none
Viewing / Printing tif files has become very difficult with Windows 7 & Office 2010

Question

• We are in the process of upgrading from XP Pro w/ Office 2003 to Windows 7 w/ Office 2010.  One thing I have noticed is the inability to easily setup / view and/or print tif files in Windows 7 w/ Office 2010.

XP Pro w/ Office 2003 was a breeze using Document Imaging.  You can view / print multi-page tif files and select All or pages from: n to: n and our users were comfortable with this process and they use it EVERY day.

With an upgrade to Office 2010 the Microsoft Office Document Imaging app is gone, so my first thought was it must have been incorporated into the operating system and IF you have a scanner connected to your PC it is (kinda'), but if you don't then you're out of luck.  I personally use Windows Fax and Scan to convert xlsx files to tif files by using the Fax server function then canceling part-way through (still opens the New Fax windows where i drag the attachment to my desktop), but i wouldn't want our users to have to do this (clunky at best).

I have used the Windows 7 Photo Viewer, but it misses one important function and that is the inability to print only select pages, which leads me to believe that it was not developed / designed for multi-page tif files, but rather, as the name implies, photos. 

Problem: I have a 48 page tif file, I need to print page 7, 14, & 26, I have several hundred dollars invested in a operating system and an office suite (I should mention that we have an enterprise agreement), but to print pages 7, 14, & 26 I'll have to buy a 3 party app to do that OR uninstall Office 2010 and install Office 2003 or 2007.  A bit confusing to say the least.

I know IrfanView can do this, but I refuse to buy another application to do what we have been doing for SO LONG with office.  Office 2003 and 2007 can perform this function - why can't Office 2010.  Tif is an industry standard why not suport it?

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 1:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Microsoft Office Document Imaging (MODI) is removed in Microsoft Office 2010. This article also describes the alternative methods that you can use to regain the functionalities of certain MODI features:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982760

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:27 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Skid Rowe Monday, March 19, 2012 5:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Skid Rowe Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:53 AM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:28 AM
  • I followed the instructions at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982760 and used my Office 2007 CD to reinstall just MODI. Then in Windows Explorer, right click a TIFF file and choose the program located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\MODI\12.0\mspview.exe" as the default program to open and my problem is now resolved.

I must say my problem was really to be able to open old TIFF files.

Now I need to locate all my old TIFF files and convert to a more reliable format for long term storage, maybe to PDF :) I just hate the fact that I saved lots of screenshots and web reports in TIFF because I need to refer to them and the format is being phased out and there is no easy way to use MODI to save them as JPEG, PDF or some other more reliable format.

• Marked as answer by Skid Rowe Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:54 AM
    Saturday, April 09, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Steve - This is working for me, but I am a single user.

http://computerlearnhow.com/download-microsoft-office-document-imaging-and-install-it

Good luck!

Regards,

David

• Proposed as answer by DAC13 Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:25 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by DAC13 Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Skid Rowe Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:57 AM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:25 PM
  • A good work around is key to this business and have applied the same long ago and moved on.  I  love a good rant.  I found myself similarly frustrated when I subscribed to this thread and have learned some good concepts.  - Thanks.

As for MS bringing back technologies that have been workshop-ed out by different product teams and fleets of patent attorneys - good luck with that. 

thanks, aa

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You do not need to use Office to open this type of files.

You can download the TIFF view from the link below:

http://www.tiffviewer.com/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you can open the .tiff files by Windows live Photo Gallery.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:06 AM
  • Sally, thanks for the link.  We know we don't have to use Office to perform this function, but we have been for years.  I'm sure the tif viewer you mentioned works fine, but why should we have to buy a third party app when we've been using Microsoft Office Document Imaging for so many years not to mention the cost of our investment (we have an Enterprise Agreement). 

Our assumption, albeit incorrect in this instance, was that Microsoft would NOT have removed a capability in a newer version of their office suite that is utilized by so many users.  The purchase of hundreds of copies of ANY third party app was not forecast in our budget, but we will have to do something.  Back to Office 2007 possibly.

Windows Live Photo Gallery is not an option as our users deal with confidential documents that we can't compromise.

Finally there's the hundreds of users struggling through learning a new application, when they ALL know how to use and are familiar with Microsoft Office Document Imaging.

