none
Convert tab delimited file to excel

Question

• Hi there,

One of our users here is having an issue with an Excel spreadsheet. He receives an automated email with an Excel spreadsheet attached from SAP but when he tries to open it it comes up with this error "Cannot create file: OOS_9229.xls. Right-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder". Normally this refers to them needing to empty their temp internet files, which I tried but it didnt resolve the issue. I had him send me the file and I received this error when trying to open it "The file you are trying to open, 'OOS_9229.xls', is in a different format than specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now?" to which I select Yes. Once it opens, I try to save the file and it comes up saying the extension is 'Text (tab delimited)".

I've researched this but cant seem to come across anything that tells me how to run a script or something similar so the excel document opens properly every time. Is there any way to do this? I dont want to have to do it for each time he receives the file which is once a week. I'm still new to the IT world so i'm a bit stumped!

Please help me if you can!

Cheers,
    Alana

Friday, June 22, 2012 6:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, I think the error message occurs in your users’ computer doesn’t indicate to empty the  temp internet files, instead, I think that this issue will occur when the Temporary Internet Files folder is stored on a server on which you do not have sufficient permissions.

To resolve this, please refer to the following link to install the fix or modify the registry.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305982

As the error message you received in your computer, which version of Excel do you use? If it is Excel 2007, then refer to the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948615

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 25, 2012 2:54 AM
  • Hi Alana,

So, are you sure the file being sent by SAP is, in fact, an Excel file? Or is it a tab-delimited text file? Simply appending '.xls' to a tab-delimited text file does not make it an Excel file and could explain the second error message, in particular.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, June 25, 2012 2:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, I think the error message occurs in your users’ computer doesn’t indicate to empty the  temp internet files, instead, I think that this issue will occur when the Temporary Internet Files folder is stored on a server on which you do not have sufficient permissions.

To resolve this, please refer to the following link to install the fix or modify the registry.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305982

As the error message you received in your computer, which version of Excel do you use? If it is Excel 2007, then refer to the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948615

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 25, 2012 2:54 AM
  • Hi Alana,

So, are you sure the file being sent by SAP is, in fact, an Excel file? Or is it a tab-delimited text file? Simply appending '.xls' to a tab-delimited text file does not make it an Excel file and could explain the second error message, in particular.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, June 25, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Thanks guys but I found the issue. It wouldnt open because Outlook has some sort of limit restriction to opening a file with the same name multiple times. Once it reaches 99 times being opened, it causes this error message on the 100th time so I removed it from the Content.Outlook folder under C:\users\username\AppData\Local\Temporary Internet Files and it resolved the issue.

Thanks,

Alana

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:51 PM