none
rebuilt User Profile Service - maa-extension export errors in FIIM sync

Question

• Hi All,

Due to various issues, I've had to rebuild my User Profile Service a few times.  Each time, I keep the Profile_DB and Social_DB, but re-create the Sync_DB.

When doing full imports, I'm noticing the following errors on the MOSS_EXPORT stage of the MIISCLIENT:

Username   maa-extension-error   Details: 

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: More than one DN specified for the same profile.
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ProfileImportExportService.UpdateWithProfileChangeData(Int64 importExportId, ProfileChangeData[] profileChangeData)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.WebServiceDirectProxy.WebMethodInfo.Invoke(Object webServiceInstance, Object[] args)
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.WebServiceDirectProxy.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] args)
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ManagementAgent.ProfileImportExportDirect.UpdateWithProfileChangeData(Int64 importExportId, ProfileChangeData[] profileChangeData)
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ManagementAgent.ProfileImportExportExtension.Microsoft.MetadirectoryServices.IMAExtensibleCallExport.ExportEntry(ModificationType modificationType, String[] changedAttributes, CSEntry csentry)

There is absolutely no info on the internet for the bolded message in relation to SharePoint, so I'm worried I may have to open a Microsoft case to get this resolved.  Any ideas are appreciated.  Running SharePoint 2010 Enterprise w/ Feb 2011 cumulative updates.

Phil

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:15 PM

All replies

• Hi I am having the same problem. did you solve this?
    • Proposed as answer by ddrake87 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:12 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ddrake87 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:12 PM
    Friday, May 06, 2011 9:58 AM
  • This for me was a AD issue in which we had two accounts with the same sAMAccountName name. We have a convention that a all sAMAccountNames have to be unique. You may want to do some researching in Active Directory Services to see if you had the same issue. 

1. Updated the values to be unique from each other

2. Ran a Full Synchronization Process.

Once I did those steps, it was resolved for me with no additional errors.

Thanks,

Don

• Proposed as answer by ddrake87 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:19 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Steven AndrewsEditor Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:59 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:19 PM
  • Were you able to find the root cause for this?

I did exactly the same way of rebuilding the user profile in different farm. Just used the Profile DB & Social and create new Sync DB. Now i run the FULL SYNC i get lot of these errors.

Satheesh
    http://spsatheesh.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Ihave just heard from one person this issue happens when you recreate the sync db (what we are doing in this scenario) and the root cause is not known. 

Microsoft seems to have internal tool (i believe they call it as CSS tool) which is helping to fix this issue.

Any thoughts on this is appreciated.

Satheesh
    http://spsatheesh.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 11:52 AM
  • I have also recreated the user profile service application re-using the profile and social databases, but creating a new sync database.  When I do the first sync, I get about 700 of these same errors (System.InvalidOperationException: More than one DN specified for the same profile.) for a user profile base of only about 1100. 

Does anyone have any insight on this issue?

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 3:39 AM
  • What is this CSS tool?  I'm seeing this exact issue in one of my farms.  Rebuilt UPS, keeping the old profile and social db's, now getting errors on import.
    Saturday, December 03, 2011 7:32 PM
  • Does anyone have any further info on this? I am seeing the same issue.

Thanks

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:01 AM
  • Hi,

Please follow following steps to re-create your user profile: (Make sure before provisioning your user profile users profile service account will the same as time service account and local admin of server. Once provisioning complete remove the account from local admin)

1. Create Managed Meta Data Service (If exist please check)

2. Also check from service on the server this service is running or not. if not please run that

3. Navigate to Central Administration / Application Management

4. create ne user profile service with all details (use timer job service accoun as user profile service account here )

5. Go to services on the server again an check user profile service is running or not (if not please run that )

6. also run sync service too from there.

7. go back to application services and click on user profil service applciaiton and click on syncronization settings.

