none
lost temporary file in Word 2010. really need help

Question

• I did two stupid things:

1. I downloaded a word document from gmail but I chose to open it directly instead of saving it and then opening it.  I am sure this created a temporary file somewhere.  I had to Enable Editing afterwards.

2. I made several edits to the document and then didn't save it.

A few minutes ago, my Microsoft Word window just CLOSED.  I don't know if it crashed.  There was no message about any errors, it just disappeared from my taskbar.

I would assume that Word would continue to autosave with a temp file just as it does with a standard file, but I guess I am wrong.  I tried checking the Autosave directory for Word and found nothing.  I believe I opened the file using Internet Explorer 9, so I checked the temp internet files folder in Internet Options and also found nothing.  The file does not show up in my list of recent documents, and opening Word did not show me any prompt to restore Autosaved files.

Can anyone give me some guidance on how I can get back my document with all of its edits?  It must have been stored as a temporary file SOMEWHERE.  I am trying to use Recuva to see if I can find it as a deleted file, but some professional guidance as to which folders I should focus on or what the file might have been named would be helpful (do Autosaves of temp documents get some obscure name, for instance?)

For example, I tested by opening a text file from an email in gmail, and then I tried finding where that text file exists and I could not locate it nor did Windows Explorer search find it, so I'm hoping the file is hiding in that same place.

I'm running Word 2010 on Windows 7 Ultimate.  Thanks.

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 9:33 AM

Answers

• I found the file.  It was located in \user\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5\gibberishdirectory\.  The strange thing is that I can only browse up to \windows\ in that directory path in Windows Explorer and then \temporary internet files\ does not appear.  I do have "Show hidden files and folders" on, so I don't understand why I can't see it.  Windows Search was not helpful either.  I finally found the file by downloading and installing the freeware "Super Finder" which located the file and the secret directory in about 30 seconds (I told it to search in \user\appdata\ because my hunch was I'd find the file there).  Maybe it has something to do with IE9's protected mode?
    Tuesday, February 07, 2012 10:52 AM

All replies

• I found the file.  It was located in \user\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5\gibberishdirectory\.  The strange thing is that I can only browse up to \windows\ in that directory path in Windows Explorer and then \temporary internet files\ does not appear.  I do have "Show hidden files and folders" on, so I don't understand why I can't see it.  Windows Search was not helpful either.  I finally found the file by downloading and installing the freeware "Super Finder" which located the file and the secret directory in about 30 seconds (I told it to search in \user\appdata\ because my hunch was I'd find the file there).  Maybe it has something to do with IE9's protected mode?
    Tuesday, February 07, 2012 10:52 AM
  • You just saved my day man!!!!..I worked on a downloaded file (even saving every 5 min) in word 2010 and lost the file....I surfed the net for 3 hours looking for something to work...and YOU came up with the solution!!! I officially love you!

Monday, May 28, 2012 11:39 AM
  • Thanks dude - helped me a lot :) Although u don't need 'super finder' (simply write user/appdata/local/microsoft/windows/temporary internet files in the address and u get to the location.

Cheers mate

Monday, July 02, 2012 10:10 AM
  • Thank you soooo much for posting this! This is the only information I was able to find online, and I'm posting to 1) thank you and to 2) add another ticker to this page, so that it's more readily accessible for any one else out there looking for a solution to this weird problem.

FYI: I used "Super Finder" as suggested. The smallest subfolder on my computer under "temporary internet files" was "content.ie5" (no gibberish directory).

Monday, July 30, 2012 2:29 PM
  • If i could vote for you 100 times i would. just wanted to say a huuge thank you cos u literally saved me!
    Tuesday, April 02, 2013 11:24 PM
  • Thank you thank you thank you! I used Super Finder too. Not a great interface but it was pretty easy to search by date and find my document. 
    Sunday, August 11, 2013 11:57 PM