none
OneNote New Section greyed out after Live Sync

Question

• I have been using OneNote for quite some time and now absolutely rely on it. I have recently been migrating to SkyDrive and Live in general and so started to migrate my notebooks to that service so that I can sync them with other machines and my iPad.

However, I see that after I sync a notebook the ability to edit the notebook is lost, this is most easily recognised when I see that the create new section is greyed out.

I first thought this was to do with creating sections, but I now see the same problem when copy general pages to the new book.

Any help much appreciated

Michael

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

I didn't hear about such kind of issue so far, there should be somthing wrong with your environment.

Please open your OneNote, click File > Options > Add-ins, check if there is any add-in installed.

If there is, try disable it (them) and check this issue again.

If there isn't any, try to create a new notebook to sync with your live account, see if this behavior will still occur.

If there is firewall or other safety software in use, try add OneNote to the "white list".

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

I didn't hear about such kind of issue so far, there should be somthing wrong with your environment.

Please open your OneNote, click File > Options > Add-ins, check if there is any add-in installed.

If there is, try disable it (them) and check this issue again.

If there isn't any, try to create a new notebook to sync with your live account, see if this behavior will still occur.

If there is firewall or other safety software in use, try add OneNote to the "white list".

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:02 AM
  • hi Max,

I'm having the exact same issue, however with a notebook on Sharepoint. OneNote 2010 SP1 and Sharepoint 2010 is used.

What I did:
    1. in an existing Sharepoint library, create a new folder called "Notes"
    2. create a new workbook in OneNote, using the new "Notes" folder in Sharepoint
    3. now add a new section or try to rename the automatically created "New Section 1" section.

Renaming does not work: after syncing the name of the section is reverted to "New Section 1" again
    After adding a new section or trying to rename an existing one, suddenly all actions are greyed out. It is not possible to add any new sections, rename or delete existing ones anymore. All options are greyed out.

Shift+F9 to sync does not fix this.

EDIT: I just found the solution myself, at least for Sharepoint:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2675731/en-us

bummer...

cheers

• Edited by D.Ecke Friday, July 06, 2012 9:34 AM
    Friday, July 06, 2012 9:28 AM