none
documents with color on the print preview come out as black and white in microsoft office 2010

Question

• I have Microsoft Office 2010 and Windows 7.  When I create a document with color (and it print previews color in the document) it prints as black and white.

I know it is NOT a printer/driver issue.  Other software programs print in color just fine.  I haven't found an answer to this issue yet as I explore for it.

I have an older laptop with Office 2007 and have had to use that to print the exact same document in order for it to print in color!

• Moved by Marc Madrid-MSFT Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:29 PM in the wrong forum (From:Microsoft Online Services Customer Portal)
    • Moved by Juke ChouMicrosoft contingent staff Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:06 AM It is an Office issue. (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:15 PM

All replies

• Same problem here.

A color document in Excel 2010 previews in grayscale and obviously prints in grayscale. A color document in Word 2010 previews in color but still prints in grayscale. A PDF-document previews in color and prints in color. I am printing to a Xerox 6180MFP-D using a PostScript driver for that model.

However, changing the printer driver to PCL6 instead of PS solves the problem and all previews and prints for color documents work as they should. So it seems the issue is with Office 2010 and PostScript drivers?

Are you using a PostScript driver, irish84?

Monday, March 07, 2011 2:51 PM
  • I have the same problem printing with a Xerox Phaser 8400 DX; prints in grayscale, not color.  Is there any solution?
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:06 PM
  • Weird this because sombodys just asked me this question

if they create a document in word 2010 and it has a bit of colour in, the print preview shows it in all its glory, But as the printer is set to Black and White is comes out in TADAAA black and white.

You would have though whatever the printer is set to, print preview would reflect this, Anybody know if thats the case, or is what word presents you totally independant to what its printing to ?

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 10:45 AM
  • I, too, am using Windows 7 Enterprise with Excel 2010.  All documents with color preview in color and most print in color (HP CL 4600 HDN).  One document which I received with color previews and prints in color; but my edited version where I added some additional fill, borders, and changed column sizes previews in color but prints in grayscale.  I had someone else print it and it still prints in gray.  Nothing I did SHOULD have made it print in all gray.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:44 PM
  • As a last ditch effort, I mentally reviewed the changes I had made.  As mentioned earlier, I added some fill, but the file had some dark colored fill when I received it.  These had black or automatic print and I changed these to white... At least I thought it was white.

SOLUTION:  When I selected all cells, format cells, and set the font color back to "Automatic"; it started printing in color. 

ISSUES:  Why do they call the font color "Automatic" when it always prints in black font?  You would think with a name like "Automatic" when the background was black the font would "Automatically" change to an alternate (white) so it could be read.  Of course, black font and black (and dark) fill becomes unreadable.

WORK-AROUND:  For the black and dark fill cells, change the font to a very (VERY>>>) light gray.  This is perceived by the program as a legitimate color (vs. "White", which it interprets as "Nothing") and prints correctly as previewed.

• Proposed as answer by .dt Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:57 PM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:57 PM
  • We're having the same issue on ALL (approximately 100) of our new computers. In print preview images are in color but print in black and white. The only way we've found to fix the issue is to increase the brightness to 52% on each image. This issue is effects ALL microsoft programs in the Office 2010 Pro Suite.

I see that the post to moved to a different forum. It would be nice to be able to click on the article to actually take you to the new location of the article from here.

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 11:14 AM