none
'select objects: click and drag to select several objects' doesn't work

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for using Word IT Pro Discussions forum. 

I have found thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/office2010/thread/54f0e690-ac97-425e-a5d6-20a6d14bd80e

According to Peter’s reply, this might be an issue by design. He said:

================

The work needed to make the object selection work as it did in Word 2007 was out of scope for this release. It's not as simple as using the same feature that existed in the last version since we upgrading our graphics/art features; the way the shapes/objects need to be selected is different than how "old" graphics/art is selectable in Word 2007.

That said, the "select object" tool that exists in Word 2010 should allow you to select individual shapes. You can select multiple shapes holding down the CTRL or SHIFT key while clicking shapes. You might ask how this is different than selecting shapes without turning on "select objects"; the answer to that would be to allow you to select shapes that are "behind" text, or more easily select rotated shapes, etc.

==============

I sincerely hope the information above can help.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:04 AM
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 6:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for using Word IT Pro Discussions forum. 

I have found thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/office2010/thread/54f0e690-ac97-425e-a5d6-20a6d14bd80e

According to Peter’s reply, this might be an issue by design. He said:

================

The work needed to make the object selection work as it did in Word 2007 was out of scope for this release. It's not as simple as using the same feature that existed in the last version since we upgrading our graphics/art features; the way the shapes/objects need to be selected is different than how "old" graphics/art is selectable in Word 2007.

That said, the "select object" tool that exists in Word 2010 should allow you to select individual shapes. You can select multiple shapes holding down the CTRL or SHIFT key while clicking shapes. You might ask how this is different than selecting shapes without turning on "select objects"; the answer to that would be to allow you to select shapes that are "behind" text, or more easily select rotated shapes, etc.

==============

I sincerely hope the information above can help.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:04 AM
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 6:42 AM
  • This is a problem for me as well.  It actually makes the process of working with shapes more drawn out.  Is there any plan to resolve this design flaw and restore the original functionality of this tool in a service pack?  Or do we have to wait until the next "upgrade" comes around.  I use this tool all the time and a find this to be a real hassle.
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 1:00 AM
  • If this is by design, I think it's very bad for usability.

I found drawing shapes great in Word 2007, but as it looks now in 2010 it seems very user unfriendly.

It would mean that if I have drawn 10 shapes that I would like to group, I'd need to shift/ctrl click all of them (and overlapping shapes make it even harder - I'd deselect something instead of adding another).

In the old versions, I could just drag a rectangle to select them all (to group them or to move them)

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 12:59 PM
  • I have the same problem, but if I "Save-As" the same document in Word 97-2003 format, the select-object functionality returns. Hope it helps for you, and that it does not in the process throw away other Word-2010-specific features you may have sitting in that doc.
    • Proposed as answer by Jessy69 Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:49 PM
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 3:43 PM
  • If this truly is an intended 'flaw', where you can no longer drag and select objects, then this is an absolute deal breaker for me. 

I used to be able to very quickly design beautiful graphics in Word without resorting to CAD programs. I wrote and illustrated an entire textbook in Word and always enjoyed the powerful capability of dragging and grouping large numbers of objects and then replicating them. I do not have the time or patience to individually select each object and group them.

I really don't mean to sound aggressive, but is there any alternative that restores that functionality? If not, I'm going back to Word:2008.

Friday, October 22, 2010 6:07 AM
  • I agree with the others - this is ridiculous that Microsoft would make this tool available but remove its ability to do anything useful.  Not being able to select a bunch of objects at the same time is a great limitation.  I could hardly believe it when I read that this has been a known issue since Word 2010 Beta in Dec 2009 and continues to be an issue now with the full release, almost a year later.  I just recently upgraded to 2010 and I wish I hadn't.  I used to use the select tool all the time; having to select objects one at a time with the control key is a useless waste of time. 

Sally, you've suggested that there is no simple solution because of how you've changed the graphics/art features.  Are you saying that you didn't realize this would be a significant issue?  Why did the graphics/art features get designed in a way that you couldn't select a group of objects?  That should have been a key feature that was required to work.  If it doesn't work, change the way the graphics/art features are designed.  Fancy extras are no good if the basics don't work.

