none
Can't reply/forward/etc in Outlook 2007 - buttons don't work

Question

• A laptop on which I installed Office Enterprise 2007 recently is now such that the Reply/Forward/etc buttons in Outlook 2007 won't work. They can be pressed, and you can see them depressing, but when you let go, nothing happens. Keyboard shortcut equivalents are also broken. Other office apps and other apps generally are fine, no problems. It's not a key stuck problem, either. Checked that, and rebooted. I've never seen this before. any ideas?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 11:22 PM

Answers

• O.K., well you could try a Repair Installation (Control Panel | Programs...) or you could do a System Restore (Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools) to a date before the problem began.

-B-
    http://www.officeforlawyers.com
    Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:27 AM
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 4:05 AM
  • I understand that the Reply/Forward/etc. buttons do not work in Outlook 2007. 

Based on the current situation, the issue can occur when some settings in Outlook are disabled or corrupted, or caused by some third party add-in’s conflicts.

First, I suggest trying to start Outlook in safe mode. To start Outlook 2007 in the safe mode, follow the steps below:

======================

1.            Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office.

2.            Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click the name of the Microsoft Outlook.

If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue is caused by some third party add-in programs. We can try to disable the certain add-ins in Outlook. However, if the problem persists in the safe mode, let’s continue troubleshooting.

Second, we can try to create a new profile to test the issue.

==============

1.            Exit Outlook.

2.            Go to Start > Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.

Mail appears in different Control Panel locations depending upon the version of the Microsoft Windows operating system, Control Panel view selected, and whether a 32- or 64-bit operating system or version of Outlook is installed.

The easiest way to locate Mail is to open Control Panel in Windows, and then in the Search box at the top of window, type Mail. In Control Panel for Windows XP, type Mail in the Address box.

Note    The Mail icon appears after Outlook starts for the first time.

The title bar of the Mail Setup dialog box contains the name of the current profile. To select a different existing profile, click Show Profiles, select the profile name, and then click Properties.

3.            Click Show Profiles. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used.

4.            Click Add.

5.            Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.

6.            Start Outlook, and choose this new profile. Create a new message and send to yourself in this profile. Try to reply or forward the message to see if it works.

Please let me know the results of the testing. If the problem does not occur in the new profile, the issue is caused by some wrong or corrupted settings or components in the old profile, we can delete the old profile and use the new profile. However, if the problem persists in the new profile, the issue may be caused by the corrupted Outlook program, we may need to repair or reinstall the Office program.

Thursday, March 04, 2010 7:19 AM

All replies

• Wednesday, March 03, 2010 11:57 PM
  • Um, yes :-) Corporate pre-licensed in the MSP to the MSI.
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 3:33 AM
  • O.K., well you could try a Repair Installation (Control Panel | Programs...) or you could do a System Restore (Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools) to a date before the problem began.

-B-
    http://www.officeforlawyers.com
    Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 4:05 AM
  • I understand that the Reply/Forward/etc. buttons do not work in Outlook 2007. 

Based on the current situation, the issue can occur when some settings in Outlook are disabled or corrupted, or caused by some third party add-in’s conflicts.

First, I suggest trying to start Outlook in safe mode. To start Outlook 2007 in the safe mode, follow the steps below:

======================

1.            Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office.

2.            Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click the name of the Microsoft Outlook.

If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue is caused by some third party add-in programs. We can try to disable the certain add-ins in Outlook. However, if the problem persists in the safe mode, let’s continue troubleshooting.

Second, we can try to create a new profile to test the issue.

==============

1.            Exit Outlook.

2.            Go to Start > Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.

Mail appears in different Control Panel locations depending upon the version of the Microsoft Windows operating system, Control Panel view selected, and whether a 32- or 64-bit operating system or version of Outlook is installed.

The easiest way to locate Mail is to open Control Panel in Windows, and then in the Search box at the top of window, type Mail. In Control Panel for Windows XP, type Mail in the Address box.

Note    The Mail icon appears after Outlook starts for the first time.

The title bar of the Mail Setup dialog box contains the name of the current profile. To select a different existing profile, click Show Profiles, select the profile name, and then click Properties.

3.            Click Show Profiles. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used.

4.            Click Add.

5.            Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.

6.            Start Outlook, and choose this new profile. Create a new message and send to yourself in this profile. Try to reply or forward the message to see if it works.

Please let me know the results of the testing. If the problem does not occur in the new profile, the issue is caused by some wrong or corrupted settings or components in the old profile, we can delete the old profile and use the new profile. However, if the problem persists in the new profile, the issue may be caused by the corrupted Outlook program, we may need to repair or reinstall the Office program.

Thursday, March 04, 2010 7:19 AM
  • I encountered the same problem on another freshly-built laptop today. New user, never logged in before, auto-discovered Exchange settings. Loads email but can't print or press toolbar buttons. Repairing office made no difference but creating a new profile did. I noticed auto-discovered settings for this particular user (whose account is on a different mail server than most of our users) did not have cached mode enabled. I enabled that on the new profile as well and now it's fine.

thanks for the suggestions.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:37 AM
  • I am glad to hear it is resolved by creating a new outlook profile and enabling the cache mode.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:33 AM
  • For me, it was the repair installation that did the trick.
    Friday, September 28, 2012 6:12 PM