none
insert running head header & pg numbers 2010

Question

• I am writing a research paper according to APA style format and have to do 3 things to complete the paper using the Word 2010:

1. insert whats called a running head header (at the left head) that is distinct for the first page but then changes to an alternative for successive pages 2-11.

2. insert page numbers in the upper right hand corner ...

It seems I can do either one following several word 2010 tutorials I have found but not both at the same time??

Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

John Evers RN 

Friday, October 15, 2010 4:24 PM

Answers

• After inserting the left-hand portion of the header, tab to the right side (the Header style includes a right-aligned tab stop at the right margin) and then either

- click the Page Number button and choose Current Position (*not* any of the other choices) and then the page number entry

OR

- on the Insert tab of the ribbon, click Quick Parts > Field and insert a Page field.

The problem (and it's really a stupid problem) is that the Top of Page and other choices that automatically position the page number are programmed to wipe out anything that already exists in the header/footer. I'd say that "feature" is seriously broken.

Jay Freedman
    MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
    Friday, October 15, 2010 5:53 PM
  • For the latter approach--inserting a page number field--there is also the built-in shortcut Alt+Shift+P.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Friday, October 15, 2010 5:56 PM
  • To get different first page headers and footers you need to set the document to have a different first page.

Word 2007/10 - Page Layout tab, Page Setup (small button bottom right corner of group), Layout tab and check different first page.

pre Word 2007 - File, Page Setup, Layout tab and check different first page.

If I've read your post correctly you can do the rest yourself.  See other posts for inserting page numbers.

I hope this is of use to you if a little late.

G North MMI
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 12:47 PM

All replies

• After inserting the left-hand portion of the header, tab to the right side (the Header style includes a right-aligned tab stop at the right margin) and then either

- click the Page Number button and choose Current Position (*not* any of the other choices) and then the page number entry

OR

- on the Insert tab of the ribbon, click Quick Parts > Field and insert a Page field.

The problem (and it's really a stupid problem) is that the Top of Page and other choices that automatically position the page number are programmed to wipe out anything that already exists in the header/footer. I'd say that "feature" is seriously broken.

Jay Freedman
    Friday, October 15, 2010 5:53 PM
  • For the latter approach--inserting a page number field--there is also the built-in shortcut Alt+Shift+P.

Friday, October 15, 2010 5:56 PM
  • Thanks for the reminder. I never bothered to memorize that shortcut.

In the same spirit, you could press Ctrl+F9 to insert a field, type the word Page between the brackets, and press F9 to update the field. I use that frequently because I can type in any of the short field codes (Page, NumPages, SectionPages, etc.) more quickly than going to the dialog.

Jay Freedman
    Friday, October 15, 2010 7:50 PM
  • << In the same spirit, you could press Ctrl+F9 to insert a field, type the word Page between the brackets, and press F9 to update the field. >>

Indeed, working with field codes is often quicker via keyboard shortcuts. 

Saturday, October 16, 2010 2:13 PM
  • To get different first page headers and footers you need to set the document to have a different first page.

Word 2007/10 - Page Layout tab, Page Setup (small button bottom right corner of group), Layout tab and check different first page.

pre Word 2007 - File, Page Setup, Layout tab and check different first page.

If I've read your post correctly you can do the rest yourself.  See other posts for inserting page numbers.

I hope this is of use to you if a little late.

G North MMI
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 12:47 PM
  • OH MY GOSH! i had the same problem as the original blogger and your direction fixed it!! thank you!
    • Proposed as answer by PamCaswell Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:11 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:20 PM
  • OMG!! Thank you so much for this answer....this was driving me nuts!!!.....I had the same problem as the person who posted. I am a student and I have to write my papers according to APA style. I couldn't for the life of me get my numbers to position correctly. On the first page I have a "running head: and title - with page number "1" then page "2" was just the title and the page number "2"...but all other pages remained as number 2....it drove me crazy!! You had the answer that worked!! I'm very excited!! Thanks!!