As the consumer for whom this application is designed, I don't want to hear about why there is a problem or why you can't solve it.  I just want to be able to use the tool.  It's your software.  Fix it.

PetrusV - Thanks for the suggestion of saving in an older format!  That'll work for now.  Still hard to believe that formatting that is a decade old works better than the "new and improved" version.

Friday, November 05, 2010 2:07 AM
  • Are you changing the Selection mode to Select Objects in the Editing section of the Home tab of the ribbon?
    • Proposed as answer by dibella2365 Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:06 AM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:01 AM
  • Are you changing the Selection mode to Select Objects in the Editing section of the Home tab of the ribbon?
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:02 AM
  • This is an irritatingly terrible bug by Microsoft. I used to use this feature all the time for complex drawings. It is particularily weird how the feature's functionality returns when the document is saved as a .DOC (older version).I assume this will be fixed with a service pack in the near future??

Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:48 PM
  • I wholeheartedly agree, and have warned 2 friends off MS Office 2010 simply because of the lack of this fundamental feature.  While I can understand Microsoft wanting to 'dumb down' office to make it easier for the masses I, and many other more intensive users, are reverting to alterternatives because of this and other poorly designed features.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:03 AM
  •  

In other words, don't upgrade to 2010 as it is not a finished product. That said, I've already purchased office 2010. Is it possible to 'revert' to office 2007 using the license for office 2010?

Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:58 PM
  • What a disappointment to learn of this loss of functionality!  This is a major annoyance to me, because the graphics I generate have a lot of detail, and I heavily used the ability to rapidly select numerous opjects in an area for grouping, duplicating, etc.  I would go back to Office 2007 if I could.

Another annoyance - after using Select All, the "Group" utility doesn't work! 

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Amusing! I would really like to hear Microsoft tell us which fantastic features in 2010 we get in exchange for this quite substantial loss of functionality and all the other bugs. Perhaps they should hire some new developers.

I wonder why it is that each new version from Microsoft solves one problem and creates two other. Perhaps they should try to develop the existing versions and remove all bugs (which there were plenty of in both 2007 and 2003) before halfheartedly releasing new inferior versions that are even less user friendly.

It seems that someone in the organization thinks that the solution to all problems is to come up with pointless new design features (ribbons?!!) rather than solving the extensive problems with the entire office package.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 9:32 AM
  • I have just upgraded to Office 2010. Unfortunately, when I used the "Select Objects" in Microsoft Word just to merge all shapes created, it really didn't work. So I decided to reprove this function in Microsoft Powerpoint, it showed a different result working properly as in Office 2007. The way to solve the problem now is grouping objects in Powerpoint first and then copy the grouped objects to Word. It helps..... I wholeheartedly agree that this is a basic mistake from Microsoft :-)

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 12:10 AM
  • If it's 'by design' and 'out of scope' then that's a poor excuse for removing such functionality of such a widely used product as Word.  I use this facility all the time for including drawings of different types in my work.  No doubt Microsoft will use their cover-all phrase of 'in the next release' to cover their backs.  In the meantime their users, once again, suffer.

Please, Microsoft, get it right for Pete's sake - your customers should be who you are writing your software for, not your shareholders.

Monday, August 08, 2011 9:47 AM
  • Just to add to this problem further, I tried assigning the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + G (yes, I know it's usually used for Goto, but it's what I'm used to), and this doesn't appear to work either.

Also, once inline with text and the shape selected, you can't simply click the centre paragraph tool to centre the object on the line; you either have to select the entire line or move your cursor to the line and click the centre tool.

More rough edges and functionality removal?

(Thankfully the ribbon is kind of tailorable now!)

Monday, August 08, 2011 10:00 AM
  • I just pasted a couple dozen shapes from a PPT into a 2010 Word doc and got here trying to find out why I can't select all of them in a single easy swoosh of the mouse. 

This is an extraordinary dumb decision by Microsoft. Did they not bother to do any user testing with real-world writers and editors to see what functionality they use when creating documents with shapes and objects?  I can't believe they disabled such a useful feature.  Seriously, it's like going back to the 80s. 

