none
Office Customization Tools does not create new profile

Question

• We had previously deployed Office 2010 without installing Outlook.  We are in the process of getting ready to migrate from GroupWise to Outlook.  We wish to create a new profile for Outlook, retain the current GroupWise profile, and configure the user to be prompted for which profile to use.  That way they can still use GroupWise and Outlook.

I created an MSP file using the OCT from Office 2010 w/SP1, which includes settings for

"New Profile"

and also customizing the profile with account information of

Account Name:  %UserName%@company.com

User Name: %UserName%

Exchange Server: autodiscover.company.com

Overwrite existing Exchange accounts is checked.

When Office 2010 is installed using this msp file, no new profile is created.

Can anyone suggest why?

Oh also, should I include @company.com in the "User Name" field for exchange settings?

Thanks.

• Edited by adelatorre Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:28 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 3:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Since you plan to deploy Exchange account to Outlook, please first read the following article and then try again.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179062.aspx
    http://brothertu.blogspot.com/2010/05/automatic-configuration-of-outlook-2007.html

If it is still no working, better to export a prf file from OCT and post it here for further research. Especially for Section 1.

For example:
    ; **************************************************************
    ; Section 1 - Profile Defaults

[General]
    Custom=1
    ProfileName=new_new_new
    DefaultProfile=Yes
    OverwriteProfile=Yes
    ModifyDefaultProfileIfPresent=false

Feel free to post back. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:44 AM
  • I had already read the articles you cite. 

Can you tell me if when the MSP is configured to create a new profile, if that profile is created at install, or when the user first starts outlook?

I am doing the install with SCCM 2007, so I imagine the install is happening as user SYSTEM.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:15 PM
  • PRF is included in MSP package, but it will be loaded when Outlook startup. In another word, the Outlook profile would not been created until we first launch Outlook.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Friday, June 01, 2012 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Monday, June 04, 2012 10:25 AM
  • Hi,

I'm marking the reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days.
    If you come back and need more help, please reply to us and unmark the answer.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 10:17 AM
  • Hi,

I have a similar problem. Rather than open another thread, I thought I might tag along this one.

I am using SCCM 2007 OSD to deploy Win7 OS and Office 2010 as part of Task Sequence.

We have moved to Office 365 and as per helpful suggestions above, I have used OCT to created new Outlook profile with relevant parameters of user and server. I have used an existing user working profile to populate these details.

However, after starting outlook, I get the default profile.

Here is the sequence of events.

Outlooks splash screen opens, showing "Loading Profile".

After a few minute a dialogue box appears with the following message "The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action"

Upon clicking on OK button, another dialogue box called "Microsoft Exchange" appears with details of "Microsoft Exchange Server" and "mailbox", both of which are incorrect.

What I did was checked profile details using mail32 from control panel and it appears to be using the default profile, i.e. "Microsoft Exchange"

It looks like the new profile is not being added or is not overwriting the default.

Here is an extract of the outlook prf file that I exported to check.

; Section 1 - Profile Defaults

[General]
    Custom=1
    ProfileName=AMOutlookProfile
    DefaultProfile=Yes
    OverwriteProfile=Yes
    ModifyDefaultProfileIfPresent=false
    DefaultStore=Service1

; Section 2 - Services in Profile