none
Microsoft Word 2010 not responding

Question

• I have already read the above topics and they are not fixing my problem. I can't finish typing a sentence in this 2010 profession office version of word before it stops responding and never comes back. I literally cannot use this program. I have a new computer with minimal programs installed, I not the problem is with word. what can I do to fix it.

I should call my screen name: frustrated.

• Moved by Sally Tang Monday, October 25, 2010 7:43 AM (From:Outlook IT Pro Discussions)
    Friday, October 22, 2010 8:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There are several factors that may cause this issue, such as corrupted Word components, software conflicts, etc.

First, we can test this issue by starting Word with /a switch.

You can use the /a switch to start Word 2010 by using only the default settings in Word 2010. When you use the /a switch, Word does not load any add-ins. Additionally, Word 2010 does not use your existing Normal.dotm template. Restart Word 2010 by using the /a switch.

In Windows Vista and Windows 7

1.       Click Start

2.       In the Start Search box, type the following text, and then press ENTER:
    "%programfiles%\microsoft office\office14\winword.exe" /a

In Windows XP

1.       Click Start, and then click Run.

2.       In the Open box, type the following text, and then press ENTER:

If this issue does not occur when starting Word using /a switch, we can try to rename the Word Global Template:

1.       Exit all Office programs.

2.       Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

Note: If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, click Start, in the Search box, type command prompt. right click on command prompt and choose run as administrator.

1.       Type the following command, as appropriate for the version of Word that you are running, and then press ENTER:

ren %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dotm OldNormal.dotm

1.       Type exit, and then press ENTER.

For more troubleshooting methods, you can also refer to this KB article:

How to troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or use Word 2007, Word 2003, or Word 2002

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:52 AM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:37 AM

All replies

• This forum is for Outlook issues.  You might want to post this in the Word forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/word/threads

Tim Harrington - Catapult Systems - http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com
    Friday, October 22, 2010 8:51 PM
  • Hi,

There are several factors that may cause this issue, such as corrupted Word components, software conflicts, etc.

First, we can test this issue by starting Word with /a switch.

You can use the /a switch to start Word 2010 by using only the default settings in Word 2010. When you use the /a switch, Word does not load any add-ins. Additionally, Word 2010 does not use your existing Normal.dotm template. Restart Word 2010 by using the /a switch.

In Windows Vista and Windows 7

1.       Click Start

2.       In the Start Search box, type the following text, and then press ENTER:

In Windows XP

1.       Click Start, and then click Run.

2.       In the Open box, type the following text, and then press ENTER:

If this issue does not occur when starting Word using /a switch, we can try to rename the Word Global Template:

1.       Exit all Office programs.

2.       Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

Note: If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, click Start, in the Search box, type command prompt. right click on command prompt and choose run as administrator.

1.       Type the following command, as appropriate for the version of Word that you are running, and then press ENTER:

ren %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dotm OldNormal.dotm

1.       Type exit, and then press ENTER.

For more troubleshooting methods, you can also refer to this KB article:

How to troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or use Word 2007, Word 2003, or Word 2002

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:52 AM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:37 AM