none
Outlook 2010 - emails disappearing

Question

• A few days ago i installed Office 2010 on my Windows 7 laptop, replacing Office 2007.

All seemed well and Outlook retrieved emails from my pair of Pop mail servers.

Then i noticed an email appear in my Inbox, only disappear a second later. This has since happened 3 or 4 more times that i have observed. I've searched within Outlook (junk and deleted included) without success. I now have retain on server enabled so that i can use webmail and see the emails - they do not download again.

Any suggestions?

Friday, September 03, 2010 2:32 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the suggestions, I currently suspect Kaspersky Internet Security 2011. I had previously paused Mail Anti-Virus but with no effect, however since disabling AntiSpam I have not detected any losses of emails.

Kaspersky report a known issue with this component (http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208282272) and I am pursuing with them.

Martin

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, September 17, 2010 9:24 AM
    Wednesday, September 08, 2010 1:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There are 3 common scenarios in which this could happen.

To change or reset your view use;

Change view; tab View-> button Change View-> Compact (and optionally set the Arrangement to Date)

Reset view; tab View-> button Reset View 

To verify/change your default delivery location;

File-> section Info-> button Accounts Settings-> Account Settings…-> tab Data Files-> select the Exchange mailbox-> button Set As Default

Additionally, on the E-mail tab, select the Exchange account and verify that your delivery location is set to the correct mailbox.

Third party add-ins

If you have such an add-in installed, you should check their settings to see what they do with the emails; move it to another folder,

delete it directly or move it to some storage/quarantine location of their own. You can consult the vendor of the add-in which options are available to you.

Regards,

Harry Yuan

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 9:32 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions, I currently suspect Kaspersky Internet Security 2011. I had previously paused Mail Anti-Virus but with no effect, however since disabling AntiSpam I have not detected any losses of emails.

Kaspersky report a known issue with this component (http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208282272) and I am pursuing with them.

Martin

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, September 17, 2010 9:24 AM
    Wednesday, September 08, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Odd, I have a very similar probelm going on and it's not related to third party software.

The scinario is I have an email in my inbox, it can sit there for days but if I read it or stay on it for nay length of time it suddenly disapears without a trace. Not in deleteed, junk or any other folder. The strange thing is I beleive it also deletes any replys that were made to that email as well.

Very disterbing and frustrating.

I'm running Outllook 2010 on Win 7 Pro 64bit connected to Exchange 2007 on a SBS 2008

Friday, March 18, 2011 2:31 PM
  • This is happening to us too, but only on our boss's computer (and laptop and cellphone). I'm perplexed by this ordeal, and he's irate to have lost all his inbox items every day for over a week now. his home pc isn't losing messages, but is generating some kind of proxy error since we updated our exchange and web certificates last week.

He's running Outlook 2010 on his desktop (XPSP3) and Outlook 2010 on his laptop (XPSP3) and Outlook 2010 on his home pc (XPSP3). he's also got an android phone which syncs to Exchange. the server is running Exchange 2007 SP3. 

the rules in Outlook on his work pc are clear
    the views in Outlook on his work pc are clear
    the OST on his work pc has been checked for corruption
    the antivirus is MSE on his work pc and home pc and laptop and Sophos on the mail server
    the spam filtering doesn't work that well, but is enabled on the exchange server AND disabled on his work PC. it has run out of places to add new email addresses. 
    I'm not sure why there's such a limited numbers of addresses for spammers when there are so many spammers out there. 

my boss refuses to let me take a look on his home pc but it may be using pop3/smtp settings but that's my first instinct since I've been dorking around in exchange forums all week.

Monday, April 11, 2011 9:53 PM
  • I have the exact same problem. Where you able to solve it?
    Sunday, June 23, 2013 6:09 PM
  • Nope, still happening to me. No one has ever posed an solutuion so I just deal with lost data
    Sunday, June 23, 2013 6:36 PM
  • I too have the same problem, I noticed one good email disappeared out of one folder whilst I deleted another junk email in another folder. Perhaps this is a clue on how to fix this? 

Any ideas?

Friday, September 20, 2013 12:35 PM
  • I have much the same problem (Outlook 2010, Windows 7 Home Premium, Kaspersky anti virus)  -  emails, which are not spam, show as Headers, then disappear when I download the body of the email from the server.  This does not happen often, (spam still appears) but I noticed it today when an important email showed as Header and then disappeared when I downloaded the content.

Searching every Folder turned up all sorts of forgotten projects, but not that email.  Whatever this is, it is a bit random  - I phoned my contact and got him to forward the email. It immediately arrived and displayed exactly as I expected, so it cannot be that Outlook is simply set to redirect emails to some hidden file (there is Microsoft Help that describes this and how to fix it - but this is not my problem).  It is not, however, a one-off - I have been watching my Inbox very closely this afternoon and have seen it happen again with an email from a completely different source (this time an unimportant one). Scary!

Monday, September 30, 2013 3:44 PM
  • I have the same problem.  Today three messages from the same person were not there, but they were in Outlook on a different computer.  This problem has caused me to miss important emails.  I may have to drop Outlook if this does not get resolved or go back to Office 2003.  Any solution would be embraced!
    Saturday, February 01, 2014 2:16 AM