none
Change data source - mail merge

    Question

  • I have a mail merge document which was migrated to a new server. Now every time when I run the mail merge document it tells me "Error has occurred: The Microsoft Access database could not find the object '   '. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the p". In the error it points to the old path on the server. When I click OK the data link properties window pops up. I change the data source to point to the path of the new server and the document opens up. The only problem is that this does not save. I have to specify the new path to the server everytime. How do I set this permanently?
    Tuesday, October 09, 2012 8:19 PM

Answers

  • If you had saved the document with the new data source, it would 'stick' - it certainly wouldn't go looking for the old one. Given your earlier comments about the data not being found when you navigate to and select the file, I suspect the issue isn't with finding the data source but may be with its format.

    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

    Friday, October 12, 2012 7:20 AM

All replies

  • When the document first opens, answer 'No' to the SQL prompt. Then navigate to the new data source and connect it. Save the mailmerge main document.

    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

    • Proposed as answer by Rob Botwin Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:29 PM
    Tuesday, October 09, 2012 10:26 PM
  • when i click "no" the mail merge word doc opens up. Where do I go on the doc to enter the new data source?
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:09 PM
  • Go to Mailings|Select Recipients|New Data Source, then navigate to and select the file in its new location.

    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:21 PM
  • When I click no and then go to Mailing, Select Recipients......I have 3 choices: type new list, use existing list, or select from outlook contacts

    I choose use existing list.....navigate to the excel file on the new server but there is no data. If I click yes and enter in the path manually of the excel file on the new server then the data comes up correctly.

    Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:53 PM
  • I can't explain why selecting the file via navigation would give a different result than what you get by typing the path manually. Certainly not standard behaviour. Still, it seems you have the problem sorted and that's what it's all about.

    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

    Friday, October 12, 2012 1:14 AM
  • I save the word document, close out the file and reopen it. The data source I saved did not stick. It gives me the same error again.
    Friday, October 12, 2012 1:23 AM
  • If you had saved the document with the new data source, it would 'stick' - it certainly wouldn't go looking for the old one. Given your earlier comments about the data not being found when you navigate to and select the file, I suspect the issue isn't with finding the data source but may be with its format.

    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

    Friday, October 12, 2012 7:20 AM
  • Get to the point where your mail merge main document is open. Then disconnect the data source (e.g., in Word 2007/2010, click the Mailings tab, Start Mail Merge, and click the Normal Word Document option). Then go through the connection process again, ideally ensuring that your merge type (labels/directory/whatever) and the merge destination are correct. Then save and close your document. Then re-open.


    Peter Jamieson



    Monday, October 15, 2012 11:12 PM
  • I am having the same problem with some, but not all, Excel merge data sources for Word mail merge. There are two symptoms: (1)the data source will not stick as the recipient list and has to be search for every time or (2) the data source string is: " SELECT * FROM `Sheet1$` ", which does not find the file, of course.

    I have tried the recommended "Say No to the SQL command box, reseek, and save mail merge master". This just ends up with no connection at all. When an existing merge document begins to behave this way it occurs on all versions of Word we have (2003, 2007, 2010).


    Mike Chern

    Friday, April 19, 2013 9:05 PM
  • 1. Do you have the same problem if you try to connect a completely new Word document to the data source? If so, probably something wrong with the Excel file - if you can reconstruct it, or even create a test file with the same sheet name and column names, that may show that the file is/was at fault.

    2. For the default OLE DB connection type, the SQL message is the correct one - the SQL does not reference the workbook path or name - that comes from the file name or connection string which is not displayed in that dialog box.

    3. When you see the SQL warning and click Yes, do you then see a dialog box which provides the workbook path/name. Does that file exist? Is it the one you expect? If yes, again, I would suspect the Excel file. If no, the wrong data source is "sticking". That will happen if the previous data source has not been properly disconnected - e.g. If you proceed from the dialog I mention, then choose the option to find the data source in the next or subsequent dialog, it does then appear that you have corrected the problem, but in fact Word "reverts" to the previous source the next time you open. Typically clicking Yes in the SQL dialog box should disconnect the old data source, but I would at least "make sure" by e.g. setting the mail merge main document type to Normal Word Document in the mailings tab.


    Peter Jamieson



    Saturday, April 20, 2013 5:45 AM
  • Found this response in a search, as I was experiencing the same issue...

    Worked like a charm!

    THANKS!

    Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:30 PM