none
Outlook 2007 error with MS10-045 KB980376 - "The attachment size exceeds the allowable limit"

Question

• I am getting reports from users with the following issue...

After installing MS10-045 KB980376, users who have reoccuring meetings (with no end date) in their Outlook calendar cannot modify that calendar item in any way.  They receive a popup error: "The attachment size exceeds the allowable limit".

De-installing this security patch makes the problem go away.

We have a large corporate environment, running Windows-XP SP3 with Outlook 2007 SP2.

Has anyone else seen this issue?  For now, I have deleted this patch from our SCCM/WSUS deployment.

Thanks,

Nick.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:24 PM

Answers

• In our environment of 14,000 PCs (all patched now), we have been receiving Help Desk calls at the rate of about one or two per day for the last few weeks.  We are finding these calendar items with sizes between 12MB and 50MB.

I received the following feedback from one of our technicians...

I have now spoken with a few clients that have been getting this error:

“The attachment size exceeds the allowable limit.”

I go into their calendar and view the size of the item in question, I usually see the following:

<item size shows  greater than 12MB>

I then have to remove the patch in order to reduce the size as per your procedure.   At this point I advise the client to go through the calendar looking for large items and performing the procedure again while the patch is not installed.  I say to them that the patch will install in a few hours.  I have contacted the clients again the next day (or a few days later) and they are able to work with the calendar item.  

The fix procedure mentioned above is:

1.       The client reports difficulty when attempting to modify this calendar item.

2.       Found that the calendar item size was 13MB, and there was no apparent reason for this large size (ie. no attachments or large embedded pictures).

3.       Attempted to toggle end dates, but received the “Attachment is too large error message”

4.       Removed the patch.  Sometimes, the patch would not de-install so a complete de-install/re-install of the Office suite is required.

5.       Attempted to toggle end dates again.  This time, item size dropped from 13MB to 26KB (or similar size reduction)

6.       The client is now able to work with this calendar item.  It did not need to be deleted or re-created.

7.       The patch will re-install after a few hours (via SCCM/WSUS).

I am now satisfied that the problem is not with the behavior change that resulted from the installation of the patch, but rather with the "corruption" of some calendar items resulting in their size ballooning to >12MB.  The installation of the patch appears to have brought this pre-existing condition to light.

As I'm not aware of how to analyze the guts one of these corrupted calendar items, I must treat it as a black box and be satisfied that toggling the end dates seems to "fix" the problem (in most cases).

Nick.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:13 PM

All replies

• I have seen the same problem. It is very annoying. However, I am unable to uninstall the update with my adminpriviledges. Any suggestions?
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:20 PM
  • Hi Nick,

We are looking into another Calendar issue (in that case, printing) with this update.

We will test this issue also. Thank you for reporting it.

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

Friday, July 30, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Thank you Abdias, I look forward to hearing your findings.  It's good to know that Microsoft is watching these forums.

I planned to contact Microsoft directly next week if the forums did not provide an answer to this issue.

Jminq89, you should be able to de-install the update via your ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS interface in Control Panel.  (Incorrectt: You could also try running the de-install executable in the hidden folder located in \Windows\$NTUninstallKB980376$) .  What is the error message you are getting?

Correction:  This is an Office update, not a Windows update, so it doesn't leave a $NTUninstall folder.  I have come across a few machines where I was unable to uninstall the patch.  See my new post at the end of this thread...

Nick.

Friday, July 30, 2010 9:06 PM
  • Hi Nick,

I'm unable to reproduce this issue. Can you provide more details about the meeting in question, such as number of attendees, if any DLs are included in that list, any attachments, or anything else that you can think of that's beyond a simple, basic meeting.

Of course, the standard process of removing add-ins, etc. should still be followed to ensure there is not a conflict with the security update and third party software.

Thank you,

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

Monday, August 02, 2010 6:18 PM
  • The april hotfix - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981048 - is installed by KB980376 and it has some calendar fixes. The bug probably comes from something in that hotfix.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter
    Monday, August 02, 2010 6:40 PM
  • Thanks Abdias.

I'm performing more testing in my lab.  The problematic "recurring meeting" item I am investigating is 37MB in size.  I am speculating that it has grown to this size over the years thanks to numerous edits, new recipients being added, etc.

