none
How to repeat rows rows at every page in Word 2010 accurately

Question

• In Word 2010 I want to repeat the first row at every page being the heading of a table. I right click & go to Table properties and click on Repeat as header row at the top of each page. However when I do that two more rows in addition to the first row are also repeated on the next page. How to repeat only the first row?
    This mistake may be happening because I copied the first row heading from an another word Document. This error did not happen in that word document I was able to repeat the first row heading on every page. I am using Windows Seven
    Tuesday, May 08, 2012 7:06 PM

Answers

• There may be defects in the Microsoft Word 2010 software itself. After all Microsoft software keeps on upgrading

I could reproduce the problem with one of the documents you shared on SkyDrive. Converting the table to text and then back to table format fixed it, which suggests minor table corruption.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 6:32 PM
  • Converting the table to text and then back to table format fixed it, which suggests minor table corruption. How do you convert a table into text by the eraser or something esle?

• Marked as answer by nebula725 Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:50 PM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:29 PM

All replies

• Select row 2 and 3 and deselect the Repeat Header Rows option on the Table Tools Layout tab.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 7:09 PM
  • I did select row 2 and three and deselected the Repeat Header Rows option on the Table Tools Layout option and then pressed okay but nothing happened. The first row is obviously the Header Row which I want to be repeated on every page in the Table.
    Tuesday, May 08, 2012 7:24 PM
  • Is there any MVP who can solve this question?
    Tuesday, May 08, 2012 8:21 PM
  • One possibility is that nested tables is causing trouble here. If you uploaded a copy of the file to a file sharing site (clear out any information that you don't want to share) and posted a link to it in this thread we would be able to take a look at it.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 9:28 PM
  • This question has already been posted to Experts Exchange Forum a forum of computer experts and its word page editor a sage has still not been able to find a solution to it. I have uploaded the two word documents to that forum having the same question title. http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Office_Productivity/Office_Suites/MS_Office/Word/Q_27707045.html       But I do not know how it is possible to upload the two documents over here.
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 10:38 AM
  • You can't upload files to the Answers forum, which is why I suggested a file sharing site. SkyDrive is one of many possibilities.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 12:58 PM
  • I have installed SkyDrive and have put two Word Documents into the Public folder namely Western Actresses and Western Actors. Nothing private about them I just wanted to digitize the information I had on my note book. Now I  copied the first header row from the word document [a table format] Western Actresses into Western Actors document and all went fine but when I want to repeat the same row Header on to the next page in the same word document i.e. Western Actors two rows beneath the Header row also get repeated.  I hope you will have acess to my SkyDrive
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 2:06 PM
  • Sorry, I don't use SkyDrive much, but I believe you will have to make the file public; then you can have SkyDrive create a link to it. That link can then be pasted into a message in this thread.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 2:18 PM
  • I have never used SkyDrive before but since I had to share files so that you could see what the problem lies.

There are two links one for Western Actors doc. and the other is for Western Actresses doc. I hope that I have got the links right.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=8682dc26bfa75164&resid=8682DC26BFA75164!125&parid=8682DC26BFA75164!104&authkey=!AN2xlbNQ5dNvdvU

and the other

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=8682dc26bfa75164&resid=8682DC26BFA75164!126&parid=8682DC26BFA75164!104&authkey=!AASPaTBLdtEH0P0

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 2:40 PM
  • There may be defects in the Microsoft Word 2010 software itself. After all Microsoft software keeps on upgrading
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 2:57 PM
  • Hi,

In Word 2010 I want to repeat the first row at every page being the heading of a table. I right click & go to Table properties and click on Repeat as header row at the top of each page. However when I do that two more rows in addition to the first row are also repeated on the next page. How to repeat only the first row?

select the entire table. Disable "Repeat as Header Row" in Table Properties, or on Table Tools Layout. Then just select the first row of your table and choose "Repeat as Header Row".

--
    Cheers
    Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 4:43 PM
  • If I select the entire table I cannot go into Table Properties, the Table icon vanishes from the right click options moreover Table Layout option also vanishes from the ribbon option. I have already come across this answer in the internet. The problem is that if I  select the whole document I cannot go into the table properties then.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 5:19 PM
  • The easy way out would be to start a new word document and make the first row header manually and then copy and paste the remaining data but that is not the solution why is Microsoft Word 2010 behaving like this. This is not the first time it has happened to me I then used the short cut option which I just narrated. But this time I would like a solution. 
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 5:24 PM
  • If there some limitations or defects of this software I should be accordingly be informed of this. This question was already put in Experts Exchange an international forum of Computer Experts and the word page expert over there inspite of being a sage could not answer it. MVP have  more direct access to Microsoft.
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 6:12 PM

I could reproduce the problem with one of the documents you shared on SkyDrive. Converting the table to text and then back to table format fixed it, which suggests minor table corruption.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 6:32 PM
  • Hi,

If I select the entire table I cannot go into Table Properties, the Table icon vanishes from the right click options moreover Table Layout option also vanishes from the ribbon option.

I cannot reproduce the problem in your documents.

I have already come across this answer in the internet.

And it works for me.

The problem is that if I  select the whole document I cannot go into the table properties then.

You should not select the whole document, just the whole table.

Cheers
    Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:17 AM
  • check this link this may help you out

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/worddev/thread/324db667-456b-491c-8f7b-753b65b61c1f

Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:05 AM
  • You should not select the whole document, just the whole table. The table is the document. It is merely a table and nothing more. The document only consists of the table nothing more nothing less. If I select the whole table I am selecting thew whole document I think so. 
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:04 PM
  • Converting the table to text and then back to table format fixed it, which suggests minor table corruption. How do you convert a table into text by the eraser or something esle?

• Marked as answer by nebula725 Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:50 PM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:29 PM
  • I am grateful to all the people who contributed to this page. It took me a few minutes to know from Microsoft help how to convert a table into text and then text into table. As for as Lisa Wilke suggestion perhaps I may have not understood her directives. As for as philsmalling the solution suggested was a bit difficult to understand and ultimately thanks to Stefan Blom MVP for the sdolution
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:59 PM
  • On 2012-05-10 22:59 (GMT+1), nebula725 wrote:

I am grateful to all the people who contributed to this page. It took me a few minutes to know from Microsoft help how to convert a table into text and then text into table. As for as Lisa Wilke suggestion perhaps I may have not understood her directives. As for as philsmalling the solution suggested was a bit difficult to understand and ultimately thanks to Stefan Blom MVP for the sdolution

I'm glad I could help!

Note that you'll see what Lisa meant if you display nonprinting marks, for example by pressing the ¶ button on the home tab. The table, even if it is the only item in (the body of) the document, will be followed by a paragraph mark (¶).

To select the table but not the paragraph mark, you can place the insertion point and press Alt+5 (use the number 5 on the numeric keypad, but first turn off NUMLOCK if it is activated).

• Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:30 PM
    • Proposed as answer by S.A.Moughal Wednesday, December 12, 2012 6:42 PM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:27 PM