none
sharepoint outlook 2010 sync error

Question

• We had to rebuild our Sharepoint server and now when I open my outlook and try to sync my calander to sharepoint i get the following message "Another version of Outlook is running please close and try again"   When I close Outlook I get the message "Can't start Outlook"    Has anyone had this issue or can anyone help me

Wayne

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What’s kind of your browser? Try to use IE.

Can you verify the meaning of “try to sync my calander to sharepoint”?
    1. SharePoint Connect to Outlook
    2. SharePoint get the calendar info from Exchange URL)

For One,  Start Outlook in Safe mode (Click Start > Run type: Outlook.exe /safe ), browse to the Calendar List and synchronized with Outlook and check the effect. If it works fine, please disable all SharePoint add-in to see the result.

Do you see the issue when you link to the Calendar from another machine that has never connected to the Calendar list? Or delete current Outlook profile, recreate a new one, and check the effect.

Are your Outlook working in cached mode? If so, change to online mode, and check the effect.

Try to enable SharePoint synchronization logging by utilizing the following registry:
    Key: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Options\Mail
    DWORD: EnableWSSSyncLogging
    Values: 1 = logging enabled.

And then open the SharePoint site, navigate to the calendar, click Action-Connect to Outlook, you can find the SharePoint synchronization log files in the %Temp% folder and they have the following naming convention: #-wss-sync-log.htm. Post the information in #-wss-sync-log.htm into the forum for further research.

For Two, I think it won’t make Outlook Client Crash because SharePoint get the calendar info from Exchange server site, and it is none business of Outlook.

Let me know the result. Thanks.

Tony Chen

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 23, 2012 8:04 AM

All replies

• corrections!!!

It's the companyweb that's giving the messages:

when I open my outlook and try to sync my calander to sharepoint i get the following message "Another version of Outlook is running please close and try again"   When I close Outlook I get the message "Can't start Outlook"    Has anyone had this issue or can anyone help me

Wayne

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:07 PM
  • Hi,

What’s kind of your browser? Try to use IE.

Can you verify the meaning of “try to sync my calander to sharepoint”?
    1. SharePoint Connect to Outlook
    2. SharePoint get the calendar info from Exchange URL)

For One,  Start Outlook in Safe mode (Click Start > Run type: Outlook.exe /safe ), browse to the Calendar List and synchronized with Outlook and check the effect. If it works fine, please disable all SharePoint add-in to see the result.

Do you see the issue when you link to the Calendar from another machine that has never connected to the Calendar list? Or delete current Outlook profile, recreate a new one, and check the effect.

Are your Outlook working in cached mode? If so, change to online mode, and check the effect.

Try to enable SharePoint synchronization logging by utilizing the following registry:
    Key: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Options\Mail
    DWORD: EnableWSSSyncLogging
    Values: 1 = logging enabled.

And then open the SharePoint site, navigate to the calendar, click Action-Connect to Outlook, you can find the SharePoint synchronization log files in the %Temp% folder and they have the following naming convention: #-wss-sync-log.htm. Post the information in #-wss-sync-log.htm into the forum for further research.

For Two, I think it won’t make Outlook Client Crash because SharePoint get the calendar info from Exchange server site, and it is none business of Outlook.

Let me know the result. Thanks.

Tony Chen

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 23, 2012 8:04 AM
  • Tony

I went into the registry but there is no mail after HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Options\Mail   do you have another clue on how to resole this issue.   Thank you

Wayne

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 3:12 AM
  • Tony

The why I try to sync is when I open sharepoint go to calendar-actions-then connect with the client is when i receive the message "Can't open Outlook" and when I open the Outlook and perform the sync operation again I get the message "another instance is running please close Outlook and try again"  this only happens with the clients that are running outlook 2010, the ones running outlook 2007 seem to have no problems

wayne

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 6:36 PM