none
Excel 2003 File Hangs When Opened from Network

Question

• I have a customer running SBS 2003 (up to date with all Microsoft updates) with client PC's running Windows XP Pro SP3.  The two user PC's are running Office 2003.  When they try to open any Excel 2003 document located in a mapped drive folder on the server, the file opens very slowly, taking a couple minutes before it opens.  If I copy the same file to the local PC, it opens immediately.  If I open the file over the network using the Excel "Open and Repair" option, it opens immediately.  This problem just developed in the past week.  I have searched the Technet and other forums and have had no luck resolving the problem.  I've run a repair of Office, disabled the virus scan program both on the server and on the client (Symantec EPP 12) and disabled the firewall on the client PC.  Nothing helps when the file is opened over the LAN, except using the Open and Repair option in Excel.
    Mike Lemons Tech on Call, Inc. Las Vegas, NV
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 3:09 AM

Answers

• We had this same problem when the "Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in" was installed on our XP Workstations.  It was only an issue for Office 2003 installations, but we saw the problem with both Word and Excel.  After removing the adding, the programs returned to normal functionality.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2501584

In the "Add/Remove programs" menu it isn't listed by its KB number but rather as though it were a stand-alone application labeled as "Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in". It can be removed by the use of the following command run as administrator - msiexec.exe /x {90140000-2005-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}

Hope this information helps.

• Marked as answer by mcselemons Thursday, July 07, 2011 7:56 PM
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 4:05 AM

All replies

• We had this same problem when the "Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in" was installed on our XP Workstations.  It was only an issue for Office 2003 installations, but we saw the problem with both Word and Excel.  After removing the adding, the programs returned to normal functionality.

In the "Add/Remove programs" menu it isn't listed by its KB number but rather as though it were a stand-alone application labeled as "Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in". It can be removed by the use of the following command run as administrator - msiexec.exe /x {90140000-2005-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}

• Marked as answer by mcselemons Thursday, July 07, 2011 7:56 PM
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 4:05 AM
  • Thanks very much for providing me with the solution!  You are the man, SitrucHtims!

After removing the add-in, Excel files opened immediately on the client PC's running Office 2003.  The clients running Office 2010 seem to have no adverse impact from the same add-in.  All clients at this customer are running Windows XP Pro SP3.  I wonder if Microsoft is going to fix this issue, or if the answer is to upgrade everyone to the current version of Office.  Anyway, thanks so much for your help.

Mike Lemons, Tech on Call, Inc., Las Vegas

Mike Lemons Tech on Call, Inc. Las Vegas, NV
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 7:59 PM
  • Removing the "Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in" indeed resolved the issue.

I simply removed it via Add/Remove Programs, I didn't need the above mentioned command-line action.

We were unable to open Excel files stored on a network drive with Microsoft Excel 2003 on a XP Service Pack 3
    Excel files stored locally would open fine, this only seems to effect excel files stored on a Network Drive.
    Excel would freeze or lock up right after it finished "Scanning the file for viruses" which it was showing in the info / status section of excel when opening.

MS Word does not appear to be effected by this.

Friday, July 08, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Ya, you can remove it from Add/Remove Programs as well.  We had to use the command line because we had to hit 5,000+ machines for removal.  We were able to use the commandline to remove in bulk via a startup script.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 11:42 AM
  • SitrucHtims: How did you run your script. I can get "msiexec.exe /x {90140000-2005-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} /quiet" to run from a .cmd script run manually by an admin, but I cannot get it to run from a GPO startup script.

Monday, July 11, 2011 8:36 PM
  • WOW! Thanks for that SitrucHtims. We will have to remove this program for hundres of pc's as well. Big shame that MS releases it with big problems like this!
    Monday, July 18, 2011 10:47 AM
  • And a BIG thank you from me too - you have saved me a lot of frustrated cursing :)
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Thank you!
    Saturday, August 06, 2011 7:31 PM
  • Another thanks here!

Was looking in the updates section, but could not find which update caused this.... :)

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Big Thanks from me as well. helped a lot!
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:11 PM
  • Thanks, this resolved issue for a user for me, Win XP SP3, Office 2003, opening Excel .xls on a network share.  Removed the Add-in and the issue is resolved.  Curious to know why this happens, but we are moving all Office 2003 users to Office 2010 soon.
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:43 PM
  • The update KB2553065 has been pushed through Windows Update on 8 may 2012 causing also this slowdown for Excel 2010 en Word 2010 files on a network.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2553065

• Edited by wiens Thursday, May 17, 2012 5:09 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 5:08 PM

I had a problem where MS Word 2003 files were opening very slow off of network (100 kb file could take a minute to load up).  My computer OS is Windows 7.  Your solution worked!!  Removed the Microsoft Office File Validation Add-In (just clicked the uninstall button in Program List).  Things open instantly now!  Thanks tons.
    Monday, June 25, 2012 2:59 PM
  • You legend!

This has saved us so much time!
    It's disgusting that MS release this update for 2003 knowing that it cause's this issue and state that one of their "workarounds" is to update to 2007 or 2010! As if MS don't have enough cash...

This thread is 2 years old and MS still haven't resolved this! (Update installed automatically today grrr)

Friday, March 01, 2013 11:36 AM