none
Outlook 2007 - What Happens To Emails Filed In Outlook When Change POP3 Accounts To IMAP?

Question

• I have a self-employed customer who currently has two email accounts from his own domain set up as POP3 in Outlook 2007. He has a lot of emails that have come in on the two accounts stored in his Outlook 2007 in folders he has created.

He has asked me about changing both email accounts from POP3 to IMAP in Outlook (his domain host supports IMAP), so that his email folders are mirrored on the email server.

I'm not sure what will happen re the email folders he has created if he does change to IMAP because they contain a mixture of email from both accounts.

Can anyone advise on this or any other potential problems changing from POP3 to IMAP?

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:39 PM

Answers

• Hi

If you are concerned about the newly created folders in POp3 account.

Create a New IMAP account - Add the pst file, that is used in POP3, move the email contents with the folder from pst to Online mailbox.

Inform if any doubt.

• Marked as answer by MalcH Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:59 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:02 AM
  • Hi,

The disadvantage is IMAP keeps a copy of everything you do on the server. It will take up more space.

When you migrate from pop3 to IMAP you need EXPORT data from Outlook's POP3 profile to the Personal folder.

After you configure Outlook to connect to IMAP you need to OPEN your exported data from within your new IMAP profile.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:20 AM

All replies

• Hi

If you are concerned about the newly created folders in POp3 account.

Create a New IMAP account - Add the pst file, that is used in POP3, move the email contents with the folder from pst to Online mailbox.

Inform if any doubt.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:02 AM
  • Hi,

The disadvantage is IMAP keeps a copy of everything you do on the server. It will take up more space.

When you migrate from pop3 to IMAP you need EXPORT data from Outlook's POP3 profile to the Personal folder.

After you configure Outlook to connect to IMAP you need to OPEN your exported data from within your new IMAP profile.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:20 AM
  • Thank you both for responding.

There's something I'm still not clear about.

I think you're both saying that I should export his data to a PST, delete the two POP accounts, create two corresponding IMAP accounts, then import his data back into the same profile again. His email folders and their contents will then be back in his original Outlook 2007 profile but both email accounts will be setup as IMAP.

What I'm not clear about is how things will look and work on the server. I assume there will be an IMAP folder on the server for both email accounts which will mirror the folders in Outlook but in what way, i.e will both IMAP folders on the server replicate everything in Outlook? Or will each IMAP account on the server only contain emails from that particular email account?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:45 AM
  • Hi,

IMAP is only a protocol for connecting to the mailbox.

You just need drag and drop the folders from the Personal Folders(pst) to the IMAP mailbox folder structure. It will upload the subfolder and message to the mailbox.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:24 AM
  • Many thanks, we can close this one.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:59 PM