Thanks to those who've suggested saving to Word 97-2003.  But as noted, I assume you lose any 2010-specific functionality (and I assume even 2007 functionality). 

Microsoft, are you getting this?  Your customers are having to save two versions back to continue using your product.  Your product is devolving.  (Reminds me of all the people still hanging onto XP...)

Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:16 PM
  • The most surprising thing is that apparently this is difficult to implement. All the corner positions of the shapes are known, so it should be a piece of cake to find out if shapes lie completely within in a given area.

The question remains whether this will be added at a later time in a service pack. 

Lenovo X61 tablet, Core2Duo L7700 1.8GHz, 4Gb,Intel 965 integrated graphics, MultiTouch/MultiView screen (pen + resistive touch), Intel turbo memory bluescreen generator, UltraBase docking station.
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 9:57 PM
  • Guys, there is a way round all this without resorting to older formats.

First create a drawing canvas (yes, those awful things that everyone just used to switch off in Word XP and 2003).  I would recommend changing the text wrapping at the same time.

The rectangle select will work normally within the canvas.

A retrograde step I agree, along with all the shortcuts that have been eliminated, but it works.

I hope this helps a few people.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 7:21 PM
  • An easier work-around for me was to open the Selection Pane list from the Home menu bar (Editing: Select/Selection Pane).  All of the objects in your document will be displayed on that list, and you can select all of the objects you want to group together from it while holding down the CTRL key.  Selection boxes appear around the objects in your document as you select them on the list.  Once you have lit up all of the objects you want to group, group them from the document's Drawing Tools/Format/Group menu (or Picture Tools/Format/Group), and they will move to a separate grouped object list within the Selection Pane.  On one hand, it's a little slower than a click-and-drag action, but on the other, it allows you to select some overlapping objects without selecting all.  It will also allow you to group inserted photos with drawing objects you create, which I have found to be a problem with the <SHIFT + click on each object> method.
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 11:41 PM
  • Thanks a lot, iFunz... this really was so helpful that I just couldn't simply vote... had to thank you personally... *whew*...  I can now focus on my work instead of the frustration.

Saturday, March 03, 2012 12:54 AM
  • This is ridiculous:
     I have sometimes created drawings within word and now I can't select (sometimes 50 plus lines, including mini lines and marks just 1mm long, impossible to select by mouse if you don't zoom in) in one swoop???

The other suggestions:
    - Due to the layout and mixed texts and drawings I can't work with canvas
    - Saving in the old format I might loose functionality which I only will realize next time I open up a (messed up) document...

I know I should combine them or create a group, but for this I still have to select them all to group them and it makes changing things (which I do reasonably often) more of a hassle.
    I wish I could go back to Office 2003 without the stupid, space hogging, useless ribbon, but I can't because my company dictates that use of Office 2010 plus the only good thing they did was to improve the filters functionality in Excel which I make extensive use of.

@ Mircosoft:
    If you continue to remove 1 error (improve 1 feature) but create more problems in the process, there will be coming a day with a competing product doing it better, and privately I will be the first to change and I will work on my IT guys to try it out day and night for changing the company over (300+ employees).

OpenOffice is unfortunately not ready for prime time just yet, even so it is free, it misses some functionality and of course Access is still very Microsoft specific which probably will keep a lot of customers...

• Edited by marwerno Tuesday, August 07, 2012 2:21 PM
    Tuesday, August 07, 2012 9:21 AM
  • Unbelievable! I just found this thread after jacking with this issue for thirty minutes.

Luckily, I'm going to save under old format. Some of you guys are worried about losing new features when doing this. Aside from maybe smart-art or some other feature I haven't used.....what features? Microsoft hasn't added anything worth a %$#& in the last two versions anyway.

Except that tasty unmodifiable ribbon up there. Oh...and the custom buttons/toolbars I used to use not existing....and....shall I go on?

Frankly it reminds me of their pathetic decision to kill one the best down and dirty graphics programs ever instead of integrating it into word.

Anybody ever remember MS Image Composer that came free with Front-page 2000? Talk about wicked!

Google that and download it. (oh sorry...."Bing" it)...hehehe...don't want to insult Microsoft's "shot over the bow" at Google for Google doing google Apps.

