none
Excel 2010 crashes when attempting to change a chart title

Question

• I am building a regression analysis explainatory excel workbook and when attempting to repair a mistyped Chart title the excel program crashes. It will allow deletion of characters in the title but as soon as I attempt to add a new character it crashes. The recovery file will be autosaved with the additional charater added to the chart title. This is a quite repeatable error with this file.

the file can be RIGHT CLICK downloaded here:

http://www.greatgarfield.com/file_pickup/index.php

Thanks in advance for any help.

"when the world has you turned around and upside down...sometimes it's easier to stand on your head and spin"
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 1:53 PM

All replies

• Hi RonF57...

fyi, the link does IMHO not work; redirection to a parked website.

Regards :-)

MVP Office System - www.excel-ticker.de
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 2:17 PM
  • sorry, you are right that download didn't work .

I have it fixed now. and the file crashes everytime i try to change a chart title.

thanks in advance for the help.

"when the world has you turned around and upside down...sometimes it's easier to stand on your head and spin"
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 12:43 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for fixing the link.

Unfortunately I am unable to replicate the issue with the file in both 2007 and 2010.

I have tried changing the title by editing the title as displayed in the chart (click in title backspace and type etc) and redefining the title via the edit option in the select data dialog and selecting a range from the spread sheet to change the name.  Neither have caused any problems during editing or saving the file after editing.

Both my versions are fully patched.

In an attempt to push it to the limit I tested in 2003 Compatibility, still no issue.

G North MMI
    • Edited by G North Tuesday, May 31, 2011 2:01 PM more testing
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 1:36 PM
  • Hi

Not sure how your getting on with this, any progress?

I did stumble on another thread which, although not specifically about chart title editing, is about unexplained crashing whilst editing charts.  It has a solution so here's the link maybe it's something you could try.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/excel/thread/e50dafe5-473c-48cb-b832-04c459e0c4f0

G North MMI
    Thursday, June 02, 2011 7:23 PM
  • For what it's worth, I have the same experience running Office 2010 Pro with latest updates/service packs (as of mid October 2011).  In case it helps anyone, I'm running windows 7 on a MacBook Pro.  

I can add a chart to a spreadsheet, I can add a title, I can delete the text of the title...but the moment I type a character in the title it's a 100% guaranteed crash.

Details:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: EXCEL.EXE

Application Version: 14.0.6106.5005

Application Timestamp: 4e26f2d8

Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17651

Fault Module Timestamp: 4e21213c

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000000000000cacd

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

LCID: 1033

skulcid: 1033

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:03 PM
  • If you're running Windows on a Mac, this can solve your problem.

Open Control Panel
    In view mode “View by Category”, find the section “Clock, Language and Region”
    Click “Change Keyboards or other input methods”
    Press the button “Change Keyboards”
    Press the button “Add”
    Scroll down to “English (United States)” and expand.
    Check box “US”
    Press OK.
    Press OK. — You’ll see two keyboards listed “US” and “United States (Apple)”
    Press OK.

This is an issue of your keyboard driver not sufficiently being enabled through your Bootcamp drivers, or so forth.

• Proposed as answer by txtny Wednesday, February 01, 2012 12:37 AM
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 4:22 PM
  • This man saved the day! I was having the exact same issues of a 100% guaranteed crash if I tried to rename a graph in Excel 2010!

I ended up not being able to participate in my business class today from this issue, first Excel crashed, then I re-opened it, tried to fix my spelling error in graph title and once again it crashed.In pure rage I thought oh well I'll just hop over to OS X and load the file with Excel 2011 for Mac, but when I went to shut off windows, it began a series of updates (12 in total) which of COURSE took about 40 minutes to complete!

Thanks microsoft. Or should I blame apple? Whatever, I'm just glad it's fixed.

Thanks Jonny.

• Edited by fps_colton Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:38 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:37 PM
  • If you're running Windows on a Mac, this can solve your problem.

Open Control Panel
    In view mode “View by Category”, find the section “Clock, Language and Region”
    Click “Change Keyboards or other input methods”
    Press the button “Change Keyboards”
    Press the button “Add”
    Scroll down to “English (United States)” and expand.
    Check box “US”
    Press OK.
    Press OK. — You’ll see two keyboards listed “US” and “United States (Apple)”
    Press OK.

This is an issue of your keyboard driver not sufficiently being enabled through your Bootcamp drivers, or so forth.

THANK YOU!! I registered just to thank you for this. I ran into this very strange problem and was confused, but your solution worked perfectly. Thank you so much
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 12:38 AM
  • This was a very frustrating problem. The solution works great.
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 3:57 AM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
    Friday, March 23, 2012 2:12 AM
  • Hi JonnyT11,

Thanx a ton. Adding the keyboard was like miracle. I had tried earlier reinstalling million times and also running diagnostics leaving me disappointed. I tried typing equation in Mathtype and that crashed too similar to excel. Once I followed your advice and added the keyboard in control panel, it works liek a charm. Thanx a ton........... Zillion Thanx

Thursday, May 24, 2012 9:58 PM
  • Thank you so much! I know this was an old discussion, but I just had this problem and you are a life saver!
    • Edited by chemchick8810 Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:04 PM spelling
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:04 PM
  • oh man am i glad i came across this thread!  this exact issue was happening to me in a couple different office applications (notably excel and powerpoint) on my bootcamp partition and this solved it perfectly!  thanks!
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:29 PM