Steve Rowe
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 3:43 PM
  • Hi,

Microsoft Office Document Imaging (MODI) is removed in Microsoft Office 2010. This article also describes the alternative methods that you can use to regain the functionalities of certain MODI features:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982760

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:27 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Skid Rowe Monday, March 19, 2012 5:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Skid Rowe Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:53 AM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:28 AM
  • Microsoft Office 201 = FAIL

if you upgrade from 2003 to 2010 then your SOL.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982760 - "How to use MODI in 2007 Office together with Office 2010"

Again... Office 2010 = FAIL

Monday, March 14, 2011 12:57 PM
  • Correct - You would think that MS would listen to their sounding boards.  I don't dislike Office in general, but the loss of MODI just really frosts me.  I have many users that are very proficient with MODI and when they ask me what Misrosoft plans to replace it with and I tell them nothing you should see the look on their face.  It's just irritating to spend SO much on an office suite that is being degrated by the loss of tools that have been there for so long.  I don't get it I really don't.

TIFF rules and Microsoft wants to get out of that business.  Hmmm what's up?

Steve Rowe
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:42 AM
  • Hi Steve,

I have the exact same problem. We are upgrading out TS-plattform from 2008/Office2003 to 2008-R2/Office2010 and our users get a lot of pdf and other files they need to convert to tiff. They used to just print to file with MODI and save it as a tiff, but now i don't know what to use.

Have you been able to solve your problem? How?

Saturday, March 26, 2011 3:47 PM
  • I can offer a workaround where you can set up an administrative install of Office 2007 and only include MODI.  It works!  After installation on a PC, you need to (in Windows 7) set the file association for tif/tiff files to MODI.  The MODI - Tools - Options - Other - Reset doesn't seem to work.
    Steve Rowe
    Monday, March 28, 2011 5:58 PM
  • I followed the instructions at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982760 and used my Office 2007 CD to reinstall just MODI. Then in Windows Explorer, right click a TIFF file and choose the program located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\MODI\12.0\mspview.exe" as the default program to open and my problem is now resolved.

I must say my problem was really to be able to open old TIFF files.

Now I need to locate all my old TIFF files and convert to a more reliable format for long term storage, maybe to PDF :) I just hate the fact that I saved lots of screenshots and web reports in TIFF because I need to refer to them and the format is being phased out and there is no easy way to use MODI to save them as JPEG, PDF or some other more reliable format.

• Marked as answer by Skid Rowe Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:54 AM
    Saturday, April 09, 2011 3:15 PM
  • I installed MODI from my 2007 CD and I am able to view TIFF files using mspview.exe. However, how do I print or "save as" in Word, Excel, etc 2010 to a tif or mdi. I do not see and way to select that as an output.
    Monday, April 18, 2011 5:36 PM
  • Really the tiff format is good for any scanned documents that might need to be OCR'ed.  Not very efficient for graphics due to loss of quality and file size, but as far as it going away, I think lots of archive stores use it as their standard.  Not sure what Microsoft was thinking by not including MODI in their latest version then providing a work around after the fact.  Kinda' silly if you ask me.  Maybe MODI didn't meet Microsoft's asthetic metric, so they excluded it.  Only they know for sure. 

Steve Rowe
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 3:56 AM
  • THe same way you did with Pre Office 2010.  Instead of Save you Print to the Microsoft Document Image Writer.  It will ask you where to save the file and you have an OCR'able tiff file.
    Steve Rowe
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 4:00 AM
  • Wow!! I thought i was first one to figure out the issue with the tiff and windows 7 photo viewer.

Surprisingly  I am not amazed as am getting used to it.

We have a similar issue where all the scanners are configured to send emails with tiff attachments when scanned and now as we moved to windows 7 we realize that the tiff is in compatible.

Please let us know if there is any patch that I can install in all the windows 7 machine which will fix the issue(dreaming big ;) )

Thank you

Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:09 AM
  • It's no that tiff is incompatable!!  Tiff is the industry standard for OCRable digital documents.  Microsoft has just kicked us to the curb and stopped supporting multi-page tiff file through Office 2010 by excluding MODI.

You either have to purchase (for business purposes) a tiff viewer or... Complain to Microsoft!!  Of course it will be like talking to a wall, but hey maybe if enough people complain they'll bring it back.  I'm so funny!!

Alternatively install MODI from Office 2007.  If it's for multiple users do a custom admin install to a network path and JUST include MODI.  It works great.  Remember in W7 you need set file assosiation for tif/tiff manually.

