none
Deploy Office 2013 - Uninstall Office 2010

Question

• Hello,

I am planing to deploy Office 2013 and created a MSP File (Setup /admin) for the silent Installation - everything works fine - except the uninstallation of Office 2010. In the OCT I´ve selected the Option to remove previous Versions of Office. I can remeber that this works perfect in Office 2010 to remove Office 2007 too.

But in Office 2013 this doesn´t work anymore, the installed applications wizard (appwiz.cpl) Shows both Version of Office are installed. What is the best way to remove the old Version silently and install Office 2013? I would like to have all in one "Application" deployed via SCCM 2012 SP1. 

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hello,

How many computers are affected? And what version of Office 2010 is installed?

Have you also checked the Office 2010 install folder? Can you still find Office 2010 applications there?

If the only application you find is Microsoft SharePoint Workspace 2010, that is because SharePoint Workspace is no longer include in Office 2013, so it won't be removed during the setup progress.

To workaround this:

1. Leave it there

2. Uninstall Office 2010 first, to do so, we can follow the instructions of the following blog article: 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/odsupport/archive/2011/04/06/how-to-perform-an-uninstall-upgrade-to-office-2010.aspx

The steps are wrriten for Office 2010, but we can also use it for Office 2013.

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:46 AM
  • Hi Max,

I am also in this boat and manually uninstalling Office 2010 prior to deploying Office 2013 is not an option for hundreds of computers.  Is there a command that can be placed in the Office 2013 Administrator MSP file to uninstall SharePoint 2010 Workspace from computers that automatically install Office 2013?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:03 PM
  • same problem, Office 2013 OCT doesn't fully uninstall office 2010.... leaves sharepoint workspace and a "Microsoft Office" folder in start menu? Any way to trigger a full uninstall prior to installing 2013 with OCT?

Monday, March 04, 2013 2:46 PM
  • I resolved this, in my case anyways
    We run the Office 2013 installs from a batch file, and mine looks like this:

"\\networkshare\Lync\LyncSetup.exe" /Silent /Uninstall     --- Removes Lync 2010 silently, because Office 2013 OCT doesnt remove this at all.
    "\\networkshare\Office 2013\32bit\setup.exe" /adminfile "\\networkshare\Office 2013\32bit\Config Files\Office13.MSP"   - Runs the config files that uninstall MOST of the Office 2010 Suite   
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\Office Setup Controller\setup.exe" /uninstall ProPlus /config "\\networkshare\Office 2013\Config.xml"  -Fully Removes the rest of the Office 2010 Suite
    exit

This is the context of the above XML file.

<Configuration Product="ProPlus">

<Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />
    <Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="Never" />

</Configuration>

Works like a champ, just did a deployment on 150 computers with no problem. Quite a hassle compared with the 07 to 2010 upgrade.

• Proposed as answer by Ben Drawbaugh Friday, April 05, 2013 1:10 PM
    Tuesday, March 05, 2013 9:10 PM
  • Hello,

I am planing to deploy Office 2013 and created a MSP File (Setup /admin) for the silent Installation - everything works fine - except the uninstallation of Office 2010. In the OCT I´ve selected the Option to remove previous Versions of Office. I can remeber that this works perfect in Office 2010 to remove Office 2007 too.

But in Office 2013 this doesn´t work anymore, the installed applications wizard (appwiz.cpl) Shows both Version of Office are installed. What is the best way to remove the old Version silently and install Office 2013? I would like to have all in one "Application" deployed via SCCM 2012 SP1. 

Please any one has an idea for the above problem...I'm having the same problem.

Thank you.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:42 PM
  • Thank you Benwess. This is the closest I got. unfortunately, I get "you don't have administrative privileges" to uninstall 2010 even though I am an administrator on the PC. It will be a headache to change permissions on the folder for all PCs in the organization.

I use Microsoft fixit to remove the rest of 2010, but not silently. I  cannot get the normal msi switches to work. If I use /qb or any other switch the msi will run but not remove anything. If I don't use switches then it works but I have to answer all questions.
    • Edited by SamShoa Friday, March 22, 2013 12:44 PM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 12:37 PM
  • Have you looked at this document, or it's online equivalents:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mssmallbiz/archive/2012/10/22/free-microsoft-ebook-deployment-guide-for-microsoft-office-2013.aspx

In the section "Setup command-line options for Office 2013", they say:

Runs Setup to remove the specified product from the users computer. Look up the value of [ProductID] in the Setup.xml file for the product that you want to modify.

