none
Problems with IMAP and Outlook 2013

Question

• This is really frustrating. Suddenly my IMAP account won't synchronize properly in Outlook 2013 (via Office 365) on Win 7. This account was working just fine for years and suddenly stopped working. I have deleted the entire account and folder set numerous times and tried different ways to make it work, but it still won't allow me to delete any emails in either the inbox or sent mail folders, nor will it automatically store sent mail in the sent items folder. The sync failures show up in the log. The exact same account works fine with Outlook 2011 on the Mac and Outlook 2013 on Win RT 8.1. More surprising, this does not affect all IMAP accounts. My Gmail still seems OK, as does another IMAP account.

What's up Microsoft? Is this a new bug you just introduced? This is pretty basic stuff. I hope you have an answer or will figure this out quickly. It affects a lot of people!

Monday, November 25, 2013 5:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Does this issue occur in OWA?

Did you get any error message when you tried to delete an email?

Please follow the steps below to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Empty the Deleted Items folder by right clicking on the Deleted Items folder and choosing Empty Folder, and then try to delete a message again.

2. Run Scanpst.exe to scan your Outlook date files for errors.

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/77

More troubleshooting steps, please refer to the following article:

http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/deletemessage.htm

In addition, the updates released in Nov may cause the issue. To work around this issue, go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings > Change Account > More Settings > Advanced Tab. In Folders > Root folder path: enter: Inbox and then check the issue again.

Here is thread that described the same problem, you can check it to see if it helps:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/482b353f-eaa9-4367-989f-47b66e361cca/outlook-2013-fails-after-latest-ms-updates-nov-13th-2013?forum=o

Best Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 8:15 AM
  • Thanks very much, Steve.

The "inbox" entry in the Folder Path seemed to do the trick, at least in allowing me to delete emails from any of the IMAP folders, which previously produced an error. Hopefully the folders will now sync properly.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:01 PM
  • Despite fixing the ability to delete emails, I am still getting Sync Errors as follows:

10:02:46 Synchronizer Version 15.0.4551.1004

10:02:46 Synchronizing Mailbox 'XXX@YYY.com'

10:02:46 Synchronizing local changes in folder 'Sent'

10:02:57                   190 item(s) added to offline folder

10:02:57 Error synchronizing folder

10:02:57                                 [800CCC0F-0-0-560]

10:02:57 Canceled

Any further thoughts on how to fix this?

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:05 PM
  • Hi,

Does the error cause Outlook not to sync?

It may be caused by the updates released in Nov. Please try to uninstall the KB2837618 and KB2837643 and restart Outlook for several times to check the result. More inofrmation, please refer:

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/2013/outlook-2013-imap-troubles/

Regards,

Steve Fan

Monday, December 02, 2013 2:19 AM
  • Thanks, Steve.

Putting "inbox" in the folder path has fixed the problems (mostly), though I still get sync errors on both my IMAP accounts and Exchange 2010 account. It is really amazing to me that after decades of delivering Outlook and Exchange, MSFT still can't get it right. Jeez. It just shouldn't be this hard.

Gerry

Monday, December 02, 2013 5:25 PM
  • Hi Gerry,

Since you didn't mention whether you uninstalled the KB2837618 and KB2837643, I'd like to confirm this. The updates may cause IMAP sync issue, if you havn't tried uninstalling them, would you please try it and let me know the result.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 7:26 AM
  • Steve, 

Thanks for you follow-up. I have not had problems with Outlook crashing, and I don't have an Exchange 2007 account (I use 2010). The piece you referred me to suggests that the IMAP features added by these updates are worth retaining and not to remove them unless I am experiencing crashes.

I still get sync problems, but not every time. So i am loathe to fool around with this too much. I'm hoping that MSFT fixes whatever this problem is soon.

Thanks,

Gerry

Monday, December 09, 2013 3:31 AM