none
Followup emails sending to same individual after I send a file

Question

• I work for a software company that sends files all the time through emails to our customers such as access codes etc. What i am looking for is for outlook to automatically send a certain generic email to any individual that i send an email to that has an attachment and i was wondering if this was possible. 

I will try to elaborate since this may be confusing...

Basically when i send any email to one of my customers with an attachment i would like a followup email to auto-send that will let the customer know that we sent said file and to contact us if he does not receive it.

The reason we would like this is because we work with some high system security clients and there email and virus protection setups sometimes will relocate or remove the email when it spots an attachment or a hyperlink so the followup would let the individual know that the file was sent so if they did not receive it they can contact us and we can send it in a different way.

Please note that we only want this followup to be sent if we have an attachment in the email.

We are very open to suggestions here so if there is another method please advise, we even considered typing a numerical code at the end of our emails if outlook could recognize that code and send it.

Thank you for your time.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry, it doesn't seem that we need to send an additional E-mail for tracking messages in Outlook. You can enable the Delivery and read receipts  options. You can refer to the following article:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/add-tracking-to-email-messages-HA010355569.aspx

You can add the notification text to the original message for noticing the customers to check the attachement.

Best regards,

Rex Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:24 AM
  • Thank you Rex, We have tried the read receipts but sometimes the user hits no which then never sends us one and we don't actually know if they received them, but a bigger problem we found with them was when we CC multiple people everyone who opens the file then gets prompted for the read receipt and we sometimes get multiple receipts and everyone gets prompted.

I really appreciate the help and prompt response, thank you.

Friday, January 18, 2013 4:32 PM