none
outlook 2010 hangs trying to connect to exchange server when the address book is clicked on

Question

• We have noticed fairly recently (about 1-2 weeks ago) that outlook 2010 will hang when a user clicks on the address book or the "to".  The message will say "trying to connect to exchange server".  We've even had this happen on a freshly installed copy of windows and outlook.  This happens with several mailboxes as well.  We've tried new mapi profiles, repairing office, and a fresh reinstall of office.  We've tried cached and online mode.  We've tried safe mode as well.  Sometimes when this happens the first time, if the user ends outlook through task manager then reopens it, then the address book will work fine.  There is no consistency in the issue sometimes it will work for a day or two, but we have yet to find a permanent solution.  Any assistance out there will be greatly appreciated.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Now, we need to confirm whether this behavior is only happened  when Outlook connects Global Address list.

Please turn off AVG/Firewall first. Find the address book under Home Tab > Find section, and then choose Tools > Option > adjust the option "When opening the address book, show this address list first" to a local contact folder. Please test the result if Outlook still hangs when click TO field.

If the issue would be gone, we may continue to try to manually download full Address book from Send/Receive Tab > Send/Receive Groups, get the setting back to GAL to see what would happen.

If you receive any error code or message when you download Offline address book, please post here and let me know. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 3:25 AM
  • I just attempted this, I changed to my contact folder, then I tried opening up the address book several times about 4 or so times and it opened up every time.  I even then clicked on the global address book from the drop-down once it opened and for at least 3 times it opened up fine.  I closed and reopened outlook each time between these tests, then on about the 4th time when I tried to open up the global address list it just sat there spinning with an hour glass over the outlook icon.  I then ended the outlook task (since it was hung up) and went and was able to successfully download it. 
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:32 PM
  • Well. To solve the issue, please use ADplus tool to collect crash dump log and analyze it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286350

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:04 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Friday, October 26, 2012 10:11 AM