none
Moving messages to hard drive?

Question

• Hello. Using Windows 7 and Outlook 2010.

As part of my daily duties at work, I move fax messages from shared folders in Outlook to a shared hard drive. When I drag the message from one folder to the other, it leaves a copy in Outlook, which I must then delete. Basically it accomplishes a copy & paste.

A technique I used with both Outlook 2003 & 2007 on Windows XP was to hold the 'shift' key down while moving the message. This deleted it from Outlook while moving it to the hard drive, so it was essentially a cut & paste rather than a copy & paste.

For some reason, this 'shift' key trick does not appear to work with Outlook 2010, and I can't imagine why. Is there a way to toggle this option on & off? Is there a different key combination I should be using? I've searched the help file, and the forums here, but can find no mention of this simple-but-helpful shortcut.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:15 AM

Answers

• Hello,

We can try disabling Outlook add-ins to see if it works.
    Does the issue follow on to new Windows Profiles ? Does it occur on any other machine with the same configuration of Windows + Office ?
    Have you tried installing Office 2010 Sp 1 ? Does that help ?

In case none of the above help then we would suggest you to open a case with us as this issue would require in-depth support.  Please visit the following link to see the various support options that are available to you:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone . This will help us address your issue more efficiently.

Please note that if the issue you are reporting is due to a code defect in Outlook, you will not be charged for support.

Best Regards,
    Nitish Karmakar [MSFT]

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 10:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Hi

Try dragging the message using the Right-Mouse Button. When you release the button, you should see a pop-up menu giving you the option to Move or Copy

Hope this helps!

Larry - MSFT
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Does not work in Outlook 2010 on Windows 7.
    Alexey Kuznetsov,
    Relief Software
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:45 PM
  • Hello Alexey,

Larry's steps do work on my computer I tested this on  Win 7 and Outlook 2010

1)) Hold the 'shift' key down and select messages by doing a right click.

2) Now move this to the destination folder. And release the right click.

When you do that you get the following menu with the options

Move / Copy / Cancel.

If it doesn't work then i would like to know the Outlook build version.

Best Regards,

Nitish Karmakar [MSFT]

Saturday, June 25, 2011 9:05 AM
  • Hello Nitish & Larry,

Unfortunately, it's still not working for me. When I move using the right-click, it makes no difference whether I click 'copy here' or 'move here', they both produce the same result: add a copy to the hard drive, but still leave a copy in Outlook which I must then go back and delete.

Per your request, the version is 14.0.5128.5000 (32-bit)

Thank you.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 6:36 AM
  • Hello,

We can try disabling Outlook add-ins to see if it works.
    Does the issue follow on to new Windows Profiles ? Does it occur on any other machine with the same configuration of Windows + Office ?
    Have you tried installing Office 2010 Sp 1 ? Does that help ?

In case none of the above help then we would suggest you to open a case with us as this issue would require in-depth support.  Please visit the following link to see the various support options that are available to you:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone . This will help us address your issue more efficiently.

Please note that if the issue you are reporting is due to a code defect in Outlook, you will not be charged for support.

Best Regards,
    Nitish Karmakar [MSFT]

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 10:09 AM
  • While the steps reproduce, the results don't; it always leaves a copy in Outlook. All previous versions of Outlook behaved the same way even in Safe Mode.

FWIW; my version number of Outlook is 14.0.6106.5000 and a pure SP1 client behaves the same way (14.0.6025.5000).

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Hello Robert,

It works at my end. I would suggest that we open a case so that this can be troubleshooted.

Best Regards,
    Nitish Karmakar [MSFT]

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:26 AM
  • Hello 

I have the same problem. Has this been investigated and what was the conclusion.

Thank you

Friday, June 15, 2012 7:01 AM
  • I have the same problem.  The moved message doesn't delete from the inbox.  I'm also using Outlook 2010 with Windows 7 Professionnal. 

I guess that what's happening when you ask people on the sidewalk to produce an operating system!!!

Thursday, July 12, 2012 4:20 PM
  • I have the same problem. No combination of right-clicking or the Shift key will actually MOVE the message as used to happen in Windows XP. Just got upgraded to a new Windows 7 PC at work two weeks ago. The first few days I blamed the new Dated (Conversations) view so I tried working without it, to no avail. Outlook 2010 14.0.6213.5001 (32-bit). This is a corporate setup so I am not comfortable with disabling any of the few (basic) add-ins that seem to be running.  
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:04 PM
  • i'm working on that, the main problem most probable is that i'm using some sort of microsoft exchange. that save the message on the server not on the local user profile, meaning there is something like user\appdata\roaming for the user inbox and other folder since we upgrade to 2010 the message dont move.
    Monday, March 03, 2014 4:35 PM