Errors have been detected in the file - outlook0.OST - use the repair tool (scanPST.exe)

Question

• Lately, one of the users in our office, who is on Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit) and MS-Office 2007 received the following Error Message, and everything  - from Mails to Calendar to Tasks - stopped working...

The error message said, "Error have been detected in the file c:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook0.ost. Quit Outlook and all applications, the use Inbox repair tool (scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair the errors in the file."

The problem got solved after spending a lot of time in front of the machine running the "Scanpst.exe" tool over and over again (quiet a painful exercise) for about 2 days (as it was a weekend, and there wasn't a support available to the user)!

Though I understand the problem could have been solved by renaming the "ost" file, and restarting Outlook; could somebody out there suggest any reasons to why THIS problem happens at all? And are there any precautions we could take to prevent it? (The user recently added Microsoft CRM to his Outlook.)

Another POINT that I would like somebody to comment on is that why does THIS messge tells to use "scanpst.exe," and not "scanost.exe" to repair an "ost" file? I would appreciate any useful links to some detailed technical explanations on this.   

Many Thanks in Advance!

Regards
    Yagyesh

Monday, July 26, 2010 3:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for using Outlook IT Pro Discussions forum. 

There are many factors that can cause PST or OST being corrupted.

o   Normally, unexpected problems may occur if the PST or OST exceeds 2GB. So, please make sure the PST or OST is smaller than 2GB.

o   To avoid unexpected problems, it is better to back up the PST or OST.

o   It is better to scan the system for viruses if the problem occurs many times.

Regarding your second question, I would like to explain that we can use the Inbox Repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the .pst or .ost file. The difference is:

o   Scanpst.exe scans only the .pst or .ost file, not your mailbox on the server running Microsoft Exchange.

o   Scanost.exe runs only on .ost files and can be used to diagnose and repair synchronization issues. The tool scans both your .ost file and your mailbox on the server running Exchange, compares the items and folders in each, and attempts to reconcile synchronization differences between them.

For the details, you can refer to this article:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/scan-and-repair-corrupted-outlook-data-files-HA010075831.aspx

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for using Outlook IT Pro Discussions forum. 

There are many factors that can cause PST or OST being corrupted.

o   Normally, unexpected problems may occur if the PST or OST exceeds 2GB. So, please make sure the PST or OST is smaller than 2GB.

o   To avoid unexpected problems, it is better to back up the PST or OST.

o   It is better to scan the system for viruses if the problem occurs many times.

Regarding your second question, I would like to explain that we can use the Inbox Repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the .pst or .ost file. The difference is:

o   Scanpst.exe scans only the .pst or .ost file, not your mailbox on the server running Microsoft Exchange.

o   Scanost.exe runs only on .ost files and can be used to diagnose and repair synchronization issues. The tool scans both your .ost file and your mailbox on the server running Exchange, compares the items and folders in each, and attempts to reconcile synchronization differences between them.

For the details, you can refer to this article:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/scan-and-repair-corrupted-outlook-data-files-HA010075831.aspx

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:13 AM
  • Thanks so much for your reply Sally ! Your tips on PST and OST corruption should come useful for me...great thanks ! !

The explanation around the differences b/w Scanpst and Scanost clarifies my doubt. But I want your help to understand the following para from the article provided in your web-link.

"To use the OST Integrity Check tool, you must connect to your Exchange account so that the tool can scan your mailbox folders and items. If you previously set up Outlook to start offline automatically, the OST Integrity Check tool will not be able to access your mailbox on the server running Exchange. Therefore, before you run the tool, you need to change your Outlook startup settings temporarily." - Which startup setting are to be changed here temporarily? Is it by using any command line switch? Could you please explain? 

Regards,
    Yagyesh

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:20 AM
  • Hi Yagyesh,

It means that when you use the OST Integrity Check tool (scanost.exe), you need to first start Outlook with working online.

For the detailed steps on how to switch between offline and online, you can refer to this article:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/switch-between-working-offline-and-online-HP005242598.aspx

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:37 AM
  • Thanks a lot Sally !

Regards
    Yagyesh

Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:23 AM
  • I used the scanpst.exe. But it was interrupted when scan.  So faint......................................................
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:36 AM