none
Multiple MSP files for different architecture?

Question

• Starting to look at deploying Office 2103 through SCCM

In previous version it was recommended to deploy the 32-bit flavour of Office even on a x64 client machine. My questions are

1. Do I assume now that given there are sub-folders for x86 and x64 that you should be deploying as per the relevant O/S i.e. running setup.exe in the x64 sub-folder for a 64 bit client

2. Assuming yes to the above does this means you have to create 2 MSP file one for x86 and one for x64 or will one created via x86 work ok for a 64 client?

3. Can I still place the custom MSP file into the root. Lets say for example I create a full and brief.msp files depending on which products I previously put both into the root and ran setup /adminfile xxx.msp

Ian Burnell, London (UK)

Monday, April 08, 2013 10:54 AM

Answers

• To answer your questions:

1. As I know the sub-folder for x64 is only available for retail install sources. For volume users, there are independent install source for both x86 and x64 editions of Office.

2. Yes, we need to create 2 MSP file one for x86 and one for x64, but we only need to create either one of them, and import it into another one. (Importing customization .msp files is intended for equivalent cross-architecture products only. You can import a 32-bit Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 customization .msp file into the 64-bit version of the OCT for a 64-bit Office Professional Plus 2013 .msp file. However, you cannot import a 32-bit Microsoft Word 2013 stand-alone customization .msp file into the 64-bit OCT for a 64-bit Office Professional Plus 2013 .msp file; doing so is prevented and displays an error message.)

3. Yes, we can do that, but please note the /adminfile command-line option can be used only during initial installation of the product.

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Ian Burnell Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:43 AM
    Tuesday, April 09, 2013 2:19 AM

All replies

• To answer your questions:

1. As I know the sub-folder for x64 is only available for retail install sources. For volume users, there are independent install source for both x86 and x64 editions of Office.

2. Yes, we need to create 2 MSP file one for x86 and one for x64, but we only need to create either one of them, and import it into another one. (Importing customization .msp files is intended for equivalent cross-architecture products only. You can import a 32-bit Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 customization .msp file into the 64-bit version of the OCT for a 64-bit Office Professional Plus 2013 .msp file. However, you cannot import a 32-bit Microsoft Word 2013 stand-alone customization .msp file into the 64-bit OCT for a 64-bit Office Professional Plus 2013 .msp file; doing so is prevented and displays an error message.)

3. Yes, we can do that, but please note the /adminfile command-line option can be used only during initial installation of the product.

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Ian Burnell Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:43 AM
    Tuesday, April 09, 2013 2:19 AM
  • Thanks - I am using the TechNet copy in a lab purely to test. There are separate versions for X86 and X64. Looking at some other threads it appears for backwards compatibility it is still recommended to use the X86 version regardless of whether client is X64 or 86 so that's fine.

Having done this you can still place multiple .MSP files in the root and call via setup.exe /adminfile xxx.MSP

Ian Burnell, London (UK)

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:45 AM