none
503 This email server requires authentication

Question

• I have a supplier that cannot send email to me. When they send an email message they receive an undeliverable email message that says:

There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.

<My_Supplier's_Domain.com #5.5.0 smtp;503 This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address. Please check your mail client settings or contact your administrator to verify that the domain or address is defined for this server.>

I'm using an Exchange 2007 server running on Windows Server 2008. I receive email from other people at other companies.

Is this a problem with my Exchange 2007 server settings or is it a problem with my supplier's mail server? What can be done to resolve this problem?

Thursday, February 04, 2010 6:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Is the supplier used your Exchange server to relay the email when sending the external email?

If it is, please try the below article:
    http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/12/28/432013.aspx

If not, this is the issue of the supplier's mailbox server. Please ensure the supplier's mailbox server has the permission to allow themself send the outbound email.

Thanks

Allen
    • Marked as answer by Allen Song Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:58 AM
    Monday, February 08, 2010 5:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is the supplier used your Exchange server to relay the email when sending the external email?

If it is, please try the below article:
    http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/12/28/432013.aspx

If not, this is the issue of the supplier's mailbox server. Please ensure the supplier's mailbox server has the permission to allow themself send the outbound email.

Thanks

Allen
    • Marked as answer by Allen Song Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:58 AM
    Monday, February 08, 2010 5:33 AM
  • Hi,

Any update on this issue?

Thanks

Allen
    Friday, February 12, 2010 2:02 AM
  • Allen

I am having a similar issue.  Mail server is exchange 2003 and can send out to most people.  We just recieved thisDNR that says.

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

Mitch Tobol (mtobol@cgtllc.net) on 3/1/2012 2:46 PM

There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server.  Please contact your system administrator.

<nydc1.ICCLogistics.com #5.5.0 smtp;503 This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address. Please check your mail client settings or contact your administrator to verify that the domain or address is defined for this server.>

Our mail server is NYDC1.ICCLOGISTICS.COM and mostly can send with out issue to all others. 

Y

our comments would be appreciated

Thursday, March 01, 2012 9:05 PM
  • Hi,

Advise your supplier to create a send connector in his exchange server with Enable Domain Security (Mutual Auth TLS) for your domain.

or

You can uncheck from your server " Enable Domain Security (Mutual Auth TLS).

This is worked for me. Hope it will work for your suppliers too.

Thanks

Shah Newaj

Mohammed Shah Newaj

Saturday, April 12, 2014 12:13 PM