none
Excel files through network are very slow to open

Question

• Hi. In my network, my office files, special excel take a lot to open.

Imagine a excel file with 50mb, it takes more then one minut to open.

If I copy the file to the disk, it's instantaneally, takes less then one second to copy. 

If I open the file from local HDD it's also very fast.

What can I do?

I tried with Windowx XP, Windows 7, Windows Vista and in all, with office versions: 2003 & 2007

Network speed is 1GB, dual core pcs with at least 1 gb of ram.

Is there a solution?

Regards,
    Marco

Sunday, January 02, 2011 11:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue might be related to many factors, both the hardware and the software.

At this time, I suggest trying the following:

• Check another network path
    • Start Excel in safe mode. Press the ctrl key when you start the Excel program. If it is quicker, it might be related to the add-ins.
    • Check in clean boot mode:
    • How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    • Scan your system for viruses

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by MPSilva Tuesday, January 04, 2011 9:32 AM
    Tuesday, January 04, 2011 6:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue might be related to many factors, both the hardware and the software.

At this time, I suggest trying the following:

• Check another network path
    • Start Excel in safe mode. Press the ctrl key when you start the Excel program. If it is quicker, it might be related to the add-ins.
    • Check in clean boot mode:
    • How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    • Scan your system for viruses

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by MPSilva Tuesday, January 04, 2011 9:32 AM
    Tuesday, January 04, 2011 6:41 AM
  • Hi,

It's a little bit better. I think that the problem is also the way that the file is builted.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
    Marco

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 9:32 AM
  • Sally,

I am having the same issue and cant not get anything over 100 KB to open with speed over the network.  I have tried to open Excel in sae mode with no luck.  I am running Win Xp and both Office and my System are up to date. I have rebooted my servers, switches, and machines with no luck.  Any help would be great.

Monday, August 15, 2011 11:24 AM
  • All,

I have found something that works.  Read the following article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc976337.aspx.

However I need to figure out an easier fix as this one requires a change to the Registry.  However I found that in this post the path is not correct.  You need HKCU>Software>Micrsoft>Office>11.0

This take but a second but since I do not have any way to push this out to my machines at the moment I need to hit each user instead of each machine (Sigh).

• Proposed as answer by ttmays Wednesday, January 04, 2012 5:33 PM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 3:08 PM
  • hello ttmays,

Can you help clarify this fix for me? I am trying to figure out why openining excel files over the network can get slow, even though the size of these files are only 200K at best.

I looked at the article but i dont quite understnad what i need to change. can you let me know?

Friday, February 24, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Raphman02

The link that I posted earlier is off.  Read this one http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2501584.  I discovered in my network that the MS Office File Validation Patch made excel crawl when opening over the network though nothing else changed. At the time I was opening Excel on Office 2003.

You can manually turn this off by editing the registry and tunring it off.  Going forward I skipped the patch to keep my sanity.  Not sure if this is the same as your issue, but the support article will go into detail how to either have Fix it clear the issue or change the proper registry keys.

Hope this helps

• Proposed as answer by ttmays Monday, March 19, 2012 11:54 AM
    • Edited by ttmays Monday, March 19, 2012 11:55 AM
    Monday, March 05, 2012 7:41 PM
  • A user on our domain was using Office 2010 on Windows XP. She had a mapped network drive that was old, and the network location didn't exist anymore. As soon as I removed the broken mapped drive path Excel loaded files very quick.
    • Edited by DanMedcalf Friday, March 07, 2014 7:51 PM edit
    Friday, March 07, 2014 7:50 PM