none
Outlook 2010 IMAP data file

Question

• IMAP syncs with the server, right. For this reason it's able to set a default IMAP account to use a data file Outlook, .pst file. Ok.... But using IMAP automaticlly Outlook creates someking of temp pst file with the e-mail at server and the location of this file is application folder in the user profile. My user profile is at drive C and at the moment I can't change it to another drive and I'd like to change the location of this "temp pst" to another drive because my drive C is running out of space.

Summarizing, Is it possible to change the default localtion of the temp pst file create by Outlook to help manage the e-mail at an IMAP account? If is not able is there any way to do this?

Monday, April 04, 2011 6:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

Please refer to the thread below, it’s a solved issue, and I will have this thread closed.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/outlook/thread/a427d233-d4b9-4d60-96be-ae6c21eff191 

We can add the ForcePSTPath string value to the registry by the steps below:

===============

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Quit Outlook.
    In Windows XP, click Start, and then click Run. Type regedit, and then click OK.

In Windows Vista/Windows 7, click Start, in the Search box, type regedit, and then click OK.
     Locate and then select the following subkey in the registry.

Outlook 2007

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook

Outlook 2010

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook
     With the Outlook subkey selected in step 4, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click String Value.
     Type ForcePSTPath, and then press ENTER.
    With the ForcePSTPath string value selected, click Modify on the Edit menu.
    In the Value data text box, type the drive letter and the full path of the location that you want Outlook to use when it creates or opens a .pst file, and then click OK.

For more information, you can refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge base article:

How to change the default location that Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2002 uses to create or to open a personal folders (.pst) file

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883401/en-us

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Monday, April 11, 2011 7:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

Please refer to the thread below, it’s a solved issue, and I will have this thread closed.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/outlook/thread/a427d233-d4b9-4d60-96be-ae6c21eff191 

We can add the ForcePSTPath string value to the registry by the steps below:

===============

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Quit Outlook.
    In Windows XP, click Start, and then click Run. Type regedit, and then click OK.

In Windows Vista/Windows 7, click Start, in the Search box, type regedit, and then click OK.
     Locate and then select the following subkey in the registry.

Outlook 2007

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook

Outlook 2010

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook
     With the Outlook subkey selected in step 4, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click String Value.
     Type ForcePSTPath, and then press ENTER.
    With the ForcePSTPath string value selected, click Modify on the Edit menu.
    In the Value data text box, type the drive letter and the full path of the location that you want Outlook to use when it creates or opens a .pst file, and then click OK.

For more information, you can refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge base article:

How to change the default location that Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2002 uses to create or to open a personal folders (.pst) file

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883401/en-us

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Monday, April 11, 2011 7:06 AM
  • Many thanks Max

This did the trick for me. I now have the imap folder on a separate disk from C:

Sunday, April 17, 2011 9:23 PM