8. Make AD connection.

Regards

gyan Shukla

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:17 AM
  • I don't really have an answer yet but I do have some insight. We're seeing the exact same error but to the tune of 8,000 users. I found that if you open miisclient.exe, click the Metaverse search, and query for an affected user. In the results, double-click the user to view properties. In the Connectors tab, I'm seeing conflicting distinguished names between our Active Directory data connection and our BDC data connection.

Digging deeper, I queried the sync db (mms_metaverse table) and the profile db (UserProfiles_full table) and confirmed that the information is correct in the sync but not in the profile. I then grabbed the user's record id to query the profile db's DNLookup table. And behold, there is my wrong distinguished name. So it looks like the Profile DB is actually corrupted. Not the sync db. Because of that, blowing away the sync db doesn't help at all.

We'll be speaking with a Microsoft support tech soon. Hopefully they'll provide some sort of fix for this problem. I'll post back any details.

Lester Sconyers

Friday, August 17, 2012 8:33 PM
  • I don't really have an answer yet but I do have some insight. We're seeing the exact same error but to the tune of 8,000 users. I found that if you open miisclient.exe, click the Metaverse search, and query for an affected user. In the results, double-click the user to view properties. In the Connectors tab, I'm seeing conflicting distinguished names between our Active Directory data connection and our BDC data connection.

Digging deeper, I queried the sync db (mms_metaverse table) and the profile db (UserProfiles_full table) and confirmed that the information is correct in the sync but not in the profile. I then grabbed the user's record id to query the profile db's DNLookup table. And behold, there is my wrong distinguished name. So it looks like the Profile DB is actually corrupted. Not the sync db. Because of that, blowing away the sync db doesn't help at all.

We'll be speaking with a Microsoft support tech soon. Hopefully they'll provide some sort of fix for this problem. I'll post back any details.

Lester Sconyers

Good luck - my experience with Microsoft PSS is that they typically can't troubleshoot issues like this.  Profile sync is like a big black box.  Perhaps you can get an escalation and find out a true fix, but recreating the Sync Database seems like the fix for most issues.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 6:17 PM

Lester Sconyers

Good luck - my experience with Microsoft PSS is that they typically can't troubleshoot issues like this.  Profile sync is like a big black box.  Perhaps you can get an escalation and find out a true fix, but recreating the Sync Database seems like the fix for most issues.

I agree with GrandmasterPhil that recreating the sync db does not help to solve this issue. We have exactly the same behaviour with UPSA and there is inconsistency in DNs between profile and sync dbs. Possible solution is to use the user profile replication engine as described here but we´ll test this later this week. I´ll post back details.... Fingers crossed!
    Thursday, September 06, 2012 12:25 PM
  • I just had to completely recreate my UPA and it works perfect in the development farm but fails in production.  Both farms are patched the same and have duplicate information.  The first time I recreated the User Profile Service in the development farm it worked the first time.  The only issue was that in creating the new UPA it corrupted the mysites.  After I recreated the mysites everything started up fine. 

In production I had to remove duplicate FIM certificates, iis reset, reboot, light candles, pray, curse and start from scratch at least two times just to get the synchronization service to start. I also recreated the UPA proxy (not sure why this would help since the new UPA created a proxy) but at this point I figured why not. I also had to recreate the my site again.

Now synchronization works except for MA-extension-error which list the account name attribute missing. I'm puzzled as how this is working on one farm but not another. At this point I'm having nightmares about UPA. :P

Jennifer Knight (MCITP, MCPD)

Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:15 PM
  • Unfortunately I'm experiencing the same problem.

It works on TEST, QA, but not on Prod.

Monday, November 18, 2013 12:37 PM

Lester Sconyers

The fix for me ended up being to delete and reinstall the User Profile Service Application using the existing databases.  I verified it on 2 different farms.

Here is a write-up if you want details.

http://www.chris-carmichael.com/sharepoint/?p=14 

I'm curious...did you happen to upgrade from a previous version between your old farm and new farm?

Friday, August 01, 2014 3:30 AM