I am told that deleting original meeting(s) and recreating fresh ones is not an option.

Similar issue to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2222370/en-us , but those fixes doesn't seem to work for Outlook 2007.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/attach-a-file-or-other-item-to-an-e-mail-message-HP001231950.aspx#BM4 says there's no size limit in Outlook 2007.  Did some 2010 code make it into the 2007 patch?

Could it be hitting the 12MB limit set at the server end?  When I right-click on the calendar item, choose "Categorize", and then select any category, I get the error message.  We did not get this behavior prior to installing 980376.

More to come...

Nick.

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 2:09 PM
  • Hi Nick,

If I understand correctly, other users are seeing this with other meetings, too. I wonder if I could get a copy of a smaller one that's also exhibiting this behavior.

If not, I can set up an upload site to get the here and test on a workstation. Either way, I really need you to drop me a line at cts-aruiz at livedot com so that we can discuss this at length.

Thank you,

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 10:19 PM
  • JMing89 mentions earlier that he could not de-install the patch.

I have also come across a few machines where I was not able to de-install the patch.

I would receive the following error message in the Application Log: MsiInstaller 1020

Product: Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007 - Update 'Security Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 (KB980376)' could not be removed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\DOCUME~1\MYSELF~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\MSI91b95.LOG.

This .LOG files contains the following line:

DEBUG: Error 2259:  Database:  Table(s) Update failed

In these cases, I am de-installing/re-installing the entire Office 2007 suite.

Abdias, I am putting together a procedure that will help reproduce the problem and should have more info for you shortly.

Any appointment that is above the size limit set by our Exchange team (in my case, 12MB), will have this problem.  Seems that prior to this patch being applied, the 12MB limit was not enforced.  Now, with the patch applied, any calendar item that was previously allowed to grow >12MB is now hitting the Exchange size limit.  I cannot change the categorization, nor can I delete the appointment.

Nick.

Monday, August 09, 2010 3:07 PM
  • I am thinking that the problem is more with why some Outlook calendar items are growing in size (without having large embedded pictures or large attachments), rather than the Exchange server size limit being enforced.  It seems that the problem is with recurring calendar items that have no end date.  I am going to try toggling the recurrence schedule from "No end date" to "End after", and then back to "No end date" to see if the item size goes down.  Results to come...
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:07 PM
  • In our environment of 14,000 PCs (all patched now), we have been receiving Help Desk calls at the rate of about one or two per day for the last few weeks.  We are finding these calendar items with sizes between 12MB and 50MB.

I received the following feedback from one of our technicians...

I have now spoken with a few clients that have been getting this error:

“The attachment size exceeds the allowable limit.”

I go into their calendar and view the size of the item in question, I usually see the following:

<item size shows  greater than 12MB>

I then have to remove the patch in order to reduce the size as per your procedure.   At this point I advise the client to go through the calendar looking for large items and performing the procedure again while the patch is not installed.  I say to them that the patch will install in a few hours.  I have contacted the clients again the next day (or a few days later) and they are able to work with the calendar item.  

The fix procedure mentioned above is:

1.       The client reports difficulty when attempting to modify this calendar item.

2.       Found that the calendar item size was 13MB, and there was no apparent reason for this large size (ie. no attachments or large embedded pictures).

3.       Attempted to toggle end dates, but received the “Attachment is too large error message”

4.       Removed the patch.  Sometimes, the patch would not de-install so a complete de-install/re-install of the Office suite is required.

5.       Attempted to toggle end dates again.  This time, item size dropped from 13MB to 26KB (or similar size reduction)

6.       The client is now able to work with this calendar item.  It did not need to be deleted or re-created.

7.       The patch will re-install after a few hours (via SCCM/WSUS).

I am now satisfied that the problem is not with the behavior change that resulted from the installation of the patch, but rather with the "corruption" of some calendar items resulting in their size ballooning to >12MB.  The installation of the patch appears to have brought this pre-existing condition to light.

As I'm not aware of how to analyze the guts one of these corrupted calendar items, I must treat it as a black box and be satisfied that toggling the end dates seems to "fix" the problem (in most cases).

Nick.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:13 PM
  • Thank you for the update, Nick.

Just to point out a best practice to others reading this thread, per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899704/en-us we recommend that organizers "add a definite end date when [they] schedule a recurring meeting".

