none
Dumb question probably: After all this beta testing we've done, do we get a free or discounted Office Prof 2010?

Question

• OK, this is probably a lala land question, but after beta testing Office 2010 Professional all these months and sharing bug reports, fixes, and workarounds, is Microsoft granting us a free or discounted copy? MS gave out free Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit operating systems for RC testers/intro party givers. Any chance for office?

Thanks

Eric T, Scottsdale AZ
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:22 PM

Answers

• OK... Pitty :-(

I do find this funny though because I got a free copy of Windows 7 and the testing that I did for the product was... 10% in comparison to what I have done for Office 2010.

I sent dozens of screenshots and feebacks on the techpreview (which I was invited to) AND the public beta. Tried in in both 32-bit and 64-bit installs, under different OSes (using Virtual Machines...) you name it. I guess I got over-excited thinking that we would get a free copy of Office 2010 the same way we got for Windows 7.

Well... Got figure! :-)

Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:42 AM

All replies

• No. There are no free copies or special reduced prices for beta testers. You get the same deals as everyone else.
    Simon Jones http://pcpro.co.uk
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:58 PM
  • OK... Pitty :-(

I do find this funny though because I got a free copy of Windows 7 and the testing that I did for the product was... 10% in comparison to what I have done for Office 2010.

I sent dozens of screenshots and feebacks on the techpreview (which I was invited to) AND the public beta. Tried in in both 32-bit and 64-bit installs, under different OSes (using Virtual Machines...) you name it. I guess I got over-excited thinking that we would get a free copy of Office 2010 the same way we got for Windows 7.

Well... Got figure! :-)

Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:42 AM
  • Hello pmdci,

We appreciate the hard work all of our beta testers do. This is our statement regarding your question:

We do not distribute or make free software available to Beta testers or any participants as part of our early adopter programs for Office 2010 and SharePoint 2010.

Thanks.
    Sean Francis

• Proposed as answer by Simon Jones [MSDL] Thursday, May 13, 2010 5:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:25 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sally Tang Monday, May 24, 2010 6:34 AM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Hi Sean,

While I appreciate your time in replying to us, I'd rather had no answer at all than an a "press statement" sort of reply.

I do understand that Office and Windows are compltly different products form different business divisions within MSFT, but this certainly discourages beta testing, at least to the open public.

If I am a MSFT Partner such as a SharePoint consultancy (since you mentioned SharePoint) or a ISV that develops for the Office Suite, sure that it should be enough and in my best interest that MSFT gave me the opportunity to beta test the upcoming product, so I can plan and adapt my marketing/corporate strategy.... But as for the general users from an Open Beta? Humm...

Just my 2cents (well, I would say my 15,000 based on the time and effort I put in testing OFfice 2010, sending bug reports, participating on the newsgroups, sending feedbacks and screenshots to MFST and so on).

But hey, in don't recall MSFT making any promises that tech previwers, closed beta testers or open beta testers would get a free copy, so I guess the joke is on us, right? :)

Shame on me!

P.

• Edited by pmdci Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:11 PM grammar
    • Proposed as answer by Jeff Feng -MSFT Monday, May 24, 2010 2:07 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jeff Feng -MSFT Monday, May 24, 2010 2:08 AM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:07 PM
  • It all boils down to numbers, in this case $$. There would be thousands of beta testers. Come on, it is not practical to give free copies to one and all.

However, I am sure - you attend a Microsoft event and you may get one free. Check it out.

-- ThanQ...

Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Irrelevant. So there was thousands of beta testers for Windows 7. It is just a different business division from MFST, so a different statement.

As I said in my previous post, MSFT didn't promised anything. So, shame on me. 'Nuff said.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:59 PM
  • Nope Microsoft never gives out RTM copies to beta testers. Because beta is released to the public and therefore we don't give the RTMs because its the main market of income.
    Friday, May 21, 2010 1:50 AM
  • So what exactly is the incentive to beta test software for Microsoft? I guess they just expect everyone to do their work for them. I'm surprised that the only response from MSFT is from what could be a "bot".

Without testers there would be no RTM so MSFT should really rethink their policy on this. Eventually the pool of beta testers will dry up as they get frustrated from lack of acknowledgment.

Friday, May 21, 2010 4:04 PM
  • Nope Microsoft never gives out RTM copies to beta testers. Because beta is released to the public and therefore we don't give the RTMs because its the main market of income.

Kenenethan,

You're not trying to steal Sean Francis's job, are you?

• Edited by pmdci Friday, May 21, 2010 4:12 PM fbfggfgfgdf
    Friday, May 21, 2010 4:11 PM
  • No. There are no free copies or special reduced prices for beta testers. You get the same deals as everyone else.

Actually I am supposed to get a free copy in June. Received an email yesterday.

Friday, May 21, 2010 4:14 PM
  • You get to see the latest version 6 to 9 months ahead of everyone else. You get to influence its development. You get to test it against your documents/procedures/other software. You get to see where Microsoft if going with it before it hits the shops/your workplace.

Office 2010 Beta was downloaded over nine million times. Do you really think that Microsoft can afford to give away that many copies of Office for free?

Friday, May 21, 2010 4:18 PM
  • So what exactly is the incentive to beta test software for Microsoft? I guess they just expect everyone to do their work for them. I'm surprised that the only response from MSFT is from what could be a "bot".

Without testers there would be no RTM so MSFT should really rethink their policy on this. Eventually the pool of beta testers will dry up as they get frustrated from lack of acknowledgment.

You are wasting your time between Microsoft press statements and other Microsoft bots-wannabes like our pals up in this thread.

