none
Feature Request: Keyboard shortcuts for Zoom in/out

General discussion

• One of the best new features of recent versions of Internet Explorer is the ability to do full-page zoom using [CTRL] + [Mouse Scroll Wheel] or [CTRL] + [+] or [-].

PLEASE consider adding [CTRL] + [+] or [-] zoom in/out capability for all us laptops users without mouse scroll-wheels.

Richard Turner www.bitcrazed.com
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:57 PM

All replies

• On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 18:57:44 +0000, Richard Turner [BitCrazed] wrote:

One of the best new features of recent versions of Internet Explorer is the ability to do full-page zoom using [CTRL] + [Mouse Scroll Wheel] or [CTRL] + [+] or [-].

PLEASE consider adding [CTRL] + [+] or [-] zoom in/out capability for all us laptops users without mouse scroll-wheels.

You can set this up for yourself. First add these macros to a module in your
    Normal.dot template (or Normal.dotm for Word 2007 or 2010):

Sub ZoomIn()
        If ActiveWindow.View.Zoom < 450 Then
            ActiveWindow.View.Zoom = ActiveWindow.View.Zoom + 10
        End If
    End Sub

Sub ZoomOut()
        If ActiveWindow.View.Zoom > 20 Then
            ActiveWindow.View.Zoom = ActiveWindow.View.Zoom - 10
        End If
    End Sub

Then go to the Customize Keyboard dialog and assign the Ctrl+[+] shortcut to
    the ZoomIn macro, and Ctrl+[-] to the ZoomOut macro.

The macros change the zoom by 10% with each press of the shortcut. If you want
    a larger or smaller increment, change the number 10 in each macro.

Jay Freedman
    MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:31 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion Jay. I've used similar techniques in the past, but it's a PITA to have to carry such scripts forward across all the machines under one's control ... and harder still to make these changes consistenly in environments where one does not have full control.

I still believe that such a fundamental feature as document zooming, which warranted a new UI (slider) element, deserves an appropriate keyboard shortcut that's consistent with other popular apps such as IE.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:00 AM
  • You dont even have to do that.  You can just hold down CTRL and scroll anywhere and it will zoom in and out.  You can do it in any window, in any program and it will work.  I think it is a feature of windows, not of the individual programs.

Or get a wireless mouse with a scroll wheel for your laptop.

• Edited by _lhart_ Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:48 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:48 PM
  • How do I scroll on a laptop without a mouse?

Every time I have to take my hands off my keyboard, I lose productivity.

There are many of us who enjoy a significant productivity boost from learning keyboard shortcuts for many of the most frequently performed actions (especially in Ribbonized UI such as Office 2007+ and Windows 8). Not having the ability to zoom in & out via keyboard shortcuts (consistent with other popular apps/experiences) is a hindrance and VERY annoying once you've tried [CTRL] + [+] or [-] in IE/Chrome/FF/etc.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 11:20 PM
  • Richard Turner [Bitcrazed] wrote:

How do I scroll on a laptop without a mouse?

That depends on what you have instead of a mouse. You can certainly scroll with a touchpad.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 11:48 PM
  • That depends on what you have instead of a mouse. You can certainly scroll with a touchpad. Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

But not with most pen tablets. And touchpads are a PITA for scrolling too if you want to keep your hands on the keyboard. And so on. Honestly, it's becoming almost as standard a set of shortcuts as Ctrl-X/C/V these days -- what's so hard about including it that it eludes the Office devs? It's a trivial addition that would make a lot of users happy.

Friday, May 17, 2013 10:15 AM
  • What David said.

IE Chrome, etc. support font-zooming with [CTRL] + [+]/[-]. Visual Studio now also supports font-zooming albeit with [CTRL] + [<]/[>] (grrr).

It'd be AWESOME if Office were to recognize that people are now using a wider variety of screen sizes @ different DPI levels and that zooming in using a consistent keyboard key chord would be enormously valuable to many users. For example:

I have a Sony Vaio Z Series which doesn't support pinch-zoom.

I also have a MacBook Pro running Win8 which does support pinch-zoom.

Don't forget my SurfaceRT with a trackpad that also supports pinch-zoom, albeit in a very small area. And like my Samsung Series7 slate, both have touch-screens so I can pinch-zoom, but once again I am taking my hands off the keyboard and losing productivity.

Friday, May 17, 2013 5:20 PM
  • Dude! thanks so much. I've been wanting this for two or three years now. All other applications that I use do it by default, so I'm constantly trying to zoom but instead I'm typing random symbols. :o)
    Thursday, January 02, 2014 9:26 PM