the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=63bd8f14-e736-46ce-af66-d30f17461e5a

Then, reboot the computer into safe mode (Press F8 when starting Windows and choose Safe Mode), click to install the downloaded update again.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, December 09, 2010 6:42 AM
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Which update in this security bulletin are you referring to, KB969613?

If this is the situation, please try to uninstall the update first: go to control panel > Uninstall a program, check the box before: shows updates (XP), or click View installed updates from the left pane (Vista or Windows 7), and then you can see the update if it is installed. Uninstall it.

You can also download the update manually from the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=63bd8f14-e736-46ce-af66-d30f17461e5a

Then, reboot the computer into safe mode (Press F8 when starting Windows and choose Safe Mode), click to install the downloaded update again.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, December 09, 2010 6:42 AM
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:40 AM
  • Sally,

When I try and look for the update it is not listed but when I try and manully run the update it tells me that the update is already installed. Is there another way to find this update and uninstall it?

Monday, September 26, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Has there been an answer to this? I receive the exact same thing.
    Wednesday, May 01, 2013 2:38 PM