• Edited by DanOfEarth Saturday, August 18, 2012 4:52 PM
    • Proposed as answer by warrwick Wednesday, September 05, 2012 1:41 PM
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 4:51 PM
  • Thanks to all those who contributed to this thread.

I've just spent about half an housde trying to slect a bunch of text boxes, graphics etc.  It was about to send me spare.

I'll save as 2003 & go from there.

Some comments to MS:

Drawing in 2003 was a delight.  (once you turned off the stupid drawing board)

Drawing in 2007 was neutral.

Drawing in 2010 is a chore.

Please take note.

Another comment:

Gt rid of that useless,real estate hogging,ribbon & bring back your own specific icon tool bars as in 2003.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 1:47 PM
  • Yes, PetrusV has the only workable solution.  THANK YOU FOR SHARING IT!!!! Thank goodness there IS away, but how stupid of MS that we have to do it.  Makes sharing files a nightmare with others using 2010.  Argh
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:27 PM
  • Hey i just found out how to add back the missing arrow select tool in office 2007, don't know if it would work in 2010:

Right-click in the toolbars area and turn on the quick access toolbar, which appears at the top left of the window beside the round office logo.

Right click on the quick access toolbar and select "customize quick access toolbar".

Pull down the left pull-down menu and change "popular commands" to "all commands".

Scroll down the list and find "Select Drawing Objects" and click the arrow to add it to the toolbar. Close the options dialogue and use your re-enabled arrow tool.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 4:23 PM
  • Thanks beng.  Perfect example of how cool heads prevail.
    Monday, October 22, 2012 3:22 PM
  • Beng,

Thanks for the suggestion, but this doesn't seem to work for Office 2010.

This is yet another 'unfinished' release of an MS software package that used to work well with basic functions, but has now been ruined by removal of some very useful functions. My Computer Helpdesk recommends 'saving files as' a previous version of WORD, whereupon the select objects function becomes usable again - but it's not as easy as the older method and not a  good advert for 'upgrading' to the latest version of WORD. With this and the problems I had convincing my legal copy of Office that it actually was legal, if I had had to pay for the upgrade myself I would be requesting a refund. Please take note Microsoft!

DW

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 1:10 PM
  • This workaround is nice if you have a small number of objects to group, but with a large number it becomes very time consuming. I can't believe that the SHIFT option doesn't even work on this list - if it did, you would be able to select large numbers of objects easily.  I can't believe this option disappeared because the new code doesn't allow it, seeing as the CTRL option works.  This should really be fixed.

Another important note is that selecting multiple objects is not just to group them. Selecting like this allowed you to change properties of many items at once

Monday, December 03, 2012 8:51 PM
  • "Zeke2Geek" wrote in message news:fc6e5193-2090-476b-ad40-7ac4e695e1a0@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    This workaround is nice if you have a small number of objects to group, but with a large number it becomes very time consuming. I can't believe that the SHIFT option doesn't even work on this list - if it did, you would be able to select large numbers of objects easily. I can't believe this option disappeared because the new code doesn't allow it, seeing as the CTRL option works. This should really be fixed.

Another important note is that selecting multiple objects is not just to group them. Selecting like this allowed you to change properties of many items at once

Note that “lasso selection” is supported if you resave in *.doc format.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Tuesday, December 04, 2012 7:51 AM
  • I have just registered so I could reply to this thread.

The registration process was very ... aehm ... frustrating, I was only able to fill in the correct Captcha after about 10 ties. But ... this is not unexpected, when working with a Microsfoft product. How am I supposed to know whether that bloody captcha wants me to to write '4Yp8' or '4yP8'. There is no way to tell. You can distinguish capital letters when it is something like A, a or H, h, but not between y and Y or P and p.

I would like to thank all the posters for suggested workarounds. They work. Kinda - sorta ... . I was able to finish the editing of large picture (consisting of many graphics objects) that HAS to be made in word (My boss said so). All your tips saved me *hours* of frustration.

I would like to tell Microsoft programmers AND their managers, that *if* the quote in the second post is correct: 

================

================

You are bunch of incompetent amateurs. 

