none
Excel 2010, does not refresh across columns

Question

• Using Excel 2010

If I Copy and "Paste Special / 123 - Values" the text generated from this formula:

=CONCATENATE("'", BA7, " ... ", L7, ", ", M7, ", ", N7, ", ", O7, "  ", P7)

to a cell in another worksheet . . . the concatenate values will span, something like, three columns . . .

If I click into the big cell in the top center, and delete everything to the right of the three dots ( ... ), the text that is in the cell below disappears as expected, but text that was in the other two columns to the right remains.

If I page down, and then up, that refreshes the screen, and the text is gone.

It didn't do this in Excel 2000, it worked how you think it should.  What's up?

• Edited by mb1280 Monday, February 25, 2013 7:38 PM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 7:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my test with CONCATENATE function in Excel 2010, I didn't meet the issue.

Could you show us what the values are for cells BA7, L7, M7, N7, O7 and P7?

And try to use some simple text in the formula to check the issue.

If the issue still occurs with these simple text, then try to start Excel in safe mode to check the issue.

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my test with CONCATENATE function in Excel 2010, I didn't meet the issue.

Could you show us what the values are for cells BA7, L7, M7, N7, O7 and P7?

And try to use some simple text in the formula to check the issue.

If the issue still occurs with these simple text, then try to start Excel in safe mode to check the issue.

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:28 AM
  • I keep track of credit card names, addresses, bill received date, bill due date, and amount, in one worksheet.

I Copy and Paste Special Values 123, the concatenation below, into another worksheet as an entry - which is my checkbook - along with the other info.

The only problem I'm having is with the main entry.

I use a dash, and the last 4 digits, of the credit card number to distinguish them.  Other payees do not start with a dash, because they're all text.

The value in BA7 is a credit card, and requires an apostrophe in front, because it starts with a dash.  If not there, Excel thinks it's a formula with an error, and you get an error message.

Here is the formula, and individual cell values, in their order:

=CONCATENATE("'", BA7, " ... ", L7, ", ", M7, ", ", N7, ", ", O7, "  ", P7)

'-1234 MC Chase
    CHASE
    CARDMEMBER SERVICE
    POB 15153
    WILMINGTON DE
    19886-5153

The visible concatenation shows as:

'-1234 MC Chase ... CHASE, CARDMEMBER SERVICE, POB 15153, WILMINGTON DE  19886-5153

If I don't put a dash in the beginning of the concatenate formula, and I copy and paste that, it thinks it's a minus sign, and it gives you an error: #REF!

. . . After I verify the address from my check book to that on the bank web site, I delete the space before, and everything after, the three periods, to improve readability in my check book - that's where I'm running into this issue.

Maybe it's something to do with the apostrophe, minus sign, and Paste Special Values 123 - Why would that keep it from doing a complete refresh?

Hmm, now I see that it is refreshing the row, but it's leaving a visible, leading apostrophe.  It wasn't doing that before.

A copy and Paste Special Values 123 shows this in the cell now - two leading apostrophes:

''-1234 MC Chase ... CHASE, CARDMEMBER SERVICE, POB 15153, WILMINGTON DE  19886-5153

I wonder what happened.  I don't think I changed anything that I was doing.
    Monday, March 11, 2013 4:57 PM