none
How can I unlock a protected document if I forgot my password?

General discussion

• I have a document that I fount a typing error in; it happens to be password protected. I cannot remember what I used for a password! There doesn't seem to be a security question or password hint step, is there a way to bypass or override the password?  
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:35 PM

All replies

• Is this a protected form? In that case, just create a new, blank document. Use the Insert File dialog box to bring in the content of the protected document, which can now be edited.

To display the Insert File dialog box in Word 2007 or 2010, click the arrow on the Object button on the Insert tab, and then click Text from File. If you are using Word 2003, click Insert | File.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:53 PM
  • When I click insert flie, it opens the file but then requests the password to view it.

Is there any way to remove the password, or bypass the password process?

it is a very old document and I cannot remember what the password could be. I have tried everything I can think of.

Thanks

Monday, June 04, 2012 3:00 AM
  • When I click insert flie, it opens the file but then requests the password to view it.

Is there any way to remove the password, or bypass the password process?

it is a very old document and I cannot remember what the password could be. I have tried everything I can think of.

Thanks

Word doesn't offer a way to circumvent the password to open a document, no.

Monday, June 04, 2012 7:16 AM
  • I found a solution to this issue. If you do a Save As on the document and save it as a file type Word Document (Not the 97-2003 version). This allows you to edit what you need done. Then you can save it back as a 97-2003 version to allow you to relock the document. Hope this helps.

• Edited by ChipsattACK Tuesday, April 08, 2014 1:36 PM
    Tuesday, April 08, 2014 1:36 PM
  • I found a solution to this issue. If you do a Save As on the document and save it as a file type Word Document (Not the 97-2003 version). This allows you to edit what you need done. Then you can save it back as a 97-2003 version to allow you to relock the document. Hope this helps.

You can't do Save As on a document you can't open, so I don't understand what you are suggesting, exactly.

If you are referring to a protected form, inserting it into a new, blank document (as suggested previously in this thread) will work.

Tuesday, April 08, 2014 6:40 PM