none
"error in the Microsoft Word previewer"

Question

• Is there an MS fix for "error in the Microsoft Word previewer"?  Can't open any Word document.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

• If you click the Microsoft Office Button or the File tab in Word and then click Open.
    • In the Open dialog box, you click Show the preview pane.

And you receive an error message: "This file can’t be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Word previewer."

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.

Please use one of the following methods to work around this problem.

Method 1

Preview the file in Windows Explorer.

Method 2

Preview the file in a different Microsoft Office application. For example, to preview a Word file, use either Excel or PowerPoint.

For more information review :  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983097

Best Regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 02, 2012 1:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

• If you click the Microsoft Office Button or the File tab in Word and then click Open.
    • In the Open dialog box, you click Show the preview pane.

And you receive an error message: "This file can’t be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Word previewer."

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.

Please use one of the following methods to work around this problem.

Method 1

Preview the file in Windows Explorer.

Method 2

Preview the file in a different Microsoft Office application. For example, to preview a Word file, use either Excel or PowerPoint.

For more information review :  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983097

Best Regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 02, 2012 1:05 PM
  • Those are Microsoft's "accepted" workarounds? That's ridiculous. They dropped the ball on this and gave up and fixed it in 2010. What about the people who bought 2007? I have many attorneys who go to Open File in Word and want to preview the documents. I have to tell them to open it up in Explorer? 
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 8:33 PM
  • FIX IT!
    Monday, March 05, 2012 9:58 PM
  • We experience the same problem here.  That workaround is unacceptable.  Our business paid thousands of dollars for a software that cannot display its own file type.  Consequently, the users are getting very frustrated.  Is Microsoft becoming too complacent?  Microsoft, you need to fix this as soon as possible!
    Friday, May 04, 2012 2:56 PM
  • They dropped the ball on this and gave up and fixed it in 2010.
    Do note that this problem occurs in Office 2010 as well, one of our end users just encountered it in Office 2010 SP1 x86.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 9:20 PM
  • I have a customer complaining about the same issue, Office 2010.  Any idea when it will be fixed?

For what it's worth, running Word in XP SP3 mode fixes the issue, so that is an alternative fix.  Head to Explorer, Program Files, Microsoft Office, Office 14, right click WINWORD, properties, Compatibility tab, and "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose Windows XP Service Pack 3.  Changes the look back to the old XP dialog box, but it does fix the preview issue.

• Edited by RebootTech Wednesday, September 05, 2012 8:18 PM added alternate fix
    • Proposed as answer by RebootTech Wednesday, September 05, 2012 8:18 PM
    Wednesday, September 05, 2012 8:07 PM
  • I think I found a solution! I installed the 2003 MS Word Previewer. Google search for "Microsoft Word Previewer".It fixed the issue for me. Windows 7 Pro 32-Bit machine.
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:04 PM
  • For the benefit of anyone that may run into this issue, uninstalling 2003 corrected the problem or use demo software Word Fix Toolbox (http://www.word.fixtoolbox.com/).
     I do appreciate your response but as you are suggesting that in some situations it may not correct the issues, it should be noted all systems have variances in them for installed software and personal configuration so it should not be summarily dismissed because in some environments it can help.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2014 8:31 AM