none
Word 2010: Footnotes losing last sentence in normal view but in print preview/print they show

Question

• Hello,

My office is using both Word 2010 & Word 2007, and I have seen this problem on both versions.  When footnoting is used with a long footnote, the last  sentence will occasionally drop off.  Users look for the remaining footnote on the subsequent page, but it's not there either.  It's just gone.  However, I have found that when the user tries to print the document, or uses print preview then goes back to the normal Word view, the last sentence appears as it should.  Is this a known bug?  Is there something I can do to prevent the last line from disappearing?

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 7:01 PM

All replies

• is it due to printer margin setup issue? it might be exceed the print area and the footnote being truncated by the printer.

Friday, June 03, 2011 1:06 AM
  • The footnote actually shows up correctly on the printer (and print preview).  And after the user goes to print preview and then back to the normal "Print Layout" view, the last line in the footnote correctly appears.   So, printing or print previewing fixes the view of the document.  Before doing that the last line is hidden somewhere.

Monday, June 13, 2011 7:35 PM
  • I was hoping to see an answer here since I have a user having the same problem.  I think it's a bug.  In the Drafts view I can see the full footnote and in the Print Preview I can see the long footnote, but when working in the Print Layout view, it always cuts it off. 
    Jody Krazeise Air Line Pilots Association
    Monday, November 21, 2011 11:21 PM
  • Jodster wrote:
    I was hoping to see an answer here since I have a user having the same problem.  I think it's a bug.  In the Drafts view I can see the full footnote and in the Print Preview I can see the long footnote, but when working in the Print Layout view, it always cuts it off. 

Does this happen with any document containing footnotes or just with a specific one? If it's document-specific, you could try treating it as corrupt and copy the content, minus the final paragraph mark, into a new document. (To show/hide paragraph marks, as well as other nonprinting marks, click the ¶ button.)

Having said that, I'd also like to mention that footnotes may be buggy or at least unpredictable in Word.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 12:06 AM
  • I checked with the end-user and as far as he can tell it's only happening with this document.  I will try and see if I can get him to try your solution and see if it fixes the problem. Thanks for your suggestion.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:49 PM
  • This is happening to me as well. Only the first part of a footnote is showing at the bottom of the page. I have found that if I delete the footnote reference in the body of the text and then Undo, the entire footnote comes back, but the end of it disappears again at random. It must be a bug and writing it off as a corrupt document only emphasises that it's a bug.
    Monday, October 08, 2012 9:50 PM
  • This is happening to me as well. Only the first part of a footnote is showing at the bottom of the page. I have found that if I delete the footnote reference in the body of the text and then Undo, the entire footnote comes back, but the end of it disappears again at random. It must be a bug and writing it off as a corrupt document only emphasises that it's a bug.

Are you saying that this happens in any document with footnotes? Please describe the steps to reproduce.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Monday, October 08, 2012 10:01 PM