Steve Rowe
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 6:39 PM
  • Windows Phote Viewer on Win7 could view and print tif file.
    Best regards,

Daisy Cao
    Forum Support
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 09, 2011 6:01 AM
  • The problem with the Windows Photo Viewer is that printing is all or nothing.  If you have a multi-page tiff file, and you only need to print page 4 of 12, you're out of luck.  You have to print the whole file and then discard the pages you don't want.  Not a very green option.

A workaround that I have found is to print the file from Windows Photo Viewer to the Microsoft XPS Document Writer or a PDF writer that we have on our Windows 7 machines.  Once you have converted your .tif file to one of these formats you can print individual pages. 

This option works, but is not ideal.  It may not seem like that much effort, but when you consider a large number of our users receive faxes and other documents in .tif format on a daily basis, and we are deploying approximately 10,000 Windows 7 / Office 2010 machines to our enterprise, the amount of work effort adds up very quickly.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:10 PM
  • another issue is that the photo viewer dies whith large tiffs as well. i have a 84 page Tiff in front of me here, its 11mb and when I hit page 54, it says its corrupt. it works fine on all other tiff viewers.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:14 PM
  • We were moving from Windows 2003/Presentation Server 4/Office 2003 to Windows 2008 R2/Office 2010/XenApp 6.0 and we found that we .TIFF and .TIF files were not associated in any useful way. After a little research we found that we needed to only create 5 registry keys for both .TIFF/.TIF to resolve the viewing issue.

The keys were:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.tif\OpenWithList
    Value = a
    Type = REG_SZ
    Data = PhotoViewer.dll

HKEY_CURRENT_USER Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.tif\OpenWithList
    Value = MRUList
    Type = REG_SZ
    Data = a

HKEY_CURRENT_USER Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.tif\OpenWithProgids
    Value = TIFImage.Document
    Type = REG_SZ
    Data = 0

HKEY_CURRENT_USER Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.tif\OpenWithProgids
    Value = OIStiffile
    Type = REG_SZ
    Data = 0

HKEY_CURRENT_USER Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.tif\UserChoice
    Value = Progid
    Type = REG_SZ
    Data = Applications\\dllhost.exe

These were applied via GPO Registry Preferences to all users on the new desktop and the issue was resolved. We have had no calls for printing the files eother since the change. This also mean't not having to install legacy office components, but used Windows picture viewer which allows multi page TIFF/TIF files

The full article is here: http://chrisainger.com/2012/03/04/associating-tiff-tif-files-with-windows-picture-viewer/

Hope this helps

Chris Ainger

• Edited by Chris Ainger Saturday, March 17, 2012 2:19 PM Missed URL
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 2:13 PM
  • Chris, I will try this as soon as I possibly can, but I wonder if I can edit, markup, delete pages, redact and well you get the drift, tif files in Windows Picture Viewer?  I'm guessing not.  Albeit this is a band-aid I'm thinking that nothing besides paying more money for our enterprise to do what we've been doing for years will fix this problem.

It just miffs me that MODI would be kicked by the wayside with no replacement as if no one does anything with tif files anymore.  We may not be part of the Consumenr Base (I'm thinking), but we do use Office in a business envoronment and need to work with tif files and (until a suitable archivable replacement comes along) will for the forseeable future.

Unfortunately, I think I need to abandon this topic as Microsoft doesn't seem to really care that this issue gets resolved.  I guess we'll just have to start looking for tif editing software replacements unless someone can suggest an enterprise solution that's comparable to MODI.

Steve

Don't roll over - Yell until they grease you!

Steve Rowe

Monday, March 19, 2012 5:53 PM
  • Let me throw this at you all.  Microsoft FAX system, 2003 - 2011 servers, all bring faxes in TIFF format where companies have hundreds of these come in daily and no way to manage them without 3rd party ripoff applications.

Thank you Microscrap

Monday, August 06, 2012 3:58 PM
  • The issue is not that it can do that.. the issue is that people can't print individual pages.  Only the entire TIFF !!!

;)

Monday, August 06, 2012 5:45 PM
  • lol.. omg.. another great discovery.  Thanks for the heads up.
    Monday, August 06, 2012 5:47 PM
  • Steve - This is working for me, but I am a single user.

http://computerlearnhow.com/download-microsoft-office-document-imaging-and-install-it

Good luck!

