none
excel file share

Question

• I have a home network set up with windows 7, a wireless router and an external hard drive hooked into the router.  I have a desktop also hooked into the router.  The external hard drive is also accessed wirelessly thru DHCP server set up.  After fumbling my way thru the setup of my home network I discovered a problem with Microsoft excel.  I am using Microsoft office 2010.  I will attempt to describe my problem.

When in excel, user (A) creates a new file "xyz..xlsx" saved on the external hard drive, and exits the program.  User (B) opens the new file "xyz..xlsx" just created makes changes, updated etc. then saves and exits the program.  When user (B) looks at the file with windows explorer or excel (the file"xyz..xlsx" residing on the external hard drive) the properties show the time of their last update.  Now if user (A) looks at the same file from their laptop in windows explorer or excel, then the file properties show the modified date and time of only when they (user (A)) made changes, they do not see or can not access the file that user (B) sees.  There has been a duplicate file created.  There are shortcut files also saved under each user "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Recent Items" and "Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\Recent Items" roots.  If  any user is looking at the "xyz..xlsx" file on the external hard drive they are actually not seeing the same file.  The file path and name is identical, but the file information is different, they are seeing the file information that was saved locally on their (local hard drive).  It is like the file that appears on the external hard drive looks like an excel file but is actually acting like a link to their copy of the file stored on their local hard drive. 

I hope this makes sense to someone???.  I am by no means a network expert, I barely know enough the be dangerous.  I need help!!  Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

A similar case was caused by the synchronization fails of offline files when the offline files feature was enabled in Windows 7.
    Users opened the offline files which had not been synchronized to the files on the external hard drive.
    Please determine if the feature has been turned on. If so, try to disable the feature.

Sincerely
    Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 13, 2012 2:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

A similar case was caused by the synchronization fails of offline files when the offline files feature was enabled in Windows 7.
    Users opened the offline files which had not been synchronized to the files on the external hard drive.
    Please determine if the feature has been turned on. If so, try to disable the feature.

Sincerely
    Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 13, 2012 2:21 AM
  • Rex you are a networking Hero!!  That was the problem.  The offline file feature was enabled on 2 of the laptop that access the network and the desktop was disabled.  I disabled the feature on all of the computers and everything is working great.  Thank you so much, you have been a great help!!  I told you I know enough to be dangerous, now I know a little bit more.  Thanks again!!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:49 PM