none
"The Microsoft Exchange Administrator has made a change that requires you quit and restart Outlook"

Question

• We're running Exchange 2003 with a mix of Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 clients.

I recently had an end user ask my why the message with the following message popped up on his computer (Outlook 2007/Windows 7) "The Microsoft Exchange Administrator has made a change that requires you quit and restart Outlook."  I know that this message can appear if the user's mailbox has been moved to a different mailbox store or mailbox server, but that was certainly not the case here -- the mailbox was not moved or modified in anyway that I can identify.

What triggers Outlook to display this message other than a mailbox move?  Or, maybe another question to ask would be - when a mailbox is moved in Outlook, what is actually happening to trigger Outlook to display this message? 

There is a thread with a similar question here in the forums  (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvradmin/thread/d2199b2e-2adb-4ff4-9ded-abb8b4f187b6) however no answers have been posted.

Thank you.

-Greg

Tuesday, June 01, 2010 2:29 PM

Answers

• Thank you for the response Jennifer.  The error is gone after the user clicked OK and has not come back up since. 

I'm hoping to find out what in Outlook 2007 triggers this message other than moving a mailbox.

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 8:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Greg,

If you are sure that user's mailbox has not been moved, you can try to repair OST file to see if this error goes away.

To scan and repair the .ost file

1. Close Outlook.
    2. On the Start menu, click Run.
    3. In the Open box, type

drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\LocaleID\scanost.exe

where LocaleID is the locale identifier (LCID) for your installation of Microsoft Office. For example, the LCID for English (United States) is 1033. For a list of LCIDs, see Microsoft Office Help.

4. Click OK.
    5. Click either Scan all folders or Choose folder to scan. If you click Scan all folders, this may take several minutes.
    6. Select the Repair errors check box.
    7. Click Begin Scan.

Details of actions performed during the scan and repair are saved as a message in your Outlook Deleted Items folder with the subject "OST Integrity Check."

If the Offline Folder file cannot be repaired, you can disable it and create a new one.

1. On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts, click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.
    2. In the list, click Microsoft Exchange Server, and then click Change.
    3. Click More Settings.
    4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Offline Folder File Settings.
    5. Click Disable Offline Use.
    6. In the File box, type the path to the file you want to use as the new .ost file. The default file name is outlook.ost. If this file name already exists, you are prompted for a new name.
    Wednesday, June 02, 2010 5:35 AM
  • Thank you for the response Jennifer.  The error is gone after the user clicked OK and has not come back up since. 

I'm hoping to find out what in Outlook 2007 triggers this message other than moving a mailbox.

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 8:04 PM
  • Glad to hear your issue has been fixed.
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 3:10 AM