Arayablue

Student & Entreprenuer

Sunday, May 22, 2011 5:08 PM
  • Oh thank you. That was really aggrevating me also. Got it done. You are right it should be a lot more simple than that. There should be a quick tab in headers to have that option. Thanks for posting.
    Friday, August 19, 2011 1:03 PM
  • What a lifesaver!!! It was frustrating me to death. I am writing the same type of paper in APA style for school. Thanks again!!!
    Thursday, September 08, 2011 2:26 AM
  • John I was curious as to whether you were able to find a fix to the problem you described above.  I am attempting to complete a paper using APA style with Word 2010.  When I enter a header and tab to enter the page number, it keeps the same page number on the following pages.  I have tried entering them together, separately, etc and no matter what I attempt I can have One or the Other, never both - UNLESS I choose the header format which contains a border and I can't have the border!  I have spent 2 days and am nearing my deadline for turning in this paper and am completely frustrated!

Any help out there?

Thanks,

SpecT65

Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:15 PM
  • John I was curious as to whether you were able to find a fix to the problem you described above.  I am attempting to complete a paper using APA style with Word 2010.  When I enter a header and tab to enter the page number, it keeps the same page number on the following pages.  I have tried entering them together, separately, etc and no matter what I attempt I can have One or the Other, never both - UNLESS I choose the header format which contains a border and I can't have the border!  I have spent 2 days and am nearing my deadline for turning in this paper and am completely frustrated!

Any help out there?

Insert the page number directly in the header, for example, by using the shortcut Alt+Shift+P (as suggested earlier in this thread).
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:14 PM
  • I am in need of the same support as John above. Would someone guide me in simple language please, Thank you so much:)
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 3:42 PM
  • "phenomenalwoman" wrote in message news:7d5c680c-3d43-4c7b-915f-0a5ff8f82d74@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    << I am in need of the same support as John above. Would someone guide me in simple language please, Thank you so much:) >>

Have you read any of the replies posted earlier in this thread?

Sunday, October 02, 2011 3:59 PM
  • Thank you Jay Freedman!!!! You are a life saver!!! I am doing an APA 6th edition format paper and had the EXACT same problem. While there wasn't an option to pick *not* as the Current Position in Microsoft Office 2010, clicking Quick Parts and then inserting the page number and formatting style in the Field option worked beautifully! Thanks so much.

Jenn Plappert

Saturday, November 05, 2011 1:12 AM
  • Thank you so much!!!!  I just had this problem and was working on it forever!!  Your answer helped me finally fix it.
    Monday, November 07, 2011 11:55 PM
  • Love this!! Thank you!
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 5:29 AM
  • It worked. Thanks Much

Monday, November 14, 2011 4:15 AM
  • THANK YOU!!!!  I have been struggling with this for a year.  THIS actually worked!!! 
    Monday, November 14, 2011 5:41 PM
  • Perhaps I am missing something but while part of the original question was answered - inserting the page number into the Header using Word 2010 - I didn't see the answer to the second part of the question which was the Running Header. I am also preparing an APA style paper. The title page has to have:

Running Head: TITLE OF THE PAPER

The pages following have to have:

TITLE OF THE PAPER

without the Running Head

But, I can't get this done. I tried to Insert a Cover Page but they don't give an APA style choice. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:21 AM
  • Perhaps I am missing something but while part of the original question was answered - inserting the page number into the Header using Word 2010 - I didn't see the answer to the second part of the question which was the Running Header. I am also preparing an APA style paper. The title page has to have:

Running Head: TITLE OF THE PAPER

The pages following have to have:

TITLE OF THE PAPER

without the Running Head

But, I can't get this done. I tried to Insert a Cover Page but they don't give an APA style choice. 

Any help would be appreciated.

You should be able to use a STYLEREF field to add text from the document into the header. If the text is static, just type it into the main header.

For the first page header to be separate, you will have to select "Different first page" on the Layout tab of the Page Setup dialog box (as explained earlier in this thread).