If I used such lame excuse for missing important functionality at work, I would be very soon replaced by a more competent programmer.

This time I am not a programmer, I am AN USER. And, as an user I do not care if your internal data structure for new objects doesn't let you do something easily. Find a way to implement that feature or change the data structure. Period.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:17 PM
  • Two solutions - best one is to save as 97-2003 version and select objects works again - or use the Page Layout - Selection Pane tool which shows all your objects and allows you to select them individually or in multiples holding shift

• Proposed as answer by Gsand01 Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:02 PM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:02 PM
  • "Gsand01" wrote in message news:95a64e0e-d90b-4c64-9f90-7a21b7847295@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Two solutions - best one is to save as 97-2003 version and select objects works again - or use the Page Layout - Selection Pane tool which shows all your objects and allows you to select them individually or in multiples holding shift

Note that these workarounds have been mentioned previously in this thread.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 6:48 PM
  • "I Do Not Want To Tell" wrote in message news:be7c8641-f57b-4834-b1e5-b41496108148@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    The registration process was very ... aehm ... frustrating, I was only able to fill in the correct Captcha after about 10 ties.

[---]

The registration process is intentionally convoluted in order to prevent (automated) spamming. I believe not only Microsoft but most companies make use of something similar.

Note that the lost "lasso" function is a problem for many people. But instead of complaining here, to fellow users, post a suggestion at http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Office/feedback.aspx?formID=375.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:33 PM
  • To refine the above mentioned work-arounds: A combination of the "Page Layout - Selection Pane tool" and "Drawing Canvas" aren't too bad to work with. If you make the canvas roughly the same size as your page and set its "Text Wrapping" to "behind text" you can then use the "Select Objects" tool to lasso without problems. Just remember to press escape to exit the "Select Objects" tool when going back to add or edit the main text. If the main text doesn’t overlap into your intended area for selecting objects there is no need to use the "Select Objects" tool for making selections – just click and drag out your selection box.

Option 2: Use MS Publisher 2010

Many thanks to others on this forum for your tips and work-arounds.

• Edited by kevbell007 Friday, January 25, 2013 2:39 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 2:00 PM
  • You can no longer select multiple objects by dragging in Word 2010 (see many comments below!) but you can do it using the selection pane. (Far right on the Home ribbon > Select > Selection Pane) (I know - how is that not a drop-down menu?! What is this ribbon!?)

This allows you to select and de-select multiple objects - which may be buried under other layers etc.

You can also move them up and down in the layers.

Once selected and grouped, objects can then be handled more easily, word-wrap applied, etc.

It is nowhere near as convenient for selecting as the old drag method, and really needs to include a 'select all' option, but at least it works!

Hope this helps!

• Edited by jonB.ca Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:42 AM
    • Proposed as answer by jonB.ca Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:43 AM
    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:42 AM
  • You can no longer select multiple objects by dragging in Word 2010 (see many comments below!) but you can do it using the selection pane. (Far right on the Home ribbon > Select > Selection Pane) (I know - how is that not a drop-down menu?! What is this ribbon!?)

Note that this workaround has already been mentioned in this thread...

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:14 AM
  • The solution is here: http://www.tsbvi.edu/blog/otrtech/2012/02/21/word-2010-with-windows-7/

Save your docx as a doc and magically dragging works to select objects.

Monday, February 10, 2014 12:41 PM
  • I have used Office 2010 for awhile. Totally agree with most negative comments related to reduced capability for drawing function. One step forward, 2 steps back on this and some other functions. I am at a loss as to how this happens since if the designers don't have real world experience of these products, others within MS do, or I am missing the point on the real motives for gelding this product.

I have used and continue to use the drawing function in many reports and documents often with many individual drawings. For me, grouping is a fundamental requirement for the complex drawings, as well as ungrouping/regrouping for editing, etc.

Interesting to see solution of saving as earlier version to restore functionality.

Current solution is to retain a copy of Word 2003 as well as full Office 2010. Actually 2003 can do nearly everything, but primarily 2003 has great drawing capability with one drawing tool bar grouping all the tools together and with drop down menu for grid, rotate, flip, etc. Works really well.

Friday, March 07, 2014 8:31 AM