none
Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened.

Question

• I just installed a fresh version of Office 2010 with Outlook.  As per the suggestion, I uninstalled Office 2007 first.  When I opened Outlook 2010, I got this message.  followed thread suggesting....

Running this command "Outlook.exe /resetnavpane" from Start->Run

C:\Users\<USERID>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook

You will find <outlook profile name>.xml.  Rename this file to <outlook profile name>.xml.original.

Followed instructions associated with both and still get the same message.

Click and get message:  "The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable.  Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."
    I then get a General box with space for entering Microsoft Exchange server and mailbox info, I click and it sends me back to the "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook.  Cannot open the Outlook window.  The set of folders cannot be opened." message.  An eternal loop, then Outlook shuts down.

Please suggest solution.
    Sunday, March 06, 2011 8:24 PM

Answers

• I would just recreate a new profile.

Use Start Menu Search to find Mail.   Open it and create a new profile.   Make sure the new profile is set to default.

Walter
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:45 AM
    Sunday, March 06, 2011 9:34 PM

All replies

• I would just recreate a new profile.

Use Start Menu Search to find Mail.   Open it and create a new profile.   Make sure the new profile is set to default.

Walter
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:45 AM
    Sunday, March 06, 2011 9:34 PM
  • "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened."

This error demonstrates a critical security flaw in Microsoft Outlook that for at least a decade has been ignored by Microsoft. This security fault is related to Outlook setting the first installed account as an unchangeable "default" account. When user tries to change the :deafault to another account as Outlined in application instructions, Outlook refuses to remove that primary account, even though it is not a "default" account. When the original PST file is moved or deleted using  any Windows application, then Outlook will not open.

Suggested is a 3-step response.

1. Ensure existing PST files are securely backed up, and uninstall Office.
    2. Run a thorough regiustry scan and wipe Office out Completely!
    3. Reinstall Office MAKING ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that you choose the primary email account you really, really, really want to keep in your Outlook Email Folders pane.

Note that "repairing" Office will not repair this Microsoft Office critical Outlook error.

Assorted Microsft Outlook 2007-2010 symptoms:

• Email from all users' old and incoming mail gets inconsistently scattered around all active Outlook account Email Folders.
    • Outlook will not start. Remeber, restoring the original 'lost' PST file to it's original location will result mail scattering!

Other than the effective 3-step solution above, the following ineddective solutions have been offered by Microsoft:

1. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\SCANPST.EXE ... "whatever"
    2. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE /resetnavpane ... "Windows cannot find [file]"
    3. "We are aware of this issue. [Office XP - Office 2010]"

Personal reflection: since the issue is such a glaring problem, one must consider that this failed application programmatic hook (or hook-set API) has something to do with Outlook security. Whay else would a company with resources like Microsoft has at its disposal fail to fix such an annoyiing program flaw? Security is a never ending nightmare, so for sure, in a pinch, that would be the Microsoft "fess-up". In that respect, so glad my Outlook security is constantly improving.

BTW! My 3-step fix above is not working. Outlook is junk on my system.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:16 AM
  • Hello,

Here are a few things to elaborate on his issue and the problems he is having.

He stated above that it asked him to rename his xml file to .original xml file.   The reason for this is because Outlook configuration settings are stored in an xml files.  By doing so it will load Outlook with original configuration settings and should allow for Outlook to open.  (Personalization not account setting)   This ususally occures because of a third party application causing it to crash.   By doing so you are removing the settings for the third party application.

Based on your description above the following options have been available since Outlook 2003 that I am aware of.

Go to Control Panel and then do a search for Mail.   You can also do it from the start menu.

Note Outlook does have an issue with removing the last account from Outlook while it is open, but it should give you a dialogue box telling you to use the mail settings from control panel.

Within the mail settings option.

You can manipulate E-mail Accounts, Date files (PST's), and Show Profiles.

By going into profile you can delete all profiles and start from scratch like when you first installed Outlook.   Usually I just create another profile and then tell it to automatically open using the new profile.  That way if there are issues with things missing out of the new profile you can recover them.

It should not be necessary to uninstall and remove registry entries. 

Thank you,

Walter
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:05 PM