none
Default Printer not showing in Word 2007

Question

• Hi,

I am using a Word 2007 in a XP SP3 OS. Every time I try to print in word the default printer is not showing. it just shows a blank portion, if i click on the drop down list the printers are there, if i try to select one of them it does not get selected. hence i am not able to print in word 2007. but for excel and others the printer is getting detected automatically and i can select various printers in the list. please help. thanks!

Monday, January 17, 2011 4:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Is it a local printer or a network printer?

Can you set the printer in other Office programs, such as Outlook, Excel?

If it works in other programs, start Word with /a switch, and check if you can change the printer.

Run: "%programfiles%\microsoft office\office12\winword.exe" /a

If this issue does not occur when starting Word using /a switch, we can try to rename the Word Global Template

If this issue also occurs with other programs, we might need to reinstall the printer driver.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:09 AM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is it a local printer or a network printer?

Can you set the printer in other Office programs, such as Outlook, Excel?

If it works in other programs, start Word with /a switch, and check if you can change the printer.

Run: "%programfiles%\microsoft office\office12\winword.exe" /a

If this issue does not occur when starting Word using /a switch, we can try to rename the Word Global Template

If this issue also occurs with other programs, we might need to reinstall the printer driver.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:09 AM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:30 AM
  • I have a user with the same issue.  Excel, One Note, IE, all print.  Printer is set to default.  MS Word 2007 does not print.  Patches up to date. 

When printing from word, the printer select box initially appears as empty.  I select the default printer and it stays empty.  I select One Note and am able to print to that from Word.  Home user. No other printers to try.

I tried the "/a" switch above.  I deleted Normal.dot file and tried again.  Then proceeded with the tasks below in varying orders.

1. Repair Office

2.  Reinstall Office.

3. Remove printer

4. Rinstall printer.

Printer is an HP C8180 AIO.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks

Doug

Monday, March 21, 2011 2:50 PM
  • We have a clean install of Windows 7 32-bit and Office 2007 everything is patched. We have tried renaming normal.dotm and still have the same problem. Only ours is not the default printer.  When we goto select an alternate printer we click the drop down list, click the printer and the selection box stays empty and no printer is selected.  The Printer status, type and where never change from the default printer. 

We can print from ANY other program to the printer of our choice.

We have also tried updated printer drivers as well.  What is interesting is that this problem does not exist under the administrator account. Even when this users account was setup with Local Admin privilidges.

Interestingly enough, if we logon as a different user the printers work fine. Im going to wipe out this users profile and recreate it and that should fix the problem.

Monday, May 09, 2011 8:09 PM
  • Any update on this?

We are experiencing a similar problem in our Citrix environment.

The setup is on Win2008R2 servers with Word 2007 all the latest patches installed.

In our case the problem comes and goes and only appears in Office.

All other applications work fine.

Friday, July 01, 2011 1:47 PM