Regards,

David

• Proposed as answer by DAC13 Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:25 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by DAC13 Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:25 PM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:25 PM
  • David, thanks for the reply and yes this does work, in fact I have set up an Office 2007 MODI only manifest for my users that need multi-page tiff capability.

It still, after all this time, slays me that MS would ever consider removing MODI to replace it with a single-page OS based tif/tiff viewer.  Just crazy!! 

I still monitor this post and I'm going to leave it open until someone from Microsoft responds with a response to the effect, we have reconsidered and have decided to re-introduce MODI into our newest office suites.

Funny, huh?  Like they would listen to a user

Steve Rowe

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:11 AM
  • A good work around is key to this business and have applied the same long ago and moved on.  I  love a good rant.  I found myself similarly frustrated when I subscribed to this thread and have learned some good concepts.  - Thanks.

As for MS bringing back technologies that have been workshop-ed out by different product teams and fleets of patent attorneys - good luck with that. 

thanks, aa

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:46 PM
  • You're right Anan, I'm too old to worry about this.  It is what it is and there's no changing that.  I'll quit wincing when the MODI topic comes up, install MODI 2007 and press on.  It's awesome and is the best tiff scanning and viewing app I have ever used, bar none!

Sure wish they'd kept it - sorry

Steve Rowe

Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:51 AM
  • I'm running the 64bit version of Office 2010, I need to install MODI.  Is it compatible with 64bit office?  I ask because when Office 2010 64bit was installed, it mentions that it cannot exist side-by-side with any prvious 32bit office versions.

If that is the case, then we need a 64bit version of MODI.

We spend millions of dollars a year on our select agreement, seems like this capability could be added back in to office 2010 or 2013.

I'm another admin who has seen time and again features removed that our users utilized, replaced with something different.  It's getting old.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:14 PM
  • I've found the most reliable and convenient solution to the MODI issues with Windows 7 is to use a program called Irfanview. I've been using this program for about 10 years now and never had any problems. If you end up downloading it and using it a lot please donate to the author Irfan. I used it for about 8 years before I donated, I felt like I owed him that much for such a great program.

It's unfortunate that Microsoft (more times then not) removes basic functionality from their products. Sometimes hiding or completely removing services for the sake of whatever flavor-of-the-month design philosophy they're subscribing to. Just look at the bizarre design logic for Windows 8. The OS is actually better then Windows 7 in terms of performance but that was over looked by a design philosophy not suitable for a desktop; they soon realized what everyone else was saying from the beginning as if it was some big surprise to them. 

Such as this quote from Microsoft

"We started talking about the desktop as an app. But in reality, for PC buyers, the desktop is important."

Well of course it is!

The vast majority of Windows users use Windows for (wait for it)...... Desktop Personal Computers. 

I would like to apologize for this long-winded diatribe but it just needed to be said.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:32 PM
  • Hi Jack, The designation is 1 of a few, Techno-Amish. The Amish technologist is a rare breed, but we are able to make great cheese. Glad you are on the team.  The problem is that MS wants more market share in the growing tablet market, a new mode of buggy . The CEO, COO and CIO, our ideal customer types are not deskbound and think in that paradigm, Win 8,  is the right move, late in coming. 

Retraining opens the mind and creates better workers. The desktop is not going away but the desktop bound decision maker is extinct. I'll use your suggestion, as it may help make more cheese. Thanks.

thanks, aa

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:05 PM
  • Michigan Jack, thanks for the response!  I agree that Irfanview is a great piece of software.  In our organization we do purchase it on PC's we need it on.  If I find it on a PC that hasn't paid for it, I uninstall it if their department head won't pay for it.  I'm sure you are aware that it is only free for personal use.  This is my contention with MODI.  We relied on it for years and Microsoft pulled it!!  We have documents that must be archived and MODI is the best document viewer for this (in my opinion) with no other way to view multipage tif files, Microsoft really messed things up.

I also agree with you about Windows 8.  Really! for an enterprise environment you have to have a Live ID to set up mail in Metro.  We block any mail accounts except for our users Exchange account with a GPO.  Check your personal mail at home.  Our local taxpayers shouldn't have to pay to have our users check their personal mail at work on the taxpayers dime.  I know people that would quit if they didn't have a Start Button (AKA Orb).

Steve Rowe

Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:02 AM