Friday, May 21, 2010 4:18 PM
  • You get to see the latest version 6 to 9 months ahead of everyone else. You get to influence its development. You get to test it against your documents/procedures/other software. You get to see where Microsoft if going with it before it hits the shops/your workplace.

Office 2010 Beta was downloaded over nine million times. Do you really think that Microsoft can afford to give away that many copies of Office for free?

There is a big difference between "seeing" the latest version 6 to 9 months ahead of everyone else and beta testing. As far as influence its development... are you serious? You think that they will change the product based on MY feedback?
    Friday, May 21, 2010 4:30 PM
  • If you give valuable feedback then the product may well change. I know several instances where features changed in response to feedback. The "File" menu, adding pens to the QAT in OneNote...

Face facts, the public beta is as much a marketing effort to drum up interest as it is an attempt to find and fix bugs. Even the Technical Preview had several different levels of participation with only some of the TP users allowed to formally report bugs through the Connect web site. Most people just got to Send a Smile or post in these forums.

It is up to Microsoft to set the terms of their Beta programmes. If you don't want to be involved on their terms then don't be. But they didn't/couldn't promise free copies of the finished software to everyone.

Friday, May 21, 2010 4:46 PM
  • Nope, I am not stealing his job. My job scope is not in Office team. But yes, we do not give out RTMs to beta testers, because these testers are the public who test Office 2010 on their freewill, and not testers from Microsoft. So since the general public has a large number of people testing it, there is too many people to give the RTMs to, and therefore do not give RTMs to "testers".

The beta testing is also for the public to see the software before it is released, and to allow you to play around with the software before you buy it. Unless there is a certain agreement with you and Microsoft that by testing it, you get a free RTM then that is a different case.

If should you have MSDN account, Microsoft Office 2010 is released there already, and you can get the license from MSDN.

I hope you understand that.

Yup!

Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:24 AM
  • Nope, I am not stealing his job. My job scope is not in Office team. But yes, we do not give out RTMs to beta testers, because these testers are the public who test Office 2010 on their freewill, and not testers from Microsoft. So since the general public has a large number of people testing it, there is too many people to give the RTMs to, and therefore do not give RTMs to "testers".

The beta testing is also for the public to see the software before it is released, and to allow you to play around with the software before you buy it. Unless there is a certain agreement with you and Microsoft that by testing it, you get a free RTM then that is a different case.

If should you have MSDN account, Microsoft Office 2010 is released there already, and you can get the license from MSDN.

I hope you understand that.

Yup!

Hi,

I am confused. First and foremost, I wasn't a public beta tester I was invited by Microsoft for the Technical Preview, the same way that I was invited for Windows 7, and I got a copy of windows 7.

Yes, yes, yes... Office is 'Office' and Windows is 'Windows' (two different business divisions as I mentioned earlier). But you see, what confuses me is that I JUST READ an article by Neowin.net (here is the source: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-dishes-out-free-copies-of-office-2010-to-beta-testers) saying that TECHNICAL BETA TESTERS OF OFFICE 2010 ARE GOING TO RECEIVE A COMPLIMENTARY COPY.

So, since I participated in the Office 2010 Technical Preview, and I sent loads of screenshots and feedbacks to Microsoft about the products. I wasn't a public beta tester. Therefore, I hereby kindly ask: "If I may, where is my copy, please? :)"

UPDATE: I did contact Microsoft requesting some clarifications on their criteria of complimentary copies of Office 2010 Professional giveaway, and here is a transcript of the chat I had with a MSFT representative:

I have a quite long relationship with Microsoft and I do know that Windows and Office are two completly separated business divisions. And just because I got a complimentary copy of Windows 7 Ultimate for participating on CONNECT, doesn't mean I would for office 2010. The thing is, Microsoft **IS** giving giving complimentary copies of Office 2010 Professional for those who participated in the technical preview (like I did). So I think it is only fair that I assume, or query, if I shoud expect one as well.

Now of course this could be a random, selective process (like when you are "radomly selected" at US airports for security checks). Well if that is the case I would understand as well. I will NOT BE HAPPY, but I will understand. It is MSFT prerrogative after all and I will respect it.

But I will surely think twice next time I am invited to test Microsoft products, give feedbacks on SharePoint and windows beta exams and so on. I mean, who wouldn't? Why spend yor spare time onto something that will give you no return?

And I got the following answer:

I can imagine your frustration. Putting myself in your situation, I would find it just as equally perplexing. However, as I have mentioned earlier, we still have limited information on Office 2010, along with its promotions and offers, on our end as the product is relatively new. We even have yet to be updated on this matter where complimentary copies are being given out. Nevertheless, for further help on your concern, you may wish to get in touch with Digital River, a Microsoft subsidiary that oversees Office 2010, by visiting the following page: https://store.digitalriver.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayEmailCustomerServicePage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=findmyor

Alternatively, you may also reach them at 1-888-922-1864. They are available Mondays through Fridays, 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.

To be honest I am have my doubts if Digital River would be able to provide us with any additional information. So I reckon that Technical Previewers would have to play the game of wait and see. I just hope Microsoft give us some more information about the eligibility criteria directly form Microsoft.

• Edited by pmdci Saturday, June 19, 2010 12:34 AM update information from MSFT customer rep
    Friday, June 18, 2010 9:42 PM
  • This does not surprise me one bit, as I have been involved in several MS beta programs throughout the years starting with Flight Simulator back in the early '80s.

Nothing ever was free with the exception of several floppy 5 1/4 disks for the Flight Simulator software back in the day.

I even had to return the UltimateTv beta box that I tested as I poured my heart and soul into this MS Directv flop.

• Edited by Kev jr Thursday, September 02, 2010 4:34 AM Corrections
    Thursday, September 02, 2010 4:30 AM