none
Problem Installing Office 2010, Error: "The language of this installation package is not supported by your system"

Question

• I am trying to uninstall a beta version of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010, so that I can install my new Professional Plus 2010 on my computer. Every time I try to uninstall the beta, it says: "The language of this installation package is not supported by your system." And whenever I try to install the new, bought, version of it , it says: "Setup is unable to unable to proceed due to the following error(s): Microsoft Office 2010 does not support upgrading from a prerelease version of Microsoft Office 2010. You must first uninstall any prerelease versions of Microsoft Office 2010 products and associated technologies. Correct the issue(s) listed above and re-run setup." I extracted the files of the new Office 2010 using jZip. I'm completely stumped. I really need help. And for some reason, the FixIt button isn't working for me. All my browsers say that it can't open the webpage to download the software. So, I don't know how else to uninstall the Office 2010 Beta program. Yes, I have Windows 7. 
    Tuesday, November 02, 2010 6:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Before installing the Office program, please use Fix it in this KB article to completely uninstall all the previous versions of the Office program.

How do I uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if I cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, November 11, 2010 7:44 AM
    Monday, November 08, 2010 3:10 AM

All replies

• I am facing exactly the same problem, let me know if you rectified?
    Wednesday, November 03, 2010 6:17 AM
  • Hi,

This error typically occurs when the file/folder structure for Office source is altered. This can happen when you extract the download to a folder using a file extraction utility.

This download from MSDN is a Microsoft Self Extractor package, and the only way to extract contents and maintain folder structure is to use the built-in extraction process. If you call the download with a /extract parameter it will prompt you where to extract the files. Here is a sample:

en_office_professional_plus_2010_x64_515489.exe /extract

If the extraction is successful you will see a bunch of folders in the root folder like Excel.en-us, Word.en-us, and ProPlus.WW. You should also see setup.exe. Run setup again and this error should go away.

More info about MSE packages is available here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912203/en-us

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:39 AM
  • Hi Sally,

My office-2010 comes in a dvd, when I click on setup.exe the error message appears:

"Setup is unable to proceed due to following errors:

Microsoft office 2010 does not support upgrading from a prerelease version of Microsoft office 2010. You must first uninstall any prerelease version of Microsoft office 2010."

As I have MS office 2010 plus Beta already installed (that has expired on 1st Nov-2010), which gives me following error when tried to uninstall:

"The language of this installation package is not supported by your system"

I guess now you are clarified what the problem is.

How to remove the already installed MS office 2010 beta? Most of the sites have mentioned to download and run cleanc2r.exe which can unistall Office beta 2010. But the link mentioend http://c2r.microsoft.com/tools/cleanc2r.zip has expired.

Pl. guide how to uninstall beta version?

Thanks.

Thursday, November 04, 2010 11:01 AM
  • Hi,

Before installing the Office program, please use Fix it in this KB article to completely uninstall all the previous versions of the Office program.

How do I uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if I cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, November 11, 2010 7:44 AM
    Monday, November 08, 2010 3:10 AM
  • Sally,

We have a very similar problem.  We have about 1000 installs from SCCM so far.  About 5% of them fail and any attempt to run repair or reinstall Office 2010 gives the error "the language of this installation package...."

The article does resolve the problem after the fact running the FixIt for 2010 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301.

We are installing as an upgrade on WinXP SP3 over Office 2003 SP3.

How can we make our install package reliable so these failures do not happen in the first place.  This is very frustrating to the users and takes quite a bit of time to clean up.

Would running FixIt for Office 2003 before the install of Office 2010 solve the issue?  Can we chain them in the SCCM install?

Thanks for your time on this.

--SeanMcC

Sean McCaskey
    Monday, July 11, 2011 6:40 PM
  • hi Sally Tang,

this is Ash, i am having the same type of problem i.e whenever i try to install windows office 2010 i get an error message stating that "the language of this installation package is not supported by your system", and above that i have formatted my system several times,  but still the message is the same....earlier it never used to be like this..

pls help me.

regards

Ash

Friday, May 25, 2012 8:10 PM