none
Linking .mdf and .ldf to SQL Server 2008 R2

Question

• Microsoft consumer 2nd level support moved my BCM SQL databases from the appdata folder into a folder on my desktop, breaking the SQL database link to Outlook BCM/SQL SVR 2008 R2, and say they don't know how to reconnect it.   They have dialled in and struggled valiantly, but say they are not trained on the software and were looking up forums and posts to find the info they needed.  They have now given up, and say I need pro support. Pro support won't help, saying it is because it is a stand alone PC.   

So, the department that broke it can't fix it, and the department they refer me to won't help.   

The original .mdf and .ldf file pair are fully intact and backed up, and we also have rebuilt versions with changed permissions and properties which generate an error message saying they are version 661, and the SQL server only supports up to version 655.  There are many explanations for this in various discussion groups, but at this point support gave up.  It seems to me they were within a whisker of succeeding.  

I have not been able to access my customer data since that remote dial in session on November 9th, and really need to get my business going properly again.  

Where do I go?  

Who do I need to contact?

Case number is  122 442 6644.   All suggestions welcome....

(pasted from another forum on recomendation)

Thanks,

Chris

Saturday, December 07, 2013 2:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Please refer to the blog below:

SQL Server 2008 R2 bumps the database version

http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/paul/sql-server-2008-r2-bumps-the-database-version/

One word of caution: any database attached to a 2008 R2 server will have the database physical version number increased to 661. The database version number for 2008 RTM and SP1 is 655. This means that you won't be able to take that 2008 R2 database and attach it back (or backup/restore it back) to 2008 RTM, SP1, or SP2.

This article below explains Why an SQL Server Database from a higher version cannot be restored onto a lower version of SQL Server:

http://www.mytechmantra.com/LearnSQLServer/Unable_to_Restore_Database_From_Backup.html

You can also refer to the thread below, there may be some useful information from other users that helps:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/f8f8db38-3c20-45e4-ae8b-4cc097eb7f0d/cannot-read-sql-server-2008-database-version-increased-to-661-from-655?forum=sqldatabaseengine

Regards.

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:10 PM
  • Thanks, Melon Chen, but the situation is that only SQL 2008 R2 has ever been on this computer, which was rebuilt from a fresh image as a recommendation from L2 consumer support as part of trying to resolve this issue.  They have been just as unsuccessful since I did that - the technician responsible tells me he is not sufficiently trained on SQL.  The latest suggestion is that the mdf file is corrupt, but since I have the original mdf and ldf with the correct time stamps and only copies have been used, that makes no sense to me.

The real problem remains - L2 consumer support in the Outlook group broke it, they say they can't fix it, they keep trying to involve Pro support.  However, Pro support say they only work on networks, not the stand alone PC that I have as a consultancy business.

So I need some way of breaking this cycle, which is still going on. On Tuesday I was promised a call from Pro support,  and hearing nothing I spoke with a supervisor today, who promised to send an email to get me "an immediate call back".  He meant it, he was sincere, but again nothing has happened.  

Who can I speak to who is able to exercise some authority and direct that a fix needs to be made, and task the appropriate resource?  I am fed up of being the victim in the middle of this Microsoft in-house fight.....

Chris

Friday, December 20, 2013 3:25 PM