none
Recurring meeting updates from Lotus Domino server to Outlook 2003

Question

• Hi There,

One of my users with Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2007 receives recurring meeting updates from a Lotus Domino user in another organization. The request comes in as an email with an attachment of "not supported calendar message.ics". When she opens up the attachment, she can only see the first occurance of the meeting, and is able to update only that first one. However, there are multiple other accurances, and she misses the updates to those except the first one in her Outlook calendar.

Do you have any solution for that?

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 7:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:48 AM
  • Hi,

Do you have any Outlook 2007 or later clients you can reproduce the issue from?

What happens when you receive\open the Lotus' sent Meeting Request in Outlook Web Access?

Last, but not least, what version\build of Exchange 2007 are you receiving the meetings on? --SP and RU.

I've seen other posts make the comment that their Outlook 2003 clients don't see the error but their Outlook 2007 users do, so I am wondering why you scenario is different?

For your reference, here is one of the posts: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/33430629/error-not-supported-calendar-messageics-on-lotus-notes-appointm.aspx

So, it seems like this is either a Server or a client issue. If we can narrow things down some more, I'll hopefully be able to suggest a course of action that will get you moving towards a resolution.

Take care and I hope you have a great weekend!

Jahawk MSFT

Saturday, January 15, 2011 1:04 AM
  • Hi Jahawk,

I will try to reply all of your questions.

1)      I have tested it with Outlook 2010, where it even could not open up the .ics attachment. Instead, it says “ the file “not supported calendar message.ics” is not a valid Internet Calendar file.”

So, as summary, Outlook 2003 is able to open up that attachment, but it only sees the first occurrence of recurring meeting. On the other hand, Outlook 2010 cannot event open up the attachment in the first place.

Please note that even though Outlook 2003 seems to be opening up the attachment, this is not enough for me since the original meeting is a recurring meeting , but Outlook 2003 does not notice it and sees only the first occurrence date.

2)      The message is seen as regular email with an attachment in OWA, And when I tried to open it up in OWA, it only allows me to download and save the attachment locally on my computer.

3)      My Exchange version is 8.3 build 83.6, in other words Exchange 2007 with SP3

4)      As I mentioned in (1) above, although Outlook 2003 opens up the attachment without any complain, it does not see it as a recurring meeting. Actually, the original calendar update from Lotus Notes, was indeed an update to a recurring meeting!

Thanks!

Monday, January 17, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Hi!

My suggestion would be to call in an open a support incident with our Exchange 2007 team, since the ics file is not working properly in any mail client.

Make sure to give them the error you are seeing in Outlook 2010:

“not supported calendar message.ics” is not a valid Internet Calendar file.”

This article should als help to describe the issue: http://www.outlookforums.com/showthread.php?37530-Error-quot-not-supported-calendar-message.ics-quot-on-Lotus-Notes

Lastly, to set your expectations, you'll probably be working with our Exchange 2007 Connectors team.

Please visit the following link for details on the various support options available to you: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Hope that helps!

Jahawk MSFT

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:01 AM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 10:57 PM