Example

\\server\share\Office15\setup.exe /uninstall ProPlus

where:

• Office15 is the root of the network installation point.
    • ProPlus is the [ProductID] ([ProductID] is equal to the ID attribute of the Setup element listed in \\server\share\Office15\ProPlus.WW\setup.xml), where ProPlus.WW is the location of the Office Professional Plus 2013 installation files.

You can customize the /uninstall option by using it with /config and a modified Config.xml file. This is necessary if you want to run a silent uninstall. In enterprise deployments, we recommend that you run a silent uninstall to prevent prompting users to enter information, and to prevent the installation from waiting for user interactions, even when files are being used.

To run a silent uninstall

1. Using a text editor, edit the following element attributes in the \\server\share\Office15\ProPlus.WW\SilentUninstallConfig.xml file:

<Configuration Product="ProPlus"> <Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" /> </Configuration>

1. At the command line, use the following syntax:

\\server\share\Office15\setup.exe /uninstall ProPlus /config \\server\share\Office15\ProPlus.WW\SilentUninstallConfig.xml

note       Note:

In Office 2013, just as in Office 2010 and Office 2007, you cannot use the Setup.exe command line to set Windows Installer properties, such as PIDKEY or DISPLAY. Setup does not pass these properties to Windows Installer. Instead, you make these customizations by using the Office Customization Tool or Config.xml. For a complete list of Setup properties, including blocked and unsupported properties, see Setup properties in Office 2010. The information also applies to Office 2013.

Office Customization Tool (OCT) in Office 2013

Config.xml file in Office 2013

Monday, March 25, 2013 12:25 AM
  • This worked for me, but I had to modify it since I use SCCM. Here is the script I used for my upgrade.

LyncSetup.exe /Silent /Uninstall
    setup.exe /adminfile Image.msp
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\Office Setup Controller\setup.exe" /uninstall ProPlus /config %~dp0Config.xml

Obviously I had to include the LyncSetup.exe in my deployment package as well as the Config.xml that benwess posted.

Friday, April 05, 2013 1:12 PM
  • Take a look here, I've outlined the steps I took to uninstall Office 2010 prior to deploying Office 2013: http://community.office365.com/en-us/forums/172/p/169303/491964.aspx#491964

Shaun

Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:16 PM
  • Well for me these are all workarounds.

There is an option that says uninstall previous versions of office and it just doesn't work with some people (like me). I'm gonna search where i can file a bug report or something cause i would like it to be fixed.

Don't forget about Alt+Esc!

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:45 AM
  • I am also planning my deployment this way, however the problem that I can't seem to wrap my head around, is how to execute the script after hours when all of my users are logged off?

FYI - I don't have the option to use System Center or any other Microsoft Deployment Product unless it is free.

• Edited by AeroRadish Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:36 PM added more info
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:22 PM
  • We have discovered the same. A workaround that includes uninstalling Office 2010 prior or as a pre-requisite is ridiculous. I have thousands of users to perform the "normal" upgrade on and removing Office 2010 as a workaround is never a good solution. What about mail profiles and .OST files. I do not want to have users streaming their .OST files again because we remove Office 2010 and then ran an install for 2013.

This is a Microsoft product, they need to update the OCT  to include the additonal products that came with SP1...plain and simple.

It continually drives me crazy when the owner of the product expects the forums to deliver on a solution.

Just fix the OCT.

• Edited by Dave 2011 Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:31 PM
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:30 PM
  • Hi

When following the steps you have so generously provided, I find that during the uninstall process with the cleanup of 2010 the test user is prompted to click OK with the following message: 

"The /adminfile command-line option can be used only during initial installation of the product."

Any advice on how to proceed would be most appreciated.

Regards

Steve.

Regards Steve Rackham - www.siliconwolf.net

• Edited by Steve Rackham Wednesday, January 08, 2014 3:18 AM
    • Proposed as answer by B-Raj Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:00 PM
    Wednesday, January 08, 2014 3:17 AM
  • Check the instruction on this site. you willhave to edit .bat file to your needs.

http://marckean.wordpress.com/2013/06/18/fully-automate-removal-of-any-version-office-in-preparation-for-office-365/

Regards,

Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:01 PM