none
Silent uninstall of Office 2010 in corporate environment...

Question

• Hey guys,

I need to silently remove Office 2010 from our workstation infrastructure although I'm running into difficulties. I'm running the following command directly from a test workstation...

\\MYSERVER02\d$\packages\Office 2010\setup.exe /uninstall ProPlus /config \\MYSERVER02\d$\packages\office 2010\ProPlus.WW\config.xml

The config.xml file is edited as follows...

<Configuration Product="ProPlus">

<Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />

</Configuration>

Although when I execute the command I see and agree to a UAC prompt and then within task manager I momentarily see setup.exe *32 and then nothing happens. I've tried creating "SilentUninstallConfig.xml" within the WW.ProPlus directory and editing the same as above (this is suggested in quite a few forums) although this also made no difference.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

M Tipler

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:34 PM

Answers

• yes, you need to enclose the second set of arguments in quotes, since your folder name contains a space in it :)

(I personally avoid spaces in folder names wherever I can ;)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Mattyt123321 Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:26 AM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 8:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Matty,

Since it is "slient uninstall", it do will look like nothing happens. But have you checked later to see if the Office have been removed?

I've checked your config.xml, it is fine, and I have uninstalled my Office from my test machine successfully with your config.xml.

Something might have a check:

• Make sure you have successfully replaced your config.xml file in the ProPlus.WW folder
    • Try turn off the UAC and run the setup again.

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:46 AM
  • Hi Max,

Thank you for your response.

Yes - a silent install but when I run the command below on the test system this does run setup.exe *32 for a few seconds but then it disappears / stops running. It definitely doesn't go on to uninstall Office 2010 ProPlus.

\\lathqscc02\d$\packages\Office 2010\setup.exe /uninstall ProPlus /config \\lathqscc02\d$\packages\office 2010\ProPlus.WW\config.xml

I tried disabling UAC and that has made no difference. The config.xml is definitely in the ProPlus.WW directory.

Any idea's or suggestings welcome... this is killing me. :(

M Tipler

Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:04 PM
  • Anyone? :(

This is turning into a real thorn in my side. I want to role out Office 2013 through SMS but despite removing the majority of Office 2010 during the installation when the installation is customized it still leaves remnants of 2010... toolkit etc. We've hundreds of users... surely the answer isn't to manually remove Office 2010 prior to installing 2013?!?! :(

Kind regards.

M Tipler

Friday, March 15, 2013 11:10 AM
  • check in the %TEMP% folder of the user that is executing the uninstall (or c:\windows\temp, if running as LocalSystem) for the Office setup logfile - it should be named similar to this:
    SetupExe(201204080912071004).log

there should be some indication of what setup.exe is having issues with.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:11 AM
  • Hello Don!

Thank you for your suggestion! The log file created has only caused further confusion to be honest!

PERF: TickCount=249909906 Name=OBootStrapper::Run Description=Begin function
    Operating System version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1. Platform ID: 2
    Running 32-bit setup on a 64-bit operating system.
    Command line: "\\MYSERVER\d$\packages\Office 2010\setup.exe" /uninstall ProPlus /config \\MYSERVER\d$\packages\Office 2010\ProPlus.WW\config.xml
    Parsing command line.
    Config XML file specified: \\MYSERVER\d$\packages\Office
    Unrecognized command line parameter: 2010\PROPLUS.WW\CONFIG.XML
    Verify file signature in "\\MYSERVER\d$\packages\Office 2010\setup.exe"
    \\MYSERVER\d$\packages\Office 2010\setup.exe is trusted.
    Verify file signature in "\\MYSERVER\d$\packages\Office 2010\ProPlus.WW\OSETUP.DLL"
    \\MYSERVER\d$\packages\Office 2010\ProPlus.WW\OSETUP.DLL is trusted.
    Using setup controller dll at [\\MYSERVER\d$\packages\Office 2010\ProPlus.WW\OSETUP.DLL].
    PERF: TickCount=249911078 Name=OBootStrapper::Run Description=Calling RunSetup

PERF: TickCount=249911078 Name=RunSetup Description=Begin function
    Catalyst execution began: 03/18/2013 10:24:51.
    Parsing config.xml at: \\MYSERVER\d$\packages\Office
    Error: XML document load failed for file: \\MYSERVER\d$\packages\Office HResult: 0x1.

Catalyst execution finished: 03/18/2013 10:24:51.  Return code: 30023.  Exception caught: HResultOnly.
    PERF: TickCount=249911359 Name=RunSetup Description=End function

It appears that it is complaining about the structure of the uninstall command:

\\MYSERVER\d$\packages\Office 2010\setup.exe /uninstall ProPlus /config \\MYSERVER\d$\packages\Office 2010\ProPlus.WW\config.xml

Specifically the backend of the command pointing at config.xml.

\\MYSERVER\d$\packages\Office 2010\ProPlus.WW\config.xml

However, when I execute the above command indepent of the command as a whole - it  happily opens the config.xml file!?!

Confused.

M Tipler

Monday, March 18, 2013 10:38 AM
  • yes, you need to enclose the second set of arguments in quotes, since your folder name contains a space in it :)

(I personally avoid spaces in folder names wherever I can ;)

Don

• Marked as answer by Mattyt123321 Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:26 AM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 8:44 PM
  • HAHA! Well spotted Don - school boy error. :)

Cheers buddy!!!

M Tipler

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:25 AM