none
Microsoft Office 2007 does not start up

Question

•  

Hi,

I am using Microsoft Office 2007. Before running Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleaner, all MS Office application are running good. After running Disk Cleaner, no MS Office application is starting up. There are this error messages:

MS Outlook -> Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot initialize Microsoft Office
    shared utilities. Restart your computer or reinstall Microsoft Office Outlook.

MS Word    -> There is not enough memory or disk space to run Word.

MS Excel    -> Not enough memory to run Microsoft Office Excel.  Please close other
    applications and try again.

I tested logging in as Administrator in my local domain and every MS Office applications are running properly. Only in our company domain it does not work properly. I searched the net and found a solution. I need to login as Administrator in my PC and recreate my user account for company's domain. I need also to delete NTUSER.DAT before recreating. I have done all this and alas no more error message prompting but no new window/application showing. It just change the mouse icon to an hour-glass and later on no more. No application or new window being shown. Logging in the Administrator account in my local domain, same scenario applies. All MS Office application is running properly. As a solution, I reinstall my MS Office application but no change. After the hour-glass icon, nothing happens. Any help? Listed below is the details of my PC:

OS                   -> XP Professional SP3 Version 2002

Disk Partition    -> C Drive = 16GB, D Drive = 220GB (MS Office is installed on D Drive)

Hardware Brand -> DELL Optiplex 755

Processor         -> Intel Core2 Duo 3GHz
         Memory            -> 3.23GB RAM

Friday, August 29, 2008 1:57 AM

All replies

• I am suddenly having the exact same problem.  I recently did a full windowsupdate.com update and defragged my hard drive.  For a while I was getting that Office application memory error message on startup, then I deinstalled, cleaned the registry of all Office related stuff I could find, reinstalled, and now it just does the hour glass thing like you described.  After several hours, I finally gave up and installed OpenOffice, which works great for everything except the stupid Office 2007 .docx, .pptx, and .xlsx formats.  I wish I'd never paid for Office 2007.

I'm running the same OS as described above, except it's Media Center Edition with SP3.  This is so maddening.  I will post a solution if I find one -- I couldn't find any other solution on the Internet, ever though other people seem to be having this problem.

RH

Monday, September 01, 2008 3:51 AM
  • By the way, in the midst of all this I also tried uninstalling Office 2007 and re-installing Office XP (2003).  When each application is started up, it pops up something along the lines of "This application is not installed for this user" and then it crashes. 

RH

Monday, September 01, 2008 3:54 AM
  • Thanks for the idea. I will ask our System Administrator if they will allow us to use OpenOffice.

To anybody who knows the workaround for this Microsoft Office irregularities, your help will be gladly appreciated.

Monday, September 01, 2008 6:44 AM
  • I was having a very similar problem, same error message.  What actually worked for me was the following kb article from Microsoft:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911682

Setting the permissions corrected the problem.  I could run Word 2007, etc using run as administrator.  But got various version of the memory error after several installs and uninstalls.  A few of them had Word trying to configure itself each time and then giving the memory error.

Hope this helps.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 2:49 AM