none
Outlook 2010 - PST import issue / Two inboxes

Question

• I'm going to try to offer as much detail as possible on my problem...here goes:

yesterday, i got a virus on my work PC. had to reinstall everything. had a PST file backed up on my thumb drive.

reinstalled outlook 2010, and it asked for a PST file upon launch; i navigated to the one on my hard drive.

it pulled all my folders and emails over, i thought all was well.

then, i realized no email account was setup, so i was not able to send/receive emails. naturally, i went in and setup the email account.

now i have 2 inboxes, yet only 1 email account.

the "new" email account is receiving emails, and i can send. however, i can't delete emails from this inbox (it says no deleted items folder is present; however, there is a deleted items folder under my "old" inbox).

when i try to move an email from the "new" inbox to one of my "old" folders, it takes forever.

this isn't helping me...i've googled everything under the sun i can think of with no luck.

under account settings, it shows 1 email account setup, but 2 data files.

i've even tried to uninstall outlook and reinstall; when i did, it FORCED me to select a PST file...

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 7:33 PM

Answers

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, I understand that  you have two data file in one account. If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

It is probably you are using a PST file to store your mails on your hard drive. In that case you can see two Inboxes one corresponding to your inbox at the server the other of your PST.

You can set as default mail delivery location to server Inbox and Remove the data file from File > Data File Management

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely

William Zhou CHN
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:59 AM
    Friday, April 08, 2011 8:43 AM