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 12:19 PM
  • I was given this idea too.... click alt + shift + P. it will add the number to a running head and it really does work

THANK YOU

Janet Moore RN

• Edited by mylazydaisy Thursday, February 09, 2012 3:02 PM
    Thursday, February 09, 2012 3:00 PM
  • you have no idea how much angst you have saved me. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU>

Janet Moore RN, student

Thursday, February 09, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Easiest Way to do a Running Header in Microsoft Word 2010

Starting on the “Home” page of Microsoft Word 2010, click on the tab that says “Page Layout.” Directly below the tab you will see “Page Setup,” look to the right and you will see a small, almost hidden box. Click on that box. Now, you will get a pop-up window for “Page Setup.” Now, you need to click on the “Layout” tab. There are lots of options here; you’re looking for the option that says “Different first page.” Check the box beside that option and click “OK”. Now you will be able to set-up a different header for you first page and your other pages.

Double click in the header section of your first page; this will open your header block. You will see a little blue box below the left corner of the header section that says “First Page Header.” Click inside the header area and put; Running head: And your shortened title. Now, to put in your page number, tab to the right margin. You MUSTuse a keyboard shortcut to enter your page number. To do this, hold the alt and shift keys at the same time, then press the letter “p.” This will automatically insert your page number. You will see the number “1” pop-up.

Now, go to your second page and double click in the header area. This will open the header box. Put in your shortened title, then tab to the right margin. In order to have your page numbers run consecutively, you will again need to use the keyboard shortcut. Here is the keyboard shortcut again; hold the alt and shift keys at the same time, then press the letter “p.” This time you will see the number “2” pop-up. Now, your page numbers will run consecutively.

Life doesn’t get any better than this.

Have a nice day.

• Proposed as answer by evenforyou Saturday, April 21, 2012 2:18 PM
    Tuesday, April 03, 2012 5:00 PM
  • This was the best advice I have found in regards to inserting page numbers in the header. Simple and to the point!! Thank you soooo much!!! Why not just use this on the Microsoft support site instead of the long version!!
    Sunday, April 08, 2012 6:42 AM
  • I also want to say thanks for all the help provided in this thread.  This was an absolute life saver.
    Monday, April 16, 2012 2:50 AM
  • Thank you so much. you are my hero of the day. I was having the exact problem as the person above and have been searching for solutions and messing around with mw10 for hours and could not figure it out. Thank you again.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:47 PM
  • I have serched all over the internet for some sort of information on instering page numbers in an essay. After following everyones directions and getting frustrated I saw your post and decided to try it since yours was different than everyones elses. I could not believe it when yours is the only one that worked. And yours is the MOST simple. Thank you so much.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:29 AM
  • I'm still not getting this to work. Have set page breaks, you name it. Unfortunately part of my document includes tables that have to be landscape. I was  able to get that to work but then it messed up my page numbers?

Any suggestions to that? Thanks.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:35 PM
  • I'm still not getting this to work. Have set page breaks, you name it. Unfortunately part of my document includes tables that have to be landscape. I was  able to get that to work but then it messed up my page numbers?

Any suggestions to that? Thanks.

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/landscapesection.htm.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:36 PM
  • THANK YOU! 
    Sunday, November 04, 2012 7:44 AM
  • I seriously cannot thank you enough this has been driving me insane all year.
    Monday, December 10, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Thanks, Jay! I was having a hard time figuring this out and didn't even notice that as an option on "Page Number."

Worked like a charm!

Sunday, March 31, 2013 8:34 PM
  • Thank you so much! This was really helpful.
    Friday, August 23, 2013 11:47 AM
  • That doesn't work when you already have a header; it will put the same number on every page. APA documentation is very particular.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:53 AM
  • Thank you for your help. Clicking on page number then current position worked. I still have a running head and the page numbers go in order, not just #1.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:56 AM
  • Freakin A that's good advice 

Bar B Que so good make you wanna slap yo momma.

Sunday, February 02, 2014 3:15 AM
  • Thank you! This was extremely helpful. It worked and relieved a lot of anxiety
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:55 PM