none
Opening New Window (Word, Outlook) Stays Minimized, Blinking in TaskBar

Question

• We are migrating to Office 2007, and have found the following. If we already have an existing word document open, minimized to the taskbar, and then we go to a web page and click on a url of a word document, then word icon on the taskbar starts to blink and stays that way, never opening the new window we clicked on, until we un-minimize the existing word icon already present on our taskbar. Once we maximize/open that window, the new window we clicked on opens immediately.

I have been told that the same thing also occurs in Outlook 2007, when we have an existing window (meeting, message, etc.) open. From what it looks like, it is only related to VBA code and/or clicking on a link. But if I double click on another file stored on my local pc or my network share, even though word is already minimized, it still opens the new document for me automatically, without me even having to do a thing.

I saw this was mentioned a while back as a problem with IE7 and Office 2003 after a hotfix. Our environment is Windows 7, IE8, and Office 2007.

Thanks,
    Reuv
    Monday, December 14, 2009 8:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Reuvy

I'm also having the same problem. Have you found any solution?

WinXP SP3, Office 2007 SP2 and IE 7

88miles

Monday, March 29, 2010 3:12 AM
  • Nada.
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 6:52 AM
  • I found a solution after much troubleshooting including uninstalling/reinstalling Office 2010 which didn't solve the issue. 

Here it is:

When Outlook or some other Office program is minimized in the taskbar and won't open, right click the taskbar to bring up task manager. 

Right click the program in the task manager list that is giving trouble and click Maximize.  You should now see a full screen.

This worked for me and solved the "open and stays minimized" delima.  Hope this helps you too.  Cheers :)

• Proposed as answer by Diana.Smith Friday, April 15, 2011 5:15 AM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 5:15 AM
  • I had this problem with Outlook 2010.  I did what you suggestd in task manager and it worked immediately....thank you!
    Friday, June 17, 2011 9:42 AM
  • Perfect!  Ive been trying to figure this one for a week now.  Thanks for the tip. 
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 3:29 PM
  • haha same here , my outlook 2010 stayed minimized tried new outlook profile and copy profile, but didnt help!

Your suggestion worked ! thanks

Monday, April 16, 2012 11:06 AM
  • Awesome! haha, oh well! Thankyou, I have been trying to do this operation for a long, long time. Very smart! Catherine
    Monday, June 04, 2012 7:18 PM
  • I found a solution after much troubleshooting including uninstalling/reinstalling Office 2010 which didn't solve the issue. 

Here it is:

When Outlook or some other Office program is minimized in the taskbar and won't open, right click the taskbar to bring up task manager. 

Right click the program in the task manager list that is giving trouble and click Maximize.  You should now see a full screen.

This worked for me and solved the "open and stays minimized" delima.  Hope this helps you too.  Cheers :)

Thanks a bunch this saved me a potential headache!

Friday, February 21, 2014 8:19 PM