none
OOB Approval WF, after copying and modifying, the people picker does'nt save the value & popup saying [the form can not be submitted because of an error]

Question

• Please advise, hopefully Clayton would see my question:

I want to copy the OOB WF to customize it and so from SPD I right click on it and click copy and modify and without doing any modifications, I just go and publish it, and in the initiation form, in the first field people picker, I type any user, it correctly find the user but once found, then it pops up a message saying [form  can not be submitted because of an error] and removes the user from the people picker field .. !

I also want to understand how does this infopath forms are connected to the workflow, I believe there is connection that I am missing here that I don't understand.

Do I need to open the form using InfoPath and republish, I tried this but still same error.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Mai Omar Desouki | Software Consultant | Infusion | MCP, MCTS, MCPD, MCITP, MCT Microsoft Certified Trainer & MCC Microsoft Community Contributor | Email: mai_omar_86@live.com | Blog: http://moresharepoint.wordpress.com

Monday, July 16, 2012 9:29 AM

Answers

• JobBrooker,

I had to read long threads to reach to your solution, while doing so my machine is downloading lots of updates,

But I thought I try something else, I created approval wf from OOB to a Library, and opened this library from SPD and in the list settings page in SPD there is section for workflows, in here I can see the wf I created for this library, click on the name of the WF and saw the forms ofcourse and started editing those forms and saved and published, now tried to see if people picker is working when trying to run this wf on any item and it WORKS ... to me that's what I wanted.

Now I can customize this forms, remove or add fields, logo or header... and that's it.

But Thanks.. the idea is I can't tell the client to remove an update from the server.. it is something noway to do it neither is recommended I believe..

Thanks again.

Mai Omar Desouki | Software Consultant | Infusion | MCP, MCTS, MCPD, MCITP, MCT Microsoft Certified Trainer & MCC Microsoft Community Contributor | Email: mai_omar_86@live.com | Blog: http://moresharepoint.wordpress.com

Saturday, July 28, 2012 8:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

Emir Liu

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:11 AM
  •  

You might want to check if your SharePoint Designer is a 32 bit installation.

I had this exact problem, checked it on several different environments and in the end it turned out that if I did my customizations from the 64bit version of SharePoint Designer it all worked well.

Cheers,

Iulian

Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:10 AM
  • Hi Iulian

Thanks for your post, i have the same issue (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010customization/thread/d7ed9665-f847-4c22-b8b8-efa2484e522d)

I tested SharePoint 2010 64 bit and was able to modify/publish and run my workflow without error.

Thanks again

Asher

Fast, Cheap, Good. Choose any Two!

Friday, July 20, 2012 1:09 PM
  • Hi Iulian

Thanks for your post, i have the same issue (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010customization/thread/d7ed9665-f847-4c22-b8b8-efa2484e522d)

I tested SharePoint 2010 64 bit and was able to modify/publish and run my workflow without error.

Thanks again

Asher

Fast, Cheap, Good. Choose any Two!

All very well, but it doesn't solve the problem if you have Office 2010 32bit. Designer will not install over a 32bit Office instance, so I dont think the issue is fixed - Has anyone found an alternative resolution yet?
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:31 PM
  • Hi Mai,

This obviously is not normal behavior.  Test in a different site, site collection, and web application to determine if the issue is global to the farm.  You can delete the Association form and republish the workflow so that it will create a new form and test.  InfoPath can be used to customize the Association and Task forms.  InfoPath forms are the default workflow forms in 2010.  You may need to open a support ticket once you scope the issue further.  There might be an issue with the InfoPath form related to the people picker but this most likely is not an InfoPath issue itself but possible might be an issue with the server, farm, or Forms Services.

Gregg

MSFT

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Hi all,

I was waiting for long time for someone to reply.

I am going to try a different machine and lets see what happens that I will reply to you here back.

But for now, if someone can reproduce the steps and see the people picker if it is working then at least it means i need to check my machine configuration.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:59 AM
  • The following solution worked for me. Hopefully you can benefit too.

You do not need to add the workflow via SPD. From the list/library GUI, go to Workflow Settings and add the workflow from there. You can select Approval and rename as you wish.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 5:33 PM
  • Unfortunately it still does not work for me. I have exactly the same problem and I am using SharePoint Designer 64bit. The version is 14.0.6112.5000. Is there a newer version (hotfix) available?
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:06 AM
  • Do you still have both versions of this InfoPath form? I would be interested in looking at the differences because I am still struggling with this problem.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:43 AM
  • I am having the same problem in 2 different SharePoint Farms. In new Web Applications, in New Site Collections, with a simple workflow that has a People Picker on the Initialization form, and it logs the name to the history list. The only thing they have in common is that they are patched with the most recent Windows Server 2008 R2 updates.

It is my belief, since there is nothing similar about them, that this is the issue. I just need to narrow down which one it was.

Make that 3 different environments patched with the latest important updates.
    • Edited by JonBrooker Thursday, July 26, 2012 7:15 PM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:56 PM
  • Ah ha,

It's caused by a SharePoint Designer Update. I created a new VM, no windows updates, installed x86 SPD, no updates. Published the same workflow that was giving me a problem and it worked. Republished it using my fully patched workstation and it fails. Same workflow, just published from different machines.

Now, to determine which one of the 16 patches could have caused this issue.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:20 PM
  • I posted my answer in Form error in reusable workflow.

The bad update is: KB2553322 (Security update for InfoPath 2010: July 10, 2012)

Friday, July 27, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Thanks Jon,

It seems we have a few different but similar issues going on here.  If any one has further issues, and unless the community has anything else to add, it might be best to open a support ticket with Microsoft so we can look at the issue directly.

Gregg

MSFT

Friday, July 27, 2012 3:14 PM
  • JobBrooker,

I had to read long threads to reach to your solution, while doing so my machine is downloading lots of updates,

But I thought I try something else, I created approval wf from OOB to a Library, and opened this library from SPD and in the list settings page in SPD there is section for workflows, in here I can see the wf I created for this library, click on the name of the WF and saw the forms ofcourse and started editing those forms and saved and published, now tried to see if people picker is working when trying to run this wf on any item and it WORKS ... to me that's what I wanted.

Now I can customize this forms, remove or add fields, logo or header... and that's it.

But Thanks.. the idea is I can't tell the client to remove an update from the server.. it is something noway to do it neither is recommended I believe..

Thanks again.

Saturday, July 28, 2012 8:41 PM
  • I never suggested removing an update from the Client's Server. I suggested removing an update from your machine where SharePoint Designer is installed. I find it strange that you found a way to create a workflow with this update installed because it affects the way SharePoint Designer generates XML, even when Copying/Modifying an OOTB workflow. Examine the XML you'll see.

Your solution only worked because you didn't create a new Instance of the "Approval - SharePoint 2010" Workflow using Copy & Modify. You simply modified the existing one, which already worked.

A better test would be to create a new workflow from scratch, or follow any online tutorials and see if it still works with a people picker control and that update installed on your machine.

I have no doubt people can find clever ways to publish with this update installed however, you should not have to implement ridiculous workarounds just to regain basic functionality.

• Edited by JonBrooker Sunday, July 29, 2012 7:31 PM
    • Proposed as answer by workaholic07 Monday, October 15, 2012 9:15 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by workaholic07 Monday, October 15, 2012 9:15 AM
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 7:10 PM
  • Ridiculous workarounds !

Thank you so much again for your help but your solution didn't solve my problem and again I found it simple enough to run the approval wf on a list and from there I started customizing it.

I will try your solution with the copy and modify an OOTB wf but I am v happy with my solution.

Thanks again.

Your help was appreciated.

Sunday, July 29, 2012 11:32 PM
  • Uninstalling KB2553322 worked for me. Thanks Jon!
    Thursday, September 06, 2012 8:30 PM
  • Uninstalling KB2553322 worked for me too.

Thanks so much Jon, for investigating and posting your solution!

--- workaholic

Monday, October 15, 2012 9:26 AM
  • we didn't have the patch KB2553322. We re-published our global reusable workflow using SPD 64 bit and it worked!!!
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:42 AM
  • >> I just go and publish it, and in the initiation form, in the first field people picker, I type any user, it correctly find the user but once found, then it pops up a message saying [form  can not be submitted because of an error]

I had this problem today, it is really nervous :)

I resolved like this: open site with Fire Fox, Publish-> Start Approval Workflow, and in the Approval form - select this problem user(left-click). Border will appear with "Remove" menu. Just "Remove" user from field(only ";" symbol remains) - and click "Approve". For me it worked.

Разработчик под SharePoint, http://rockietm.wordpress.com, http://demo.arsenal-it.com

Monday, August 04, 2014 8:42 PM