none
how to open an autorecovery file

Question

• hello everyone

I have actualy found my autorecovery file in documents and settings. but the file is not opening. it says "Microsoft Office cannot open this file because it is an unsupported file type". Can anyone please tell me if there is a way to open such a document?

Please help Sad
    Ilwaan
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I am having the same problem. I was able to open the file with Notepad. You will get strange characters but you can copy and paste your text you want in a word document, then format it..

Hope this helps at least until we find an answer.

Friday, November 14, 2008 6:17 PM
  • thanks. but its been a long time now. no one gave me any ideas in time so i did all my work all over again... but thanks anyway i'll try it if it ever happens again
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 2:29 AM
  • Force Word to try to recover a file

If Word did not create a backup copy of the document, you might be able to use the AutoRecover feature to recover the lost document.

Note The AutoRecover feature in Word performs an emergency backup of open documents when an error occurs. Some errors can interfere with creating an AutoRecover file. The AutoRecover feature is not a substitute for saving the document.

If the Save AutoRecover information every [] minutes option is selected, Word creates a temporary AutoRecover file that includes the latest changes in the document. Every time that Word starts, it searches for AutoRecover files. If Word finds any AutoRecover files, it displays the files that it finds in the Document Recovery task pane.

First, to see whether the Save AutoRecover information every [] minutes option is selected, use one of the following steps:
    • If you use Word 2007: Click the Microsoft Office Button, click Word Options, and then click Save. The Save AutoRecover information every [] minutes option is in the Save documents section.
    • If you use Word 2003: Click Options on the Tools menu. The Save AutoRecover information every [] minutes option is located on the Save tab.
    Then, if the Save AutoRecover information every [] minutes option is selected, try closing Word and reopening it. If the AutoRecover task pane appears on the left side of the screen, click the lost document to restore it.

If the Save AutoRecover information every [] minutes option is not selected, you can try to force Word to recover the document.

Use one of the following steps to force Word to recover the document:
    • If you use Word 2007: Click the Microsoft Office Button, click Open, select the Word document, click the down arrow on the Open button in the lower-right corner of the Open screen, and then click Open and Repair.
    • If you use Word 2003: Click Open on the File menu, select the Word document, click the down arrow on the Open button in the lower-right corner of the Open screen, and then click Open and Repair.

It is to late, but it's bater later than never!
    Friday, November 21, 2008 12:12 AM
  • thank you so much. i'm sure that piece of information will come in handy sooner or later  who knows ..lol

Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:29 AM
  • I think this is the portion that of MSerges copy-paste that you should look for...

Use one of the following steps to force Word to recover the document:
    • If you use Word 2007: Click the Microsoft Office Button, click Open, select the Word document, click the down arrow on the Open button in the lower-right corner of the Open screen, and then click Open and Repair.
    • If you use Word 2003: Click Open on the File menu, select the Word document, click the down arrow on the Open button in the lower-right corner of theOpen screen, and then click Open and Repair.

If the file itself is suggesting Japenise or any weird characters, this would indicate that the Autorecovery may have triggered the freeze and had not fully completed the save of the document causing data corruption. So possibly a hardware fault, most likely on the RAM or Hard Drive during the autorecovery save. 

But if this happens and there are no other backups of the document you just worked on, you're SOL and remember to save offen so your hard work on your documents don't go to waste.
    Monday, April 06, 2009 8:50 PM
  • Omg, it worked.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I LOVE YOU!!!

Sunday, November 25, 2012 9:58 PM