Abdias Ruiz [MSFT]

Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:16 PM
  • I ran into this same problem where a user wanted to modify a recurring meeting with no end date.  I looked at the appointment item in the VBA macro window and saw that it had 21 attachments that were that had accumilated but were not showing on the actual appointment.  The user had sent out a number of attachments in the past but had later removed them.  I wrote some VBA code for outlook to remove all of the attachments for the selected appointment.  It is definately easier to use this than remove a patch and then re-install it.  Here is the code for any that are interested. 

Sub Delete_All_Attachments_From_Appointment()
      On Error Resume Next

Select Case TypeName(Application.ActiveWindow)
        Case "Explorer"

If TypeName(ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1)) = "AppointmentItem" Then
                Set GetApptItem = ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item(1)
            Else
                MsgBox "Error an appointment is not selected."
                Exit Sub
            End If

Case "Inspector"
            If TypeName(ActiveInspector.CurrentItem) = "AppointmentItem" Then
                Set GetApptItem = ActiveInspector.CurrentItem
            Else
                MsgBox "Error an appointment is not selected."
                Exit Sub
            End If
        End Select
        If GetApptItem.Attachments.Count = 0 Then
            MsgBox "This appointment has no attachments."
            Exit Sub
        End If
        intResponse = MsgBox("Subject: " & GetApptItem.Subject & vbCr & _
        "Attachments: " & GetApptItem.Attachments.Count & vbCr & _
        "Total Size: " & GetApptItem.Size & " bytes" & vbCr & vbCr & _
        "This will remove all attachments from this appointment, do you want to continue?", vbYesNo, "Are you sure?")
        If intResponse = vbYes Then
            While GetApptItem.Attachments.Count > 0
                GetApptItem.Attachments(1).Delete
            Wend
            GetApptItem.Save
        End If
        On Error GoTo 0
        'MsgBox "test"
    End Sub

• Proposed as answer by Inyafacein3d Monday, March 28, 2011 3:47 PM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:39 PM
  • Tech Ben,

Great little sub, worked a treat on my issue. Though my meeting did have an end date.

Many thanks,

Peter

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 3:37 PM
  • New poster here.

We have the same issue in my environment. 

Asking MS for a way to prevent the issue but for now I used MFCMapi and opened the calendar entry.  Even though Outlook 2007 and OWA didn't display any attachment I found that PR_HASATTACH, ... was 'TRUE' and the PR_MESSAGE_SIZE was 33222948.

I used Actions/Delete Attachments and the attachment(s) is/are gone, the size is now 11876 and PR_HASATTACH is false.

We did try the script in the message above to no avail.

Hope this helps.

Steve

S. Rowland
    • Proposed as answer by Marty_v Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:12 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Marty_v Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:12 PM
    Thursday, June 02, 2011 2:57 PM
  • We had this issue come up as well and were able to resolve it using the Web App (E2K10).  The Web App pointed to the attachments causing the large sizes and allowed them to be removed.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:15 PM
  • What about when the issue is occurring to Task items and we WANT the item to exceed the outbound imposed limitation.   Outlook 2003 doesn't restrict the size of the Task to be equal to or lesser than the message limitation, why does Outlook 2007 do this?  Is there anyway to remove the size limitation from Tasks?
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:03 PM
  • The file size limitation is set on the SMTP server and it shouldn't matter what version of Outlook is doing the sending- if the SMTP server detects it's too large, it won't send.

Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center

• Proposed as answer by Hemanth Harry Wednesday, December 26, 2012 11:31 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 4:10 AM
  •  We were getting reports from users with the following issue...

Users who have reoccuring meetings (with no end date) in their Outlook calendar cannot modify that calendar item in any way.  They receive a popup error: "The attachment size exceeds the allowable limit". Due to this issue they were unable to Send cancellation of the meeting..either the series/reoccurance.---------------------------We had gone to particular meeting request and reccurance option. Just set the end date or end by..this way issue got resolved for most of them...we were not even able to find any patch for KB980376.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 11:40 AM
  • It worked because setting an end date removed all exceptions, which removed all attachments added to individual occurrences. If you need to keep the exceptions use the macro posted above.

Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Outlook